Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've said right from the beginning back when everyone was nominating Judd to be captain (in 2008), that Simpson was the better choice:

I actually think Judd was a fairly poor captain. Yeah he was captain in a premiership side but that side lead itself. He wasn't the sort of captain we needed at the time, we were desperate for a cultural shift and some strong leadership and discipline.

TBH his leadership was questionable. We played like a team at that was not strongly lead at the time. Soft, lazy conditional, front running, undisciplined were all words that described us and yes the commitment and effort was questionable and that all comes from lack of leadership pushing standards. It was a big part of Carlton's player development issues IMO. Leaders didn't drive high standards then and they way it looks nothing has changed. Strongly lead clubs surely don't get into so much off field trouble as well. Under Judd we were a mess off the field.

Then there were little things. Fevola was wasted on Brownlow night, Judd was there, should have put him in a taxi and sent him home but seemed to just ignore the issue until it became an issue. A good captain would have jumped on that and the way Fev took the piss out of Judd that night IMO showed how seriously he and probably the players probably took him. It was like didn't command respect. I think Judd tried to lead by example but wasn't out spoken or authoritarian enough to reign blokes in and command respect. Then there was the latest leadership feat from Judd as our football director, didn't seem to do much and walked out half way through the job. IMO he was a star player and a strong academic but lacks elite leadership qualities. Perhaps not good enough with confrontation.

Then there are the sacked coaches. A lot of that comes from players not buying in. If players don't buy in it doesn't mean the coach is in the wrong. A lot of the time it is because the leadership group doesn't back the coach and support them and reiterate their message. If the coach is pushing a message hard and the leadership group are pushing the same message hard the players have no choice but to buy in and have a crack.

Curnow, Simpson, Silvagni. These are the ones who should have been put forward as Captain without doubt.

Not sure Cripps has been very good so far either, a bit of a Judd style captain perhaps. I'm not seeing that effort and commitment is being driven from he and his leadership group. I could be wrong but I am not seeing strong leadership reflected in the way we play.

Carlton should hire Nick Maxwell to come in and talk with our leaders and playing group. He was an elite Captain and has made a career as a leadership consultant. IMO Voss and Diesel will be really good with this but this is an area we need to focus on because we haven't had a really good captain since Sticks.
Leadership and culture are things which need to be a focus.

I actually think Judd was a fairly poor captain. Yeah he was captain in a premiership side but that side lead itself. He wasn't the sort of captain we needed at the time, we were desperate for a cultural shift and some strong leadership and discipline.

TBH his leadership was questionable. We played like a team at that was not strongly lead at the time. Soft, lazy conditional, front running, undisciplined were all words that described us and yes the commitment and effort was questionable and that all comes from lack of leadership pushing standards. It was a big part of Carlton's player development issues IMO. Leaders didn't drive high standards then and they way it looks nothing has changed. Strongly lead clubs surely don't get into so much off field trouble as well. Under Judd we were a mess off the field.

Then there were little things. Fevola was wasted on Brownlow night, Judd was there, should have put him in a taxi and sent him home but seemed to just ignore the issue until it became an issue. A good captain would have jumped on that and the way Fev took the piss out of Judd that night IMO showed how seriously he and probably the players probably took him. It was like didn't command respect. I think Judd tried to lead by example but wasn't out spoken or authoritarian enough to reign blokes in and command respect. Then there was the latest leadership feat from Judd as our football director, didn't seem to do much and walked out half way through the job. IMO he was a star player and a strong academic but lacks elite leadership qualities. Perhaps not good enough with confrontation.

Then there are the sacked coaches. A lot of that comes from players not buying in. If players don't buy in it doesn't mean the coach is in the wrong. A lot of the time it is because the leadership group doesn't back the coach and support them and reiterate their message. If the coach is pushing a message hard and the leadership group are pushing the same message hard the players have no choice but to buy in and have a crack.

Curnow, Simpson, Silvagni. These are the ones who should have been put forward as Captain without doubt.

Not sure Cripps has been very good so far either, a bit of a Judd style captain perhaps. I'm not seeing that effort and commitment is being driven from he and his leadership group. I could be wrong but I am not seeing strong leadership reflected in the way we play.

Carlton should hire Nick Maxwell to come in and talk with our leaders and playing group. He was an elite Captain and has made a career as a leadership consultant. IMO Voss and Diesel will be really good with this but this is an area we need to focus on because we haven't had a really good captain since Sticks.
Leadership and culture are things which need to be a focus.
I have long felt Judd was the wrong captain.

In fact I am sceptical that your best player should be your captain.

I think it's often a distraction for those who aren't natural leaders

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have long felt Judd was the wrong captain.

In fact I am sceptical that your best player should be your captain.

I think it's often a distraction for those who aren't natural leaders

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think to be captain you just have to play the way the team/coach wants. Play hard unconditional footy, train and prepare exceptionally well. You don't need to be a star player. You do need to be confronting and able to deal with confrontations and you do need to be able to call blokes out and willing to break a few eggs but you also need to be fair and willing to pump blokes up and give credit where credit is due. You need to be vocal. That bloke who will rip into the team or a player at training or during a game for not doing team things or lack of effort and that bloke who pumps you up after a good effort. This is what Carlton needed back then and IMO Judd wasn't that player.

Makes me wonder about Cripps. We keep picking blokes who are gun players but too nice and too clean cut and not confrontational if that makes any sense. That's how it appears to me.

Again with Judd in terms of leadership and captaincy, he's done nothing apart from being the captain of the Eagles premiership and TBH it would not have mattered who was captain of that team.

I believe a number of people including Judd tried to get Fev out of there. Fev is a man child, he had no discipline, if he did he would be in the top 10 not #33 on the leading goal kickers list. The only way they would have got him out of there would have been to make a scene which could have got ugly. Channel 9 shouldn't have allowed him on air as he was intoxicated, pretty sure that would breach broadcasting contracts, but they knew what they were doing.

Judd may have not been a great captain in some ways but he did set a standard for the rest to follow, one man can not change a rotten culture, there has to be a buy in and the club is the figure head. If we had a strong culture, Fev would have been traded for Judd, not Kennedy. Fev got disciplined with a wet lettuce leaf for years and it finally blew up that night.

He did his leadership by example on field, but it was not what we needed at the time.

I believe a number of people including Judd tried to get Fev out of there. Fev is a man child, he had no discipline, if he did he would be in the top 10 not #33 on the leading goal kickers list. The only way they would have got him out of there would have been to make a scene which could have got ugly. Channel 9 shouldn't have allowed him on air as he was intoxicated, pretty sure that would breach broadcasting contracts, but they knew what they were doing.

Judd may have not been a great captain in some ways but he did set a standard for the rest to follow, one man can not change a rotten culture, there has to be a buy in and the club is the figure head. If we had a strong culture, Fev would have been traded for Judd, not Kennedy. Fev got disciplined with a wet lettuce leaf for years and it finally blew up that night.

He did his leadership by example on field, but it was not what we needed at the time.

I think Parkin said something along the lines of this in regards to Fev. Something about being too lenient at the start. Club started to slip in regards to culture and leadership I think around the end of Parko's time there.

I think this sort of thing going bad happens easily. It's hard to come back from but very doable. I think all the talk about standards and getting that right at the moment leads back to getting leadership right at the club. If you want to get our standards higher then that comes back on those who push those standards and that's the coaching and leadership group.

I think it's important that leaders are taught to lead and that they have people they can go to for advice and that may be something which has been neglected at Carlton for some time.

I think Parkin said something along the lines of this in regards to Fev. Something about being too lenient at the start. Club started to slip in regards to culture and leadership I think around the end of Parko's time there.

I think this sort of thing going bad happens easily. It's hard to come back from but very doable. I think all the talk about standards and getting that right at the moment leads back to getting leadership right at the club. If you want to get our standards higher then that comes back on those who push those standards and that's the coaching and leadership group.

I think it's important that leaders are taught to lead and that they have people they can go to for advice and that may be something which has been neglected at Carlton for some time.

Totally agree, in Parkins time, he was well respected but the players bought in, partied hard but played hard and held each other accountable. If players didn't perform, they were dropped and would earn their way back into the side.

In the past 20 years we have had a number of players who ran their own race, should have been dropped but knew they wouldn't because of who they were, this sets a poor example to new players coming in. Even last year, Cripps should have been dropped or told to rest when he couldn't perform at his best. This is a fairly young side, so hopefully Voss will play the guys on form and not because of who they are. I feel this side has a lot of upside, this is our time now, if we don't make a stand now, we may as well hand back the keys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another 'Top Class' post by Damo...

IF ...
you sack some people...

THEN ...
you have to replace them. And that doesn't mean - as per the fanciful claims of new president Luke Sayers' - that the Blues are a destination club.

How about;

IF ...
you are a journalist with an ounce of integrity...

THEN ...
you have to put childish vendettas and personal bias aside, and admit - that the Blues are a destination club.

Another 'Top Class' post by Damo...

How about;

IF ...
you are a journalist with an ounce of integrity...

THEN ...
you have to put childish vendettas and personal bias aside, and admit - that the Blues are a destination club.

Damo is so the past bullied boy now enjoying some status and passing on the bullying in his own twerp way.

IF
A journalist/scribe/commentator etc has a view on Carlton that I don't agree with, or think is incorrect, or is plain headline chasing...

THEN
I keep driving/reading, think about if I'm going to cook pork or veal schnittys next time and never give what was said/written another second's thought...

Agree with the above but I'm going to use this space to vent what a peanut he is.

Not many non-carlton people are going to disagree that we have a new aura around us.

Solid list, a driven president and a new coach that reeks of pride in the jumper already.

Damo is afraid of what's emerging and getting as many cheap shots in while he can.

I reckon Damo is right that the destination club stuff is a bit cringy. But he’s ignoring where Sayers is at. When you’ve been on the Board for a long while during a period of underperformance, and when you’ve potentially got challengers, then you’ve got to blow your own trumpet.

Do people actually take the sliding doors s*** seriously?

Damo himself has admitted he just punches some crap out late the night before.

it’s not a well thought out piece, or even meant to be anything more than a handful of (debatably) thought provoking statements.

It’s also probably the best content that has him name on it, as the format means he can’t use 57 extra words when trying to say a simple sentence. Makes Derm sound like Doull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back