Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Record premiership droughts spurring AFL clubs in 2019

9368be9a3c17a8e99c8ac6a3fe16a82e925e331c

Perhaps the most significant member of the aforementioned group of clubs is Carlton.

Regarded as one of the powerhouse clubs of the competition in generations gone by, this year takes on historic significant because the Blues' active premiership drought will become their longest ever – surpassing the 23-year drought they experienced between 1915-1938.

After 81 years, the Blues have set a new benchmark of malaise for themselves, which is symbolic of how spectacular their fall from grace has been in the last couple of decades - five wooden spoons in 17 seasons and the loss of their status as a ‘Big Four’ Victorian club.
The changing of the guard isn’t only apparent in Carlton’s misfortune, though, because if their arch rival Essendon fail to win the flag this year, they too will enter their longest ever flag drought next season.

Last edited:
This time of year is like those movies where sailing shits get stuck in the doldrums, usually hot, no air, no wind, no news, nothing happening.

Hurry up and football!!!
love "sailing shits" passy, but hear what you're saying..........

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
A tackle is the same for every player.

As defined by CD "Using physical contact to prevent an opponent in possession of the ball from getting an effective disposal."

Not sure why Murphy gets a hard time here, has been a great asset to the club from the very first day he was drafted.
But some players tackles are more impressive than others...

Blue bunker

Draftee
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
History will tell you things change quickly in footy with rule changes and list changes and older players getting slower and the game getting quicker. Da da da were back baby.......☆☆☆☆☆

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
A tackle is the same for every player.

As defined by CD "Using physical contact to prevent an opponent in possession of the ball from getting an effective disposal."

Not sure why Murphy gets a hard time here, has been a great asset to the club from the very first day he was drafted.
And here is that in video format. Dustin Martin awarded 7 tackles. I counted 1.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
And here is that in video format. Dustin Martin awarded 7 tackles. I counted 1.

And there you have it folks,

an Atempted tackle is counted as a tackle stat.

Happy to be proven wrong.

looking forward to the future..

Go Blues.
Whilst none of those in the video were traditional wrap him up ball and all tackles they all fit champion data’s definition, which I’ve got at the top. All of those actions by dusty resulted in a turnover or at least a disposal that went nowhere.

Sooo. I saw 7 times dusty used physical contact to prevent the opposition getting an effective disposal.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

Whilst none of those in the video were traditional wrap him up ball and all tackles they all fit champion data’s definition, which I’ve got at the top. All of those actions by dusty resulted in a turnover or at least a disposal that went nowhere.

Sooo. I saw 7 times dusty used physical contact to prevent the opposition getting an effective disposal.
Whereas I see a player that missed his target while dusty was in the proximity 6 times and a tackle 1 time.

Sep 28, 2013
Macedon Ranges
AFL Club
Carlton

see what you see, believe what you want to believe.

lets just leave it, and move on.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Whereas I see a player that missed his target while dusty was in the proximity 6 times and a tackle 1 time.
Well yeah. But that still conforms to champion data’s definition. Dusty used some physical contact and their was an ineffective disposal in the end.

Stats need to be objective so they’ve gotta draw the line somewhere on what defines a tackle. This is what they’ve come up with.

Blue bunker

Draftee
Jan 6, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Competitive able to revive past glory. I have seen a lot of footy and yes it's exciting times ahead so yeah i can see the light at the end of the tunnel 😎

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Well yeah. But that still conforms to champion data’s definition. Dusty used some physical contact and their was an ineffective disposal in the end.

Stats need to be objective so they’ve gotta draw the line somewhere on what defines a tackle. This is what they’ve come up with.
When I first saw that video I thought there must be a lot of tackles counted during football matches if they classify as tackles but no. It’s just the stat padding of Dustin Martin. If someone like SPS was doing the exact same thing it would be called a pressure act NOT a tackle.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
see what you see, believe what you want to believe.

lets just leave it, and move on.

Would have always loved to have seen Murphy with a bigger and better midfield. IMO played the role he had to but wasn’t suited to. If he had played as a winger/outside mid he would have been more appreciated (and less injured)

Absolutely given his best all the time and I can’t criticise him for it. If anything I have high respect for what he has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back