Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Doull and SOS were ranked #3 and #5 in the official Carlton rankings a few years ago, so we're not far off that. And it's even closer when you account for the fact that Nicholls and Jezza were handicapped by a limited number of BFers seeing those earlier eras.

A great showdown, two of the greatest defenders of all time.

I had them 3 and 4 in my original post in this thread before voting match ups began.

For what I have seen Jesaulenko is best seen of eras I seen on tv and games attended.

Next best is Wayne Johnston
Next best Bruce Doull
Next best Stephen Silvagni

Gets harder after this,,, Hunter, Greg Williams, Ashman, Judd, Kernahan and Bradley all got good claims for next...
As a result, I vote Doull in this match up.

OK, time for our final.

1 vs 3 to decide who is our GOAT.

Bruce Doull was our number 1 seed here, and has lived up to that expectation. He has faced some formidable opponents thus far in the competition - Maclure, Ashman, Jesaulenko, Judd. These are no easy beats, yet Doull has brushed them aside mostly with ease. Jezza took 18 votes off him, but the others just a combined 6 votes.

Stephen Silvagni meanwhile is our 3rd seed. He finds himself here having defeated Fitzpatrick, Harmes, Johnston and then Williams in the semi final. The first two barely took a vote off him, Johnston pushed him and then SOS caused the upset by defeating Williams, seeded #2 in the penultimate vote.

So after a long haul we're finally down to 2:

Bruce Doull vs Stephen Silvagni

Who gets your vote and why?

It took us a while to get there, but we have finally found our GOAT.

doull.jpg

I invited Bruce to say a few words, but he has declined to do so.

Thank you everyone for voting and participating; this has been a great thread to be a part of and it has been brilliant to read so many of your recollections of our past greats.

So now that we've decided our GOAT, who wants to vote for our WOAT.......?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct result.

His game translates to ANY era. In today’s game he would kill.

Well done Dormat, what an honour to selected the GOAT by BigFooty.

My favourite player of all time. Doull was ahead of his time, and the only player I've seen who would spoil and it would go directly to a team mate.

Extraordinary talent.

Back