Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pentatonic Flat Fifth

All Australian
Apr 18, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn’t really know where to put this and not Carlton related but here it is.
My little man, who’s on the spectrum is back playing footy after a few years. He gave it away when he was 8 years old struggling with associated social skills but never stopped kicking the footy with me.
Today was his third match back and he’s been given a nickname “the Rabbit”.
Tackling and pressure as a forward with his teammates loving his contribution.
We as parents know how hard it’s been for him to make friends and the time and money spent with OT’s and other therapists is paying off.
Footy is now again part of the next step in building this 11 year old’s confidence socially.
His mum corrupted my daughter into following * but he made his own mind up that as a Gold Coast boy the Suns were his team.
Even though Carlton is in my veins, I’m so stoked he has made his own choices as to who he supports.
Regardless of his parents hang ups.

PS. Last week was great. The wife wouldn’t talk to me for 4 days because we beat her sh*t stain of a team.

Thats a great story I'm happy for you. My little one is loving it - just hanging with his mates. Its great to see.

On the otherside of the coin my older one is only 11 and has a new coach who is win at all costs and has forced the kids into "fixed positions" for the season and dumped him in the back pocket because he sees him as a running back. Not developing kids should be an AFL crime - its disgusting. They need to learn every aspect of the game. Comes home crying as do half the team.

Just so devastating - having to move clubs, leave mates etc because of one coach.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn’t really know where to put this and not Carlton related but here it is.
My little man, who’s on the spectrum is back playing footy after a few years. He gave it away when he was 8 years old struggling with associated social skills but never stopped kicking the footy with me.
Today was his third match back and he’s been given a nickname “the Rabbit”.
Tackling and pressure as a forward with his teammates loving his contribution.
We as parents know how hard it’s been for him to make friends and the time and money spent with OT’s and other therapists is paying off.
Footy is now again part of the next step in building this 11 year old’s confidence socially.
His mum corrupted my daughter into following * but he made his own mind up that as a Gold Coast boy the Suns were his team.
Even though Carlton is in my veins, I’m so stoked he has made his own choices as to who he supports.
Regardless of his parents hang ups.

PS. Last week was great. The wife wouldn’t talk to me for 4 days because we beat her sh*t stain of a team.
Fantastic story.

How's he going with finding somewhere ti live because he follows the suns:D;)

Thats a great story I'm happy for you. My little one is loving it - just hanging with his mates. Its great to see.

On the otherside of the coin my older one is only 11 and has a new coach who is win at all costs and has forced the kids into "fixed positions" for the season and dumped him in the back pocket because he sees him as a running back. Not developing kids should be an AFL crime - its disgusting. They need to learn every aspect of the game. Comes home crying as do half the team.

Just so devastating - having to move clubs, leave mates etc because of one coach.
Hope you wrote some letters to whovever needs to know this is going on.

mrjones

All Australian
Nov 27, 2009
South East Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

That’s awful P. I hope you’re little man starts enjoying his footy again and makes some more friends at the new club.

'Montagna said the Blues have had a habit of relying on individual performances rather than system to spearhead their defence'
He's veryon the money here. Coaches relying on obscenely talented performances to stay in touch with the opposition. There's periods in every game where our set ups get brutalised and we're kept in the game (just, sometimes) by absolute generational talent.
I think that is more a case of our defensive structures being well setup while our midfield structures are non-existant under pressure... which turns around and puts pressure on our defense. The only guy who regularly stuffs up in our defense is Jones. But when he's on song... he's unbeatable.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I think that is more a case of our defensive structures being well setup while our midfield structures are non-existant under pressure... which turns around and puts pressure on our defense. The only guy who regularly stuffs up in our defense is Jones. But when he's on song... he's unbeatable.
Problem is with our midfield playing the way it does I don't think it's possible for us to win a game unless Jones is in that unbeatable mood. Which is crazy. Imagine having such a system that forces your 2 tall defenders to play perfect footy for you to have a chance at winning... and that's backed up by the stats. Before this game Weitering and Jones had more 1 on 1 contests over the season than the whole Bulldogs team. We hang them out and ask them to be superhuman just to give us a damn chance in the game, which the midfield picks and chooses whether or not it'll take. * me I'd be fuming at that group and the coaches if I were in our back 6...

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Concerning, big bucks need returns...
“Between Saad and Williams they’ve polled one vote in the coaches association in eight rounds. These two players were almost the saviours, as they were gonna be the difference between Carlton being outside the top eight to being in the top eight. Well where are these guys?”

Brackets

Cancelled
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I liked the promise I saw of Williams early but FMD 9 possessions for a guy we threw 5 million at is pathetic.

Bloke is in his prime yet hasn't fired a shot nor kicked a goal with over a third of the season done.

Feeling like we just pissed away our future on a gamble.

J-dog

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
I liked the promise I saw of Williams early but FMD 9 possessions for a guy we threw 5 million at is pathetic.

Bloke is in his prime yet hasn't fired a shot nor kicked a goal with over a third of the season done.

Should have thrown that money at Wines

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
'Montagna said the Blues have had a habit of relying on individual performances rather than system to spearhead their defence'
He's veryon the money here. Coaches relying on obscenely talented performances to stay in touch with the opposition. There's periods in every game where our set ups get brutalised and we're kept in the game (just, sometimes) by absolute generational talent.
There's been only one game I can clearly remember Teague having clearly set someone up structurally to dominate, and that was Jones against GC. He sat Doch off the back of a throw in stoppage about 20m slightly corridor side, and Jones 50-60m downfield; seeing as the ball went long after they won and they won the clearances, Jones dominated.

During the half of year Teague coached in 2019, he showed pretty clearly an ability to tinker when a game was against us. He'd play around with stoppages; he'd manipulate matchups behind the ball; he'd put Ed on a key mover and we'd respond as a team.

It is such a shame that having become head coach he's relaxed into the standard 'We'll back our structures' style of coaching.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
It was very interesting watching, On the couch, the footage they showed of Liam Jones was pretty bad, I have been quite critical of Teague and assistant coaches, but seeing that particular vision, I don’t think that’s a directive by the coaching staff, I know it’s one piece of vision but it seems like a regular occurrence with Jones.

The vision of Doc was disappointing too.

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
that vision of Docherty... I wasn't at the game this week, but that was absolutely what he was doing in the Essendon game too.

Bizarrely in that case, he seemed to be floating out to the flanks, often on the opposite side to the ball. Almost playing as a loose attacking role, when the ball was on its way in defensively - essentially gambling that the team would win short-handed and he could then be free to transition the ball.

Very strange situation: a defender and club captain who is basically not defending, at all.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Hard lesson to learn.

If you are going to spend $5 million on a midfielder... make sure they are a midfielder first

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
It was very interesting watching, On the couch, the footage they showed of Liam Jones was pretty bad, I have been quite critical of Teague and assistant coaches, but seeing that particular vision, I don’t think that’s a directive by the coaching staff, I know it’s one piece of vision but it seems like a regular occurrence with Jones.

Dumb footballing, and it’s too common.
I saw Jonesy up close last season vs HFC @ Optus, and I was very concerned on the defending viewed.

He needs to be played to his strengths, as he can dominate up at CHB but overall defending still needs a ton of work.

And you’d think that Doch would be better equipped to direct the backline after his assistant coaching but he seems to be missing an edge to his game & leadership.

Ciccio

Senior List
Oct 13, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Juventus, Chelsea

For those that didn’t see it, the Fox article below contains the footage.

Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Dumb footballing, and it’s too common.
I saw Jonesy up close last season vs HFC @ Optus, and I was very concerned on the defending viewed.

He needs to be played to his strengths, as he can dominate up at CHB but overall defending still needs a ton of work.

And you’d think that Doch would be better equipped to direct the backline after his assistant coaching but he seems to be missing an edge to his game & leadership.

In the last all four backmen flew for the spoil and all ended on the ground sprawled out whilst dogs read it and spread it and centered the goals .We will be better for the run .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bobmonkey

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back