Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but people will be people and one doesn't need a degree in psychology to know that people will almost always express a situation from the point of view where the outcome favours themselves and claim their story as 'the truth'; It's always the other guy that's got it wrong, or is in the wrong.

Don't get too wound up about silly terms people use, as otherwise we'll paralyse ourselves and distance ourselves from 99.9% of the population. :)

Of course - and the elephant in the room question that no one will ask or answer will always be - "SOS - are you prepared to de-list Jack or Ben ?".

What father would want to be in that situation and maybe the club saw or forecast a lack of development in the Silvagni boys and concluded this was closer than we thought.

The other elephant in the room question was - "why the f$%k did you draft Finbar ?" :)

Of course - and the elephant in the room question that no one will ask or answer will always be - "SOS - are you prepared to de-list Jack or Ben ?".
What father would want to be in that situation and maybe the club saw or forecast a lack of development in the Silvagni boys and concluded this was closer than we thought.
The other elephant in the room question was - "why the f$%k did you draft Finbar ?" :)

Yes. It's easy to say, to just pass that decision onto next-in-charge, but then that makes for an equally awkward situation.
No easy way through it, whether by de-listing nor re-signing to a new contract.

I wouldn't be surprise if the recruitment of O'Dwyer was one of the first things that showed up against SOS.
It would have been one thing to pick him up as a rookie, but there was nothing there upon my viewing to remotely suggest he'd ever become a footballer.
I's not his fault of course, but I hadn't seen someone so far out of their depth at the CFC, as was the case for Finbar

Yes. It's easy to say, to just pass that decision onto next-in-charge, but then that makes for an equally awkward situation.
No easy way through it, whether by de-listing nor re-signing to a new contract.

I wouldn't be surprise if the recruitment of O'Dwyer was one of the first things that showed up against SOS.
It would have been one thing to pick him up as a rookie, but there was nothing there upon my viewing to remotely suggest he'd ever become a footballer.
I's not his fault of course, but I hadn't seen someone so far out of their depth at the CFC, as was the case for Finbar
Did he ever play a decent game at VFL level? Probably one of the strangest picks we've ever made. Even his highlight reel was terrible.

Did he ever play a decent game at VFL level? Probably one of the strangest picks we've ever made. Even his highlight reel was terrible.

When in space he did the odd good thing, but in general, he was mostly invisible upon my viewing.
He just didn't even present as a footballer, in the way Temay, Kerr, Clem Smith, or even Foster did. There was nothing there.

It was a challenge for Serge, who was on the match committee back when SOS started. They managed. I'm sure he would have had a quiet word in SOS' ear about this kind of thing. From what I've heard, Serge wasn't one to shy away from hard chats.

OTOH, you could say that about anyone from that pick on.

View attachment 992482

We know that all players won't make it, as that's impossible, but you do want to see something from the players you bring into the club.

Said this before, but it was evident from day one last year, that Philp, Ramsay, Honey and Phillips had some quality football traits.
The year prior, it was just as clear that Gibbons and Cottrell had something going for them ......and they were picked up after BSilvagni & O'Dwyer.

Players are always going to fail (if one wants to call it that) but some had no hope right from the start, which then begs that question.......Why?

Finbar was probably picked for his kicking. It's his one skill that stood out.

Unfortunately you need to get the ball before you can kick it. I wonder how much is above the shoulders with him and Ben? If you don't believe you belong out there, it's pretty hard to perform.

Sos should not aired his grievances public - and he had more to stay - thankfully he stopped.

I rate SOS and he has done a ripping job to get us in the current position. My only knocks on him would be that he did not rate Cripps or Doch in their draft years (couldn't believe we didn't get Cam McCarthy), had high hopes for Pickett, and apart from Gibbons, did not unearth any money ball mature age recruits i.e. Hannan, Miochek, Luke Ryan, Flying Ryan, Atkins, Pickett, Lambert, Hind etc. instead we wasted spots on blokes who were proven avg footballers i.e. Palmer, Gorringe, Philips, Garlett, Shaw, Mullet, Goddard etc.

I am loving what Austin is doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His perspective?
His point of view?
Both of which are better, because they're not making claims for what's true.
I agree, but people will be people and one doesn't need a degree in psychology to know that people will almost always express a situation from the point of view where the outcome favours themselves and claim their story as 'the truth'; It's always the other guy that's got it wrong, or is in the wrong.

Don't get too wound up about silly terms people use, as otherwise we'll paralyse ourselves and distance ourselves from 99.9% of the population. :)
We have posters on here who correct incorrect uses of your and you're, and there, their and they're. Why not have someone who is just as pedantic in a different direction?

Things are what they are, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

We have posters on here who correct incorrect uses of your and you're, and there, their and they're. Why not have someone who is just as pedantic in a different direction?
Things are what they are, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

You can do that, as you have. I simply pointed out what people really meant when saying it.....but you'd know that.
I think you didn't like the term 'destination club' either and I agree with you that it's a s**t term, but people know what is being suggested.

How do you go with my pet dislikes:
1. That puts things into perspective.
2. Family is more important than football. (As if this even needs to be said)
3. There are more important things in life than football (As if this ever needs to be highlighted) ...... just for starters :)

I’m not sure he clearly thought thru what he said...did he consider his son...will it make Jack feel uncomfortable in his working environment.
As a parent I think it was a selfish act.

I totally agree... and he knew exactly what,he was doing which sadly, was all about SOS.

Just didn't realise we had so many armchair psychologists. I feel blessed to be in such esteemed company.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back