Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being number one pick gets you no extra credit towards playing round one over someone picked at seventy.

Being capable of playing round one is entirely different, most are aware enough to know how close they are to being AFL ready, hence some conceding they are aiming at a VFL start.
Disagree, unless he is not match fit you always play the number 1 pick in round 1.

Disagree, unless he is not match fit you always play the number 1 pick in round 1.
Nope, make them earn it.

No point being match fit if you don’t understand your role and/or cannot follow instructions.

Nope, make them earn it.

No point being match fit if you don’t understand your role and/or cannot follow instructions.

You may find recent history prove you wrong, even though what you're suggesting is right.

Shouldn't make a difference but somehow it just does

You may find recent history prove you wrong, even though what you're suggesting is right.

Shouldn't make a difference but somehow it just does
Being pick one would suggest you are almost AFL ready, with the right approach to training and instruction, should be no reason to miss round one if fit.

Don’t like what it does to a team if someone is considered an automatic pick without having proven anything to the club, or at that level at a different club. Creates a sense of entitlement

Being pick one would suggest you are almost AFL ready, with the right approach to training and instruction, should be no reason to miss round one if fit.

Don’t like what it does to a team if someone is considered an automatic pick without having proven anything to the club, or at that level at a different club. Creates a sense of entitlement
Agree

Nope, make them earn it.

Your idea the number one draft pick is just like any other new recruit is just wrong.

Your idea the number one draft pick is just like any other new recruit is just wrong.
Was discussing automatic selection for round one, nothing more.

Hard to discuss when you say my idea is wrong but don’t offer an explanation why or how.

The Carlton Member’s Forum tonight.

I was there for the refreshments and was a little disappointed that people kept asking questions.

The President spoke for a short time. A rerun of what we already knew.

Bolts and Sam introduced the new players and took some questions from the floor.

Daniel Harford and Brianna Davey represented the AFLW, introducing the new players and taking some questions.

Then the fun started.

Questions from the floor to the President, CEO, CFO and Football Manager. The Prez copped a bit from sections of the crowd. I knew he was in trouble when a man in a pinstripe suit started to list his failures. There were a couple of others including the infamous Joe who called on the Board to resign as a result of a litany of failures.

There were a number of people prepared to stand up and support the current administration. The end result is that I’d scored it as a win for the current direction of the club.

Eventually the huff and puff subsided and the forum adjourned to free drinks and finger food.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want peoples opinions on what they thought about about boltons little speech during jumper presentation and what you make of it ... He said something on the lines about look at this jumper ..it's the most powerful jumper in the league and its bigger than you ...well that's all good and said but it could have the opposite effect ..I just feel talk like this will do nothing but harm by putting added pressure on the young lads .....pressure on themselves

I just want peoples opinions on what they thought about about boltons little speech during jumper presentation and what you make of it ... He said something on the lines about look at this jumper ..it's the most powerful jumper in the league and its bigger than you ...well that's all good and said but it could have the opposite effect ..I just feel talk like this will do nothing but harm by putting added pressure on the young lads .....pressure on themselves

...all I'll say is if it was me I'd quickly get sick of these types of speeches. Might be selective editing by the PR department but seem to be a lot of these emotive pep talks with the pause for dramatic effect.

Doubt it. They're under more pressure regardless, having been selected by an AFL club to play at the highest level. They'll be scrutinised and assessed by all and sundry, their successes will feel fleeting while any errors will hang over them for days, if not weeks. It's the nature of the competition and the circus surrounding it. A team-first attitude is hugely beneficial, especially with young players. Their success is the team's success, and the team's success is theirs. Same with failure - the team will help shoulder their failures, and the team's failure rests on everyone's shoulders. This little speech probably won't have much impact in and of itself, but it's a simple, memorable moment that the coaches can refer back to when needed, to reassure players who are struggling, and to bind them together in success and the pursuit of success.

...all I'll say is if it was me I'd quickly get sick of these types of speeches. Might be selective editing by the PR department but seem to be a lot of these emotive pep talks with the pause for dramatic effect.

This is more relevant, I feel. By their 5th or 6th year on the list, there will be players who tune this sort of stuff out. While it's more for the benefit of the younger guys, it's important for the whole team to be present though - again, to instill that sense of shared purpose.

Have no issue with it. But it was only a soundbite so not fully aware of the context of it within their meeting. He is right though.

Some love it, some hate it. For me it makes me cringe but I do realise some truly get something out of it

please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back