Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either that short goal-kicking mid who played for Freo or the Aussie guy that played James Bond.... ;)
that's the type of idiotic remark I'd make...........consequently...........POTY!!.............

Kennedy nicked his calf a week or 2 ago - has dropped a few more kgs again this preseason to aid running & stamina. Said wingers were wanting to play midfield & he’s been playing wing. Should play a half in reserves style game this week. Source - horses mouth.
What's with playing big bodied mids as wingers? First Setters, then Ed and now Kennedy.

We have Willo, Walsh, Newnes, Murph, Cunners, Martin, Fog etc. Rotate them through the wings and let's use our inside mids properly.

What's with playing big bodied mids as wingers? First Setters, then Ed and now Kennedy.

We have Willo, Walsh, Newnes, Murph, Cunners, Martin, Fog etc. Rotate them through the wings and let's use our inside mids properly.

Wonder if there's a school of thought that the new manning the mark rule will generate a lot more corridor play, and we're tinkering with having better runners through that area with taller marking options on the wing as a bail-out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setters killed it there last week......big bodied wingers are great IMO.

One of the roles of a wingman is to drop back into defence. If your wingman is a little taller and good in the air then they are going to be useful dropping in the hole.

Gone are the days where you could put a quick hard running more non-contact type on a wing. You need someone who can have a physical presence when there are two players going for a lose ball or a good tackle needs to be made so wingmen with strength and hardness are a must. It's no longer a purely outside position it's an outside position with inside moments.

I would still like to see our wingmen have pace, endurance, good disposal as well as ball winning abilities and hardness. This is why Walsh was so good on the wing last year and was extremely underrated there. He's the only one on our list who has all these qualities. Maybe Martin does but we haven't tried him there, I hope we do as I believe he could be extremely good on a wing.

Our other wing options just seem to have part qualities which is ok but the better the players here the better it is for the team.

O'Brien - Elite runner, great kick, has been too outside and lacked the physicality and not strong in the air and dropping back, but he could mature.
Newnes - Good runner but hasn't got break away pace, hard at the contest but lacks polish with his disposal.
Curnow - Lacks that polish with disposal and break away pace but tough and an elite runner.
Setterfield - Seems to lack that break away pace and isn't elite below the knees but he's a quality footballer and has height. His disposal as an outside finisher is just average.
Walsh - Possess all the qualities, if there is any knocks then perhaps he's not an elite kick.
Murphy - Good runner, no value dropping back in defence and lacks physicality.
Martin - Untried, looks perfect, come on coaches...
Kennedy - Can't see it, too slow but a smart player and would be good dropped back in defence.
Philp - Still too raw but potential.
Honey - Still too raw but potential is there as well.
Durdin - Maybe, very young.
Carroll - Maybe, very young.
Williamson - Maybe, too valuable in defence IMO he has found his spot.
Marchbank - Always injured, disposal average, maybe if fit?
Fogarty - Maybe.

Lots of options but hard to say who will be really good there. A lot of blokes have somethings really going for them but have some real weaknesses as wingmen as well. Be interesting watching the seconds and seeing who's going well there.

I don't think you need to be too big in the middle as long as you have some body strength and plenty of aggression and that strong attack on the contest.
Cripps is there to play as a centreman and a contested midfielder who will rest in the forward line at times. I know we only played Essendon but we beat them well and truly in the contests and Williams and Dow were good in those areas because they attacked the contest and were aggressive and have some strength in their bodies. Even stocker for his few moments was aggressive at the contest.

I think ideally with Cripps being so tall we want those smaller quick aggressive midfielders in there to compliment his game and add some agility and speed to the group.

I think Setterfield and Curnow will end up playing more in the middle but we have a weakness if they are in there with Cripps and that is the lack of speed and top level agility in that group. It's tough because they are all centermen however when you put them together we lack speed and agility and probably aren't the greatest kicking group.

Martin going in there, Williams in there. There's the speed, agility and kicking skills. Dow gave us speed, agility and surprisingly kicking skills when in there. Stocker will hopefully bring this to that group. Walsh brings that. They are strong enough and hopefully come with the aggression to take it up to any midfield in the league and if form and fitness permit we will have a nicely balanced midfield.

Last edited:
Anyone else going to the Simmo Farewell dinner tonight. Unfortunately Cripps and Murphy are unable to attend, but the good news is organizers have upgraded my ticket to include having a group photo with all the legends attending . Oh my God, standing next to Big Nick, Simmo, Sticks and Juddy, taking my ugly mug with those chaps.

CharmingDeterminedHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

This is going to be a night to remember, bigger than the Catalina Wine Mixer !!!

AlertOptimalGonolek-size_restricted.gif

I don't think you need to be too big in the middle as long as you have some body strength and plenty of aggression and that strong attack on the contest.
Cripps is there to play as a centreman and a contested midfielder who will rest in the forward line at times. I know we only played Essendon but we beat them well and truly in the contests and Williams and Dow were good in those areas because they attacked the contest and were aggressive and have some strength in their bodies. Even stocker for his few moments was aggressive at the contest.

I think ideally with Cripps being so tall we want those smaller quick aggressive midfielders in there to compliment his game and add some agility and speed to the group.

I think Setterfield and Curnow will end up playing more in the middle but we have a weakness if they are in there with Cripps and that is the lack of speed and top level agility in that group. It's tough because they are all centermen however when you put them together we lack speed and agility and probably aren't the greatest kicking group.

Martin going in there, Williams in there. There's the speed, agility and kicking skills. Dow gave us speed, agility and surprisingly kicking skills when in there. Stocker will hopefully bring this to that group. Walsh brings that. They are strong enough and hopefully come with the aggression to take it up to any midfield in the league and if form and fitness permit we will have a nicely balanced midfield.

Nice, intelligent, balanced and well argued..

I would say you should apply for a job as a footy journalist for the Herald Sun, but you are too intelligent for those clowns.

Honestly, that post is better than any of the drivel I have ever read from Ralphy or Slobbo. Top stuff Bats

Nice, intelligent, balanced and well argued..

I would say you should apply for a job as a footy journalist for the Herald Sun, but you are too intelligent for those clowns.

Honestly, that post is better than any of the drivel I have ever read from Ralphy or Slobbo. Top stuff Bats

FFS now you have gone and done it ... 27 page post incoming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back