Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought they would've wanted something of that nature kept in house. Look at the damage it's doing now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What damage? People are talking about it. What else?

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What damage? People are talking about it. What else?
It's part of what I don't get. I don't understand why this has reinflamed people, set the embers to smouldering once more. This is nothing more than was already suspected, and if anything is timed to reduce its effect on us.

If SOS had to do what he's done here, he couldn't have picked a better time to have it forgotten about in under a week. And it isn't anything new.

Do people want honesty, or do they want the perpetual lines by rote they get everywhere else?

It's part of what I don't get. I don't understand why this has reinflamed people, set the embers to smouldering once more. This is nothing more than was already suspected, and if anything is timed to reduce its effect on us.

If SOS had to do what he's done here, he couldn't have picked a better time to have it forgotten about in under a week. And it isn't anything new.

Do people want honesty, or do they want the perpetual lines by rote they get everywhere else?

If he waited years, people will ask why he didn't say it back then. If he said in a book, people will say it is just made up to promote the book.

There is no right time for these things but I understand he wanted his truth out there, so this is as good a time as any, given a year has passed and the club is on the up.

Meanwhile, Caroline Wilson can not get over her dislike of Silvagni. Venemous to the extreme.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
The "interview" has inflamed some peeps but it will be forgotten soon enough.

Just look at Hird. Involved in the biggest scandal that Essendon and the AFL has ever seen. Few years later they are wanting to welcome him back with open arms :oops:

Maybe SOS is welcomed back at some stage and everything is in the past.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
If he waited years, people will ask why he didn't say it back then. If he said in a book, people will say it is just made up to promote the book.

There is no right time for these things but I understand he wanted his truth out there, so this is as good a time as any, given a year has passed and the club is on the up.

Meanwhile, Caroline Wilson can not get over her dislike of Silvagni. Venemous to the extreme.
Agree with the post, but I hate that phrase.

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
Just listened to the SOS interview. I don't see what the fuss is about. I'm glad I heard it rather than heard nothing of it. The only thing that concerns me is having some measure of confirmation that Liddle was interfering where he shouldn't have been. That's a BIG concern for me, as he wasn't hired as a recruiter and the players associated with him (Betts and Ellis) don't scream "you're right and SOS is wrong" to me.

Hope he's been told to pull his head in and let the list guys do their job.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton

IDE buy his book

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Wriggle room for the doubters. How about the truth as he sees it.
If I'm honest, I don't really like that, either. It's either the truth, or it's a narrative, a story. A story can be true, but not all stories are true.

I can do a little digging online, and I can find people who fully and sincerely believe that the earth is flat, that it's 'their truth'. Hell, I don't even need do any digging; there's a board for this stuff on this website. Ditto, alien abduction. It might be 'their truth', 'the truth as they see it', but it isn't true.

Probably a bit heavy for the Carlton in the Media thread, anyway.

This interview reminded me of when The Footy Show handed Fev a mic at the Brownlow, and let him hang himself for their their own ratings.

Gary and Tim played on his emotions there, and were scrambling to give him more rope to hang himself as well as the club.

Not SOSs finest hour there.I hope the club acknowledge it only to say they won't be making comment.
These people painting Steve Silvagni as an easily fooled, media naive buffoon. Do I have to lay out his resume? Really?

If I'm honest, I don't really like that, either. It's either the truth, or it's a narrative, a story. A story can be true, but not all stories are true.

I can do a little digging online, and I can find people who fully and sincerely believe that the earth is flat, that it's 'their truth'. Hell, I don't even need do any digging; there's a board for this stuff on this website. Ditto, alien abduction. It might be 'their truth', 'the truth as they see it', but it isn't true.

Probably a bit heavy for the Carlton in the Media thread, anyway.

That's different though and even if the term is corny, most understand what is being suggested -

Two people may go through the one event and have a different perspective on matters.
Silvagni may well 'believe' that his version of events is definitive and Liddle may think that his is........and if we're going to stretch the term truth out to the endth degree and if we are living in a simulated universe, then nothing we experience is really true. What then? :)

'Their truth' is just another way of saying 'their perspective', or their version of events. No harm done.

Kramer1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Plenty of people can write out a resume but talking on your feet is an entirely different matter.
Indeed. And SOS is not renowned for sinking ships.

Johnny_Tightlips_Tapped_Out.png

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I read the SOS interview yesterday and I wasn't happy. I tend to side with SOS as he has made some great decisions for the club to get it where it is now. I did laugh about the Gov observation and hopefully Gov is working on his fitness and not indulging too much over the offseason. I'm sure he wouldn't of sabotaged any trade but maybe pull them in line a bit with monies being offered.

Feel sorry for his son though being delisted. I would hate to see that we don't end up with any Silvangis playing for the Blues.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
That's different though and even if the term is corny, most understand what is being suggested -

Two people may go through the one event and have a different perspective on matters.
Silvagni may well 'believe' that his version of events is definitive and Liddle may think that his is........and if we're going to stretch the term truth out to the endth degree and if we are living in a simulated universe, then nothing we experience is really true. What then? :)

'Their truth' is just another way of saying 'their perspective', or their version of events. No harm done.
I had been hoping that post was the end of it. I clutter up enough threads with my particular breed of nonsense anyway.

But no, there's plenty of harm done. See, people have been saying 'the truth from their perspective' for a while. Then, 'their truth'. Now, 'their facts' and 'alternative facts'. It's a living example of a) language evolution, and b) a slippery slope in real time. And it burns at me, each and every time I see it.

I know how subjective history is. I've studied it, have a qualification in it. I know how difficult/arcane it can be to actually get to the truth through a combination of fact and eyewitness account. I've read excerpts from diaries, statements. The truth takes effort to find, and even then to reach a standard you can be happy with, it isn't really 'the truth', either. It's my interpretation of the various stories I've compiled.

A claim to having the truth is - in my opinion - an arrogant one, even if it's made every day.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
These people painting Steve Silvagni as an easily fooled, media naive buffoon. Do I have to lay out his resume? Really?

True dat.

The only mystery here is how many parallel plans he has running at the moment.

It was a hatchet job on Liddle but to what end? To damage Liddle ? Probably but what else.

Its almost like he establishing reasons for what he (and possibly his family members) do next.

True dat.

The only mystery here is how many parallel plans he has running at the moment.

It was a hatchet job on Liddle but to what end? To damage Liddle ? Probably but what else.

Its almost like he establishing reasons for what he (and possibly his family members) do next.
er, not exactly my point but please, go on...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back