Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wherever humans are involved human errors can occur. Netball final was decided recently by an umpire giving the wrong centre pass. NFL had deflategate where a team got the footballs deflated to suit their quarterback, test cricket recently handed the Poms a change over ball that was significantly better than the one it replaced.

This is true and a big reason why sporting codes need to have processes in place to minimise human error or in some cases reverse it. We can debate different ways of improving the status quo and there would be several good ideas, but something needs to change. The AFL is a multi Billion $$$$ industry and we recently had a player a meter out of play hand balling to a team mate also a meter out off play, kicking the ball from out of play and allowing the goal to stand because the ability to reverse the decision isn’t there.

We now most likely have a team miss finals and the money, exposure and experience that comes with it because one man got a single decision wrong and there was no way of reversing it.

I know you dont like the idea Montagna raised last night, but i would much rather that, than having umpires review every decision (average 20 seconds) because they are too scared to make a mistake.

Why only review scores? Why not review every bit of play/umpiring decision? If we're focusing so much on every decision being correct.

It's really crap for the Crows. It was a mistake by a goal umpire. How many times have we seen a disastrously incorrect umpiring decision cost a team?

I'd hate to constantly be unsure if play is going to be brought back. I think that aspect of VAR in soccer sucks. One shocking failure of process shouldn't cause us to fundamentally change the game in the way you're suggesting.

Umpires don’t have any affect on the outcome of a game…..

You’re lying if you say it was Carlton and think the same thing

I love how Whately pulls out the Marchy decision when he can’t claim he has any *ing idea whether it was touched or not but not show the absolute disgrace of a decision 2 weeks ago to let the Cameron goal stand.

Btw, I agree with Whately somewhat, all goals/points decisions should be reviewed by the bunker but I’d leave it as it is now with goal umpires giving their thoughts on what they think happened and review when they want to.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re going to put a microchip in the footy which will be hacked resulting in an audible message to put off the player trying to win the game with a kick after the siren. Choice of a few. “Your mother wears army boots”. “Miss, miss Cocky’s piss”. “Chewy on ya boot”.

fff78a6088d7da0b4cc2b364e1ab0fb7.jpg

Simmo…

Thought it was interesting to have a look at the ladder for the first 11 games of the season, vs what a ladder would look like for the past 11 games.
Interesting to see how some clubs have risen (Blues, GWS and even Tigers) and fallen (Pies, Port, Saints, Dogs, Crows), or stagnated (Ess were 6-5 in the first half and 5-6 in the 2nd half).
Percentages are pretty interesting too. Carlton and GWS making significant inroads (+40%). Essendon, despite similar win/loss, took a dive of around 20%.
Pies taking an 18% hit. Port staying similar, despite a couple of extra losses. Tigers having a WORSE percentage, despite jumping from 15th to 8th and having 7 wins vs 3.
1692760859860.png

This video is from a different code but explains how team cohesion has predicted success in world rugby union.

It could be a reason why voss has been sturdy with selecting a similar outfit without much variation.

Interesting watch none the less:

Seen both at their heights, Charlie much more KPF. Kouta the ultimate utility, could go anywhere anytime. Both a joy. Just need Charlie to do a '95!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
At the peak of his powers, Kouta was unstoppable, could play every position on the ground and was the best player in the comp by a long way. Too quick and athletic for tall opponents, too tall/strong for small quick opponents, impossible to match up on.
Having said that, I don't think we have seen Charlie peak yet, scary scary thought.

At the peak of his powers, Kouta was unstoppable, could play every position on the ground and was the best player in the comp by a long way. Too quick and athletic for tall opponents, too tall/strong for small quick opponents, impossible to match up on.
Having said that, I don't think we have seen Charlie peak yet, scary scary thought.

Kouta was also a long way ahead of his time. A sensational athlete who learned football, and really paved the way for similar types in the future.

Charlie is elite and right in the conversation amongst the best handful of players in the AFL. But I don't see him changing the game or challenging people's perceptions of what an AFL player is. Just playing the game bloody well.

The scary thing is, I don't think that we've seen the best of Charlie yet. If he continues to get continuity into his game who knows what he could do? I haven't seen too many key forwards do all the things that he does so well.

Fox Sports showing the teams in the premiership window this season, based on being top 6 for offence and defence. Blues sitting in top 6 for defence, but not offence (9th).
I decided to apply the same metrics to my ladder for the 2nd half of the season, and also did one for the past 8 weeks.
For the past 11 games, we have moved to 7th for points for and 1st for points against.
For the past 8 games, we have jumped to the top in both metrics.
The only two teams in the top 6 for both in the last 11 games is GWS and Lions.
For the past 8 games, it changes to Blues, GWS and Dees.

1692851848314.png
1692851880248.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back