Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the most undisciplined players to ever play the game could hardly be classed as a “complete footballer” ...

What I would do to have rhyce in this side. He didn't play soft. Do you consider why he has a premiership medal? When you win a norm smith you are best on ground in the biggest game of the year. Therefore you are a complete player who was the major factor in your team reaching the summit

What I would do to have rhyce in this side. He didn't play soft. Do you consider why he has a premiership medal? When you win a norm smith you are best on ground in the biggest game of the year. Therefore you are a complete player who was the major factor in your team reaching the summit

I too would love Rhys in this team today.
But that’s a different matter than labeling him a complete footballer.
He probably has a premiership medal because in that era, Carlton had the most money.
That’s the way it was then.
I’m not here to knock Rhys, but it is well documented Brereton probably shouldn’t have even been out there, that said, Rhys did the job.
Talented, skilled, passionate ... but not complete.

I wonder how many are voting for Rhys-Jones off the back of one game?
That would be incredibly silly for those who seen his career he was an incredible talented player just created time and space for himself, wonderful footy brain played a little like Pendlebury not quick great vision and evasiveness but just made things happen with the ball... played hard and copped it hard but took it on the chin...
Rhys for me...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you see his return from major knee surgery game against * at Windy Hill in 1992?

I was most likely there.

Point I was making, is I don't know Rhys-Jones career stacks up to the Lance if the Norm Smith winning performance is removed. Whitnall played twice as many games, a B&F, all-Australian, and several top 10 B&F finishes. Rhys was a good player among many greats.

For me i don’t get just because a player played with greats he is assumed to be lucky particularly compared to others of different eras of different circumstances even if he was a great player himself.
I understand there are and have been plenty of players that are solid players lucky enough to play in great sides surrounded by greats, but Rhys’s talents were far beyond a solid or lucky player...

Mark Waugh....

EHQ5DO9WoAQ3xzc.jpg

Imagine Fev and Whitnall in a strong, positive, culture.
Often think about how potent and well balanced our forward line could have been if we could of kept it all together with the right culture.

In the 2000 PF vs * we had Fevola, Whitnall, Hamill, Lappin, Hickmott.... Betts and Houlihan weren’t that far away from joining them also!

Back