Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Viva la benevolent dictatorship!

Not a dictatorship at all :)

Would players sooner have someone that's not on their back, doesn't call them at nights to keep them in check and puts the fear of god into them on the training track.........or someone nice?
Do rookies and new recruits get the same voting rights as for much more senior players? How does all this work?

Players should not be voting on who the captain should be other than for them to feel a little good about being part of the process, in which case, it's all somewhat token anyway.

Not a dictatorship at all :)

Would players sooner have someone that's not on their back, doesn't call them at nights to keep them in check and puts the fear of god into them on the training track.........or someone nice?
Do rookies and new recruits get the same voting rights as for much more senior players? How does all this work?

Players should not be voting on who the captain should be other than for them to feel a little good about being part of the process, in which case, it's all somewhat token anyway.
Just having a bit of a laugh at the relative differences between attitudes in different spheres of life.

Would you say that of governmental democracy? Probably not.

Probably a chat for the SRP board, anyway.

Just having a bit of a laugh at the relative differences between attitudes in different spheres of life.
Would you say that of governmental democracy? Probably not.
Probably a chat for the SRP board, anyway.

I see it as a very different thing.

Should employees make the decision on management? Think about how that may go? :)

Not the decision, but certainly have great input

Employees that have input, take responsibility and embrace direction/change

Open dialogue is terrific and should be encouraged.

The selection of the captain shouldn't be part of that process though.
In fact, I see it as potentially causing more friction than for anything good that may come about because of it.

Open dialogue is terrific and should be encouraged.

The selection of the captain shouldn't be part of that process though.
In fact, I see it as potentially causing more friction than for anything good that may come about because of it.

Ownership by the group, plays massive role in any organisation.

I see it as a very different thing.

Should employees make the decision on management? Think about how that may go? :)
I rather think that would depend on who you're asking at any given moment.

Rather, I think that, given sufficient time/experience in a role, provided the feedback they get is honest, anyone can to a certain extent be a more than competent manager/coach. And what makes employees less relevant on making decisions about their leaders than, say, a shareholder who has less to do with the business and less knowledge?

Limiting it to a football club, democracy can work, but like every system of organisation/control it needs the appropriate level of honesty, support, and training to ensure that they leaders chosen consistently improve. In addition, imposing captaincy 'candidates' for you to choose or simply choosing a person to lead the playing list can not work, but the pressure points are different; instead of the pressure being on the candidate to improve, the pressure is felt by the list who feel untrusted with the future of their team. It again requires there to be honesty, support and the right framework to ensure that everyone is on the same page and disgruntlement is kept to a minimum.

Basically, any system is as stable as the people within it. What is required is acute understanding of where the pressure points are within them, and the ability to ensure that bureaucratizational processes don't result in decreasing the efficient flow of information/feedback between layers in the hierarchy.

Players can vote and top three go to the coach/es to decide.

Otherwise players get no say.

Coach needs to be able to pick who is going to embody their vision and carry out the instructions on the field, while having enough smarts to change things up when needed.

I don’t think they do a vote in isolation - its very much tied in with a group lead approach to developing goals, values etc. So that the leadership group are then chosen on the basis of those that are most aligned, driving the achievement of team goals, game plan or whatever else they have deemed to be important.

It seems to be about getting “leadership density” not just captains driving the behaviour.

I remember at the Pies Bucks got the players to vote on who should be Captain and the players voted for Maxwell. Bucks then made Pendlebury Captain. Was a big part of him initially losing the players. Swan said he didn’t care who was captain but don’t waste the playing groups time asking there opinion. If you are going to ignore it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone was listening...
(I take all credit)

WWEBuddyArticle.jpg

Bluebagger Buddy's crowning moment

Cristian Filippo said:
A SATURDAY in spring at the MCG. For boyhood Bluebagger Buddy Murphy, that may have previously held the dream of an AFL premiership.

However, October 6 2018 marked Murphy’s crowning moment. In front of 70,000 people, the hometown hero became the first Australian to win WWE gold.

Carlton’s influence on the newest Cruiserweight Champion is evident. His real name Matthew Adams, Buddy’s ‘ring name’ takes inspiration from Carlton’s own Marc Murphy.

At Ikon Park for the first time in 15 years on Friday, Murphy said there was no choice involved for him and his brother.

“I’m a massive fan. I was made to become a Carlton fan by the old man,” Murphy said.

“I love it and I’ve got my long-sleeved guernsey back in Florida, so it’s a little too warm to wear it.”

Buddy’ also highlighted Craig Bradley, Chris Judd, Stephen Kernahan, Matthew Lappin, Stephen Silvagni and now Patrick Cripps as his favourite Blues.

However, he can’t look past Carlton’s No.3 — the number which features on the back of Buddy's new Blues guernsey.

“Not surprisingly, Marc Murphy was a bit of an inspiration for me, which has now come into my wrestling career,” Buddy said.

“Patrick Cripps is an absolute gun and he’s probably my favourite at the moment.

“Just watching the guys perform, I can appreciate them a lot more now being an athlete. What they do is brutal.”

Due to fly back to the other side of the world this weekend, he said he’d continue to keep tabs on the Blues — and try to make his fellow WWE Superstars bound by blue.

“I try and get the other WWE Superstars and my fiancé to watch it, but for some reason they like the NFL,” Murphy said.

“I have to talk about it with my dad and brother. Every day we’re talking about trades. It’s the best sport in the world.”

Just a few random playing group stats from since SOS has taken over:

Of the 44 non retirees SOS inherited in 2015, 9 players remain on the list (20%)

Of the 46 players Bolts coached in 2016, 16 players remain on the list (34%)

SOS has moved on 43 non retirees, of which:
- 5 remain on an AFL list (11%)
- 12 were picked up by him (27%)

SOS has added 44 new players to our list, of which:
- 15 are no longer on the list (34%)
- 19 were drafted in the first round previously (43%)
- 23 have played AFL for another club (52%)
- 9 of these were from GWS (39%)
- Crows (3) and Cats (2) only other multiples

Another piece of trivia:

SOS inherited 40 players in 2015 that have not genuinely retired, of which 26 are no longer playing AFL.

In other words, the base SOS started with was only 14 players that have been considered good enough to remain on an AFL list just three years on.

By way of comparison, these are numbers for other clubs to build on during the same period:

26 players – Hawthorn, Richmond
25 players – Collingwood
22 players – Eagles
21 players – Essendon, North
20 players – Lions

Puts it into perspective somewhat - SOS started with only two-thirds of a team considered good enough to play AFL beyond three years, whereas most other clubs have essentially been able to focus on improving the quality of their best 22 in the same timeframe, while retaining quality depth.

Another piece of trivia:

SOS inherited 40 players in 2015 that have not genuinely retired, of which 26 are no longer playing AFL.

In other words, the base SOS started with was only 14 players that have been considered good enough to remain on an AFL list just three years on.

By way of comparison, these are numbers for other clubs to build on during the same period:

26 players – Hawthorn, Richmond
25 players – Collingwood
22 players – Eagles

21 players – Essendon, North
20 players – Lions

Puts it into perspective somewhat - SOS started with only two-thirds of a team considered good enough to play AFL beyond three years, whereas most other clubs have essentially been able to focus on improving the quality of their best 22 in the same timeframe, while retaining quality depth.
These numbers certainly put some of the coaching efforts into perspective. The coaches of this year's Top 4 all had very strong bases to work with.

It would be interesting to see how this stacks up in 2-3 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back