Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE CARLTON Football Club has tonight announced the Hon Josh Frydenberg MP as its joint No.1 ticket holder. (By Carlton Media on Mar 25, 2021, 8:52pm)
time for a new #1 ticket holder, suggestions? ;)

I know we're the navy blues but I'd love if we could make the clash strip an indigenous themed one next season.
That seems a great idea to me. I don't know enough about the background to this year's jumper, but I can imagine a sort of theme wherethe majority of the Navy Blue is white. This year's jersey is just awesome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I present to you Carlton's new NO:1 Ticketholder ...

6102ed9d28b06094c9886ddb34b3f1ed

c9c00068968c439c7448255807169af4

On O'Brien:

"His delivery by foot into the forward 50 has been a strength, with the Blues scoring a goal from 30.8 per cent of his kicks into attacking 50, ranked third of the top 100 kicks into this area across the competition, according to Champion Data."

Maybe we can cut him some slack for not being perfect at the hard stuff?

He IS improving in this area but there is still work to do.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

He doesn’t need to be hard as *, yeah we all love those types, but seriously we need him to be mentally tough and push his body to the limit running up and down the ground to provide an outlet from defence and the best kick in the team going into forward 50.

Langdon is his template, he’s not a shrinking violet but he’s no hard nut. Leave that to Cottrell on the other wing

Pisses me off the amount of vitriol he gets on here, it’s unwarranted garbage

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He doesn’t need to be hard as duck, yeah we all love those types, but seriously we need him to be mentally tough and push his body to the limit running up and down the ground to provide an outlet from defence and the best kick in the team going into forward 50.

Langdon is his template, he’s not a shrinking violet but he’s no hard nut. Leave that to Cottrell on the other wing

Pisses me off the amount of vitriol he gets on here, it’s unwarranted garbage

He's a wonderful kick isn't he?

suspect we will see him promoted up to the senior list, following on from kennedy and another player in the margins dropped down to the rookie list. Setterfield or one of the perpetually injured cuningham or marchbank perhaps? Cotts needs a promotion too.

won't be dow with a year remaining on his contract but the roundabout may continue the year after if he wants to stay and fight

i don't mind the idea but it does open the perpetual free agency rule should the relationships between club and player breakdown on contract negotiation

Just about every player always has something to work. Just that if you’re not a “hard player” then some football followers will be quick to dig the boots in and conveniently forget the positives - if you ain’t Alpha then you can’t play footy

Think every AFL player that crosses that white line is hard, some are just harder than others. And with players like LoB, their team value is on the outside. They can be just as important to the team as a stoppage “in close” player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is it, a good system will allow players with different attributes to thrive if they want to.

Wingers obviously given the running required are not built powerfully with their ability to get to either end of the ground and transition the ball effectively by foot being their one wood.

If they can then do the little things like blocks/assisting defenders and at least halve a contest then they are doing their job just fine.

I was as critical as anyone on O'Brien but he's started to win me over. I said his elite kicking was a myth as it wasn't consistent. One week he was on, the next he'd shank 3. Seems he's comfortable now kicking at AFL level and he's right there with other elite kicks.

The other part that has impressed me is his composure - and this probably goes into his kicking as well - he looks far more calm and settled when on the ball or in a contest. Even earlier this year he would fall over in a stiff breeze and fumble at he feintest tickle of pressure. But now he's at least staying in the contest and taking the ball when he should.

As for those saying his toughness is weak, there's multiple kinds of toughness. While we admire the likes of Cripps would being brave and hard in the contest, it's also tough to have run 14km up and down a wing all game and stand up in the 4th qtr when under all kinds of pressure to hold on to a win. Not everyone is Stocker slamming into bodies, some guys are tough by showing steel when the game is at its hottest - and for the first time in my eyes he did it on the weekend.

It takes a brave man to go on a 70m sprint to mark the ball in the defensive 50 in the 4th qtr with 5 mins to go holding a slight lead.

The same could be said of TDK, standing up down the line on 4 occasions to ice the game is mentally stout.

He's a wonderful kick isn't he?

Absolutely elite, one step and bang. Reckon he’d win the handball comp on the Sunday footy show kicking with his left.

Best kick of the pill I’ve ever seen at the club, get it in his hands as much as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back