Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

haveago

lovethegame02
Apr 29, 2015
north west Melb.
AFL Club
Carlton
Eddie and his media mates are still salty that no Collingwood players were in the AFL team of the century and that Carlton had 6 ;)

We’ve been paying for it ever since we’ve had no shots in the locker from 2002.
Funny.... My Collingwood mate calls Eddie "SALTY" cause he is in everything :p

That was a bright light to my morning however reading that those mongrels didn't have a player in Team of Century...HA HA :thumbsu:

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
PeterDean#35 my favourite player of all time... had a few before him Doull Hunter Bosustow Johnston Harmes Ashman English Motley and Meldrum that were all favourites up until around 87..
From then on i just took a liking for Deano, for me i just knew when i laid my eyes on him he was going to a favorite he was just a player that possesses everything that you could ever love in a player with just the way he played, fearless and tough, his courage in all forms of the game whether he was flying in or back to mark or kill/spoil the contest,the one percenters in spoiling, smothering, shepherds and fulling putting his body on the line for his teammates... He was a the ultimate team oriented player...
Loved running down for the odd team goal...
So although he may not be considered up with our greatest Carlton champions that has played for us for me he is the most courageous and respected player that I’ve seen...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
PeterDean#35 my favourite player of all time... had a few before him Doull Hunter Bosustow Johnston Harmes Ashman English Motley and Meldrum that were all favourites up until around 87..
From then on i just took a liking for Deano, for me i just knew when you lay laid e eyes on him was going to a favorite he was a player that they possess everything that you could ever love in a player with just the way he played, fearless and tough, his courage in all forms of the game whether he was flying in or back to mark or kill/spoil the contest,the one percenters in spoiling, smothering, shepherds and fulling putting his body on the line for his teammates... He was a the ultimate team oriented player...
Loved running down for the odd team goal...
So although he may not be considered up with our greatest Carlton champions that has played for us for me he is the most courageous and respected player that I’ve seen...
Should all those players that were sill playing at time feel jilted from you jumping ship to a new favourite so easily ?

I did more than once.

There are many players who I feel blessed to have not only seen play live, but seen them at their very best. Doull I did see play, but this was in the latter part of his career. What a player he must have been at his best.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
There are many players who I feel blessed to have not only seen play live, but seen them at their very best. Doull I did see play, but this was in the latter part of his career. What a player he must have been at his best.
When he first started playing they tried him on a wing as we already had a champion CHB in John Goold who wore no. 11. He was wearing no. 4 until Gooldy retired and they gave his jumper and position to Bruce, the rest is history.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Ashman and McKay are both top notch. I found when doing my Top 16 originally that between about 12 and 20 odd was pretty close. Both would be in that range for me.

McKay was an elite defender. He could defend and attack. Was packed with power and no half forward would have slept well knowing they had to try and beat Andy McKay the next day. He stood up to the best company, almost always playing well in State company besides with Carlton. A great player.

Ashman just gets this vote for me. He was a brilliant onballer and brilliant resting forward. He had long arms which meant he could mark abnormally well overhead for his size and also allowed him to be freakish with the ground ball. A goal a game onballer is something you wish for. A goal and a half a game onballer is something to die for. Ashman was that, and a great player.

Ashy just.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Loved Andrew McKay, tough straight ahead half back. Premiership player and Captain when we needed him.

Rod Ashman was a true rover, fearless skilled and loved a goal. I think he was robbed of a Brownlow because there were so many great players at Carlton at the time.

Ashman for me.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
We not had a rover as good as Rod Ashman since he retired. Did not see his early years but saw his prime years. Marc Murphy sometimes gives impression he could goto that level also but so far not reached it but that goal kicking ability is the thing missing. Ashman was capable of 4 or 5 goals on his best days of roving. In a weaker side Ashman would have won a Brownlow or two but in our star studded team in his prime. votes spread too far and wide for one guy to get enough votes.

Andrew McKay excellent half back flanker but Ashy class just too much to vote any other way having seen both.

I loved watching the vet at work. We were always safe when he was in the vicinity.

Ashman was a true rover who could read the ball brilliantly and ultra reliable goalkicker.

I've gone back and forth on this as befitting their seedings, but I have to pick Ashman.

Back