Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Same, I think it is greatest mark I seen caught on camera and sadly it is only one angle and not full picture, but enough to get just how amazing it is.

I also think his goal late in 1970 grand final with his kick on his wrong left side to go through for a goal is probably the most epic goal in football history.
A grand final of biggest crowd ever, with biggest comeback ever and that probably is the very moment most people in that ground that day, realised Carlton were going to win. It shows his cat like balance to just swoop in before two Pies players can get it and in quick fashion kicks long for goal on instinct from a long way out. It looks like he just summed up in that moment kicking long for goal and hoping it would have enough momentum to bounce all the way through was what was needed. I find it far more epic than the famous mark in the same grand final.

Collingwood still had real hope just before this. McKenna did not quite get it and whilst everyone must have been processing that, the sealer happens seconds later down other end...

Definitely a wonderful goal, like the greats always do they somehow always tend to do the difficult things brilliantly while making it look much easier than it looks, that mark imo is top 5 greatest off all time...

Next up we have Stephen Kernahan vs Bryce Gibbs.

Sticks enters the competition here as the 4th seed, whilst Gibbs just squeaked past Docherty to take his place in the second round.

Sensing this one may go similarly to the way a few others have in this second round, but vote away regardless.

Who are you voting for and why?

Sticks.

A potent CHF and in later years FF.

A fantastic mark, a wonderful leader. Dual premiership captain.

An excellent proponent of kicking the ball so it looked like it was caught up in a hurricane yet somehow went through for a goal.

To think if he'd come over earlier he might have kicked 1000 goals for Carlton or near enough.

On the Carlton Mount Rushmore...

Gibbs didn't quite live up to his potential but still gave us a decade of good B+ footy with bursts of elite patches. A very good career, but nothing on the ultimate #4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love both these players.

Sticks wins.

I remember the first time I fell in love with Sticks. It was the 1985 SANFL GF. Glenelg won the premiership and he was instrumental in that victory. I think they played North Adelaide (I CBF’d looking it up). Early in the game Sticks took front position for a marking contest and received a vigorous ear massage. He displayed experience beyond his years when he chose to take a defender’s position in a marking contest later in the match and delivered a KO rather than an ear massage. At Carlton he was never a dirty player and I put it down to this incident. He was a man who played fairly and it was best that you played that way against him.

Stig O'Hara is right. We’ve never seen a better contested mark in a Carlton jumper. He ended up kicking 738 goals for Carlton. Overall he kicked 1028 when you add his goals for The Bays (I haven’t added in the 10 he got against Doully in the State of Origin). Probably close to half of those from CHF. The mind boggles at those numbers.

Bryce, like so many of our recent players, suffers from the lack of success that the club has experienced post 2000. Throw in a couple of flags and he’s a great of the club. It’s still a record that stands up. 231 games in 11 seasons and a John Nicholls in 2014. He was a versatile player who went back and then forward before we finally decided he could run through the middle. I’ll never forget that interview after he was traded to the Cows. He didn’t know what to feel. His quavering voice gave us the depth of his love for Carlton. In hindsight, his career was over when he went back to Adelaide. He’s been shithouse in a Crows jumper.

Sticks is the best player I've consistently seen over the course of my life time at Carlton. Not my favorite but the best by some margin over the number of seasons and games I was able to attend. Diesel the most skillful, Sticks still the best.

There is nothing Sticks wouldn't do for the club on and off the field. One of the best clubmen and leaders ever.

Gibbs bled for the guernsey but needed a better culture when he arrived to the club than he got. I feel comfortable in suggesting that had it been there from day one he would have been a Brownlow medalist. Alas, it wasn't to be. Yet it's clear he loved the club and his mates.

Sticks for me.

Sticks all the way. An inspirational leader of a team of champions. A man for the occasion. Brilliant contested mark.

Gibbs was a very talented player with great versatility. Did some great work minding some champions and across half back. Became a clearance player with us late. A polished player, but not particularly physical to his detriment.

Kernahan wins this one quite well.

J lock it away for Jezza

Bring out the next combatants
love a famous moment seen from another angle - a split second later and not the grace of the back shot - jerka showing typical dirty collingwood tactics......

Alex_Jesaulenko_%281970%29.jpg

..........one crumb serge was never gonna get........crosswell thinking 'pay that'........

It took a while to get Sticks to Carlton, but once he got there he became Carlton. Great mark, great leader and great man.

Poor Bryce, came in at a bad time, i remember when they were trying to teach him as a youngster by playing him on the oppositions best player every week. I just wonder what could have been.

Sticks by heaps.

Back