Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the media has been pretty friendly with us tbh. Like Whately said, we've had a free pass so far this season. This is the first time the media has really come after us and the coach. There's been mumblings around, but nothing substantial. Only after 2 horror losses in 3 weeks has it happened.

The media this season, in general, has been positive. Cripps is the best player in the comp, Carlton might be the best 1-6 team ever etc.

After the last 3 weeks we deserve to get hammered a bit and it isn't unfair. Efforts like against North and on Sunday against GWS get coaches fired if it becomes a habit, and considering it's happened twice in 3 weeks we're teetering to a degree. If it happens again the next month or so we're in real trouble.

Losing is one thing but losing that way is a coach killer.

Sure. I just want folks to be aware that I don't want to burn the whole place to the ground. I support most of what the LoGiudice regime put in place back in 2015. We needed a full rebuild. I hope we keep most of the existing pieces and see the job to completion.

Note, not all the pieces put in place back in 2015 are still in place. We adapt, we evolve.

Steven Trigg was a victim, replace by Cain Liddle (which I consider an upgrade).
I would put Bolts (and his assistants) in the Trigg camp, we can do a lot better.
For me the season starts this week against the saints, still 14 games to go and i'm expecting plenty of improvement. We need our best side out there most weeks which we haven't had so far this season. No way known i would sack Bolton mid season or at all, lets wait till the end of the season see how we went and then make a decision.

Sure. I just want folks to be aware that I don't want to burn the whole place to the ground. I support most of what the LoGiudice regime put in place back in 2015. We needed a full rebuild. I hope we keep most of the existing pieces and see the job to completion.

Note, not all the pieces put in place back in 2015 are still in place. We adapt, we evolve.

Steven Trigg was a victim, replace by Cain Liddle (which I consider an upgrade).
I would put Bolts (and his assistants) in the Trigg camp, we can do a lot better.
You don't know there is a better senior available

For me the season starts this week against the saints, still 14 games to go and i'm expecting plenty of improvement. We need our best side out there most weeks which we haven't had so far this season. No way known i would sack Bolton mid season or at all, lets wait till the end of the season see how we went and then make a decision.

I hope we win all 4 games.

I am strictly speaking 2020 onwards, basically the same as you.

A big month awaits.

you never asked for it - and here it is - part 2 of bald guy in cafe:

as he is leaving:

ME "Stick with 'em mate"
BG "I will"
ME "They just can't sack him"
BG "They will though"
ME "That's old Carlton"
BG "They've done all the hard work"
ME "Absolutely"
BG "You seem like a very switched on, reflective supporter"
ME "You idiot"

Meh

I'll at least save judgement until after this weekend's game ...

If the Club comes out firing (dare I say wins), then most rational people will have faith restored in the rebuild

I'll only start seriously worrying about the plan when we're getting belted week in, week out, which hasn't happened despite our list profile and injuries

John Kennedy once said "Do Something!!!". Our coach does the opposite "Do Nothing!!!!".

I agree that when things aren't working, you need to try something else.

But just for accuracy, I'd like to point out that John Kennedy said that at half time of the 1975 GF when the Hawks were down by 20 points.

After doing SOMETHING, the Hawks lost the match by 55. Maybe they SHOULD have done nothing...? ;)

did not know that was where that came from, matthew........interesting, it didn't work........although they went on to win the next year and 78........

Maybe the lesson for us is that it can take longer than expected for your actions to have an impact. And that you have to be patient?

5dQU1Hy.gif

Realistically where are we going to get 3 A grade mature players from?

Brisbane managed to attract players like Neale, despite being in Brisbane, and being not much better than us. He's basically played a huge hand in several wins this year for them already.

At the end of the day, we have a LOT of money to spend, and remain an attractive club with 'off field' opportunities for media and other financial incentives and sponsorship.

It's only ******* toothless idiots who cant see that the current form is temporary (due to being a TAC cup side), and that when our kids get some games into them we'll be right up the top end of the ladder in a few years.

Players arent reactionary idiots like many of our own supporters are. They know the story, and understand where the list is at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only ******* toothless idiots who cant see that the current form is temporary (due to being a TAC cup side), and that when our kids get some games into them we'll be right up the top end of the ladder in a few years.

Players arent reactionary idiots like many of our own supporters are. They know the story, and understand where the list is at.

That's pretty harsh, Mal!

Some of us have teeth :p

For all the chicken little posters crying out for a sacrifice.

2018 ladder at round 9:
1558409090837.png

2019 ladder at round 9:
1558409154758.png

Brisbane started their rebuild a couple of years before us. This time last year they looked shot. They'd had a handful of competitive losses, one win, and an absolute shellacking in which they kicked 2 goals for the game. They also had another 2 big losses later in the season - down by 9 goals against NM, and 7 goals against Geelong.

This year, they're in the top 4 with a slightly sub-par percentage.

Now, I'm not penciling us in for top 4 next year. Just highlighting - AGAIN - that in the context of a rebuild, this year isn't exactly unreasonable. It's not what we, the fans, want after years of poor performances. But we're not even halfway through the season, and there's a lot of water still to go under the bridge. Sacking Bolton now does nothing. If his game plan isn't stacking up, then the club needs to encourage him to innovate. He's a new coach, he's learning as much as the players are. Whatever he was doing was working for the first 6 rounds. We were in every game late, but our young players lacked the composure to close it out and bury the opposition. We had an off game against NM. We responded really well against one of the flag favourite sides the following week, but just missed out. And the mental and physical toll of that game looked to leave us in a really poor position to take on a GWS outfit that were themselves coming off an embarrassing loss.

The Round 14 bye is a killer, this season. For a young side, a break in Round 12 would have been extremely beneficial, but instead we have to push through an extra two games before we get a break. As I've suggested in another thread, I think we need to put development to the side for the next month. Rest some kids, bring in some more seasoned bodies, and just do whatever needs to be done to grind out 2 wins from the next four games. All 4 are winnable, and we need to break even. I don't care if we only kick 60 points a game, as long as we get the 2 wins required to release some pressure. Get to 3 wins and then enjoy the break. Come back refreshed and focus on putting together 9 good games of footy.

Another full preseason from AR, another chance to bring in some quality senior players, and maybe next year things click.

Brisbane managed to attract players like Neale, despite being in Brisbane, and being not much better than us. He's basically played a huge hand in several wins this year for them already.

At the end of the day, we have a LOT of money to spend, and remain an attractive club with 'off field' opportunities for media and other financial incentives and sponsorship.

100%. Also year hasn't finished. What if we finish the year off well and the younger players start to really show improvement.

Up to the club to show what a future we have. We will also bring in those players over 2 trade periods.

I agree that when things aren't working, you need to try something else.

But just for accuracy, I'd like to point out that John Kennedy said that at half time of the 1975 GF when the Hawks were down by 20 points.

After doing SOMETHING, the Hawks lost the match by 55. Maybe they SHOULD have done nothing...? ;)

They were in a Grand Final.

We are last on the ladder.

4 wins & 37 losses in last 41 games.
16 wins & 59 losses overall for Bolton.

Sure, temporary. Let's keep doing this. All fine. Change nothing. 93 point losses are temporary.

I think the media has been pretty friendly with us tbh. Like Whately said, we've had a free pass so far this season. This is the first time the media has really come after us and the coach. There's been mumblings around, but nothing substantial. Only after 2 horror losses in 3 weeks has it happened.

The media this season, in general, has been positive. Cripps is the best player in the comp, Carlton might be the best 1-6 team ever etc.

After the last 3 weeks we deserve to get hammered a bit and it isn't unfair. Efforts like against North and on Sunday against GWS get coaches fired if it becomes a habit, and considering it's happened twice in 3 weeks we're teetering to a degree. If it happens again the next month or so we're in real trouble.

how was mars?

4 wins & 37 losses in last 41 games.
16 wins & 59 losses overall for Bolton.

Sure, temporary. Let's keep doing this. All fine. Change nothing. 93 point losses are temporary.

You're quoting those numbers out of context.

Over that period we've started with the worst list in the comp (thanks to blowing the prior 8 years of drafts and leaking senior players out the door in Betts, Garlett, Robinson, and the year this started, Henderson, Yarran etc).

Our list was total trash at the start of his tenure.

A (clear) decision was made then to go hard at the draft and get in as many kids as we could over the next 3 years to build a totally new list from the ground up.

That process is complete now, but we're left with a core best 22 where over half of them are 1st, 2nd and 3rd year players with less than 50 games played. Were basically currently in the same position as GWS or GCS in their 1st and 2nd years; dozens of talented kids supported by a small number of older B graders and 1 elite star in Cripps.

Those kids need time (2 more years in fact) and we need to recruit seasoned A graders to supplement them.

If we win this week by 1 point, lose a couple through injury, get hammered by 60+ the week after and win again by a point the following week because said players are back in the team, would the media get confused or hammer us anyway??

My point, young teams with no stamina, body size or experience are going swing in round abouts. Even with Clarkson in charge you cannot change any of these facts. 2020 was and is the year to take aim...

OK I'll bite.

What would you change??

Select a better team: Matthew Kennedy into the team and into the middle. Dow out to the wing, or to the 2nds.
Once a team kicks 3 goals in a row, rollout a full-on ultra-defensive strategy to stem the bleeding.
I would have planned for Matthew DeBoar and had an enforcer tag the tagger, and rough him up as best a possible.
I would have had a lot meat & strength in the inside contest: Kennedy, Gibbons, JSOS, Charlie & Ed.
I would also have a training program that places a far higher emphasis on skills (which were appalling), tackling (appalling), and simulating situational awareness (a big philosophy of the Bill Belicheck school of coaching).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back