Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moody Blue? More like Doody Blue!

And in the blue corner - Hopey V!

#namecallinglikeapro

Don't mind a bit of honest criticism of Bolts. It'll start to come this year, as it should, barring any catastrophic injury bullshit like last year - which really can't be laid at the feet of one man.

Where it gets silly though is claims that Bolton has lost the respect of the 40-man playing group because Pickett came back unfit and Fasolo had a few drinks on Australia day. Seriously, Moody? Those two players are representative of the entire list? Fasolo has been here a matter of months, and Pickett has come back unfit every season.

Never mind Cripps being in ripping shape, Fisher looking sharper than ever, Charlie going beast at training, McKay playing with confidence, JSOS dramatically improving his running, Kennedy smashing contests, Setterfield a bee's dick away from full training, SPS in career best shape, Murphy looking fitter than ever after relinquishing the captaincy, LoB starting to show leadership traits, Weitering stronger than ever - the list goes on.

Bolton has the respect of the playing group. He's investing heavily into their development and they're starting to show the benefits. One repeat offender has had trouble being disciplined during his holidays, and a new recruit got a little bit silly on Australia Day at a private residence and suffered an unlucky injury. The world isn't coming apart at the seams.

By all means, question Bolton's decisions on matchday. But maybe temper it with some kind of indication that you understand and accept that any coach would struggle to stay competitive with a mid-rebuild list missing half of its best 22 through injury in any given week, and half of the remainder playing under duress. Balanced assessment over chicken little bleating.

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest I see no cheerleaders. I see passionate folks that are optimistic and hopeful that we are getting it right slowly after 20 years in the doldrums. As for the negs no I won't ignore them because everyone is right sometimes and after all this is a forum for discussion. But its fair to say for a few here it's always nothing but negative and that can be tedious to wade through.

It's the BS accusations that are annoying. Posters on here that won't discuss a subject without changing it into something entirely different and then simply making up stuff about others. Positive or negative that is the issue. Hiding from reality

Explains a lot about some of these control freaks.

As soon as people revert to name calling, you know you have won the argument. Pathetic really, but I will leave you all in peace until midway through the season, and you can commence your name calling.

Control freaks, name calling ............... WHERE! :think:

Enough pushing your negative agenda and derailing every thread on BB.

You are entitled to your opinion as we all are but it's getting very tiresome with negative repetitiveness & point scoring which has been going on for years.

You have been warned several times and take this a a final warning!

Moody Blue? More like Doody Blue!

And in the blue corner - Hopey V!

#namecallinglikeapro

Don't mind a bit of honest criticism of Bolts. It'll start to come this year, as it should, barring any catastrophic injury bullshit like last year - which really can't be laid at the feet of one man.

Where it gets silly though is claims that Bolton has lost the respect of the 40-man playing group because Pickett came back unfit and Fasolo had a few drinks on Australia day. Seriously, Moody? Those two players are representative of the entire list? Fasolo has been here a matter of months, and Pickett has come back unfit every season.

Never mind Cripps being in ripping shape, Fisher looking sharper than ever, Charlie going beast at training, McKay playing with confidence, JSOS dramatically improving his running, Kennedy smashing contests, Setterfield a bee's dick away from full training, SPS in career best shape, Murphy looking fitter than ever after relinquishing the captaincy, LoB starting to show leadership traits, Weitering stronger than ever - the list goes on.

Bolton has the respect of the playing group. He's investing heavily into their development and they're starting to show the benefits. One repeat offender has had trouble being disciplined during his holidays, and a new recruit got a little bit silly on Australia Day at a private residence and suffered an unlucky injury. The world isn't coming apart at the seams.

By all means, question Bolton's decisions on matchday. But maybe temper it with some kind of indication that you understand and accept that any coach would struggle to stay competitive with a mid-rebuild list missing half of its best 22 through injury in any given week, and half of the remainder playing under duress. Balanced assessment over chicken little bleating.

cheerleader.jpg cheerleader.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll argue with you Thy. It is actually commence because it hasn't happened yet. The comments regarding "name calling" are false. There has been no name calling. It's just a distraction

Interesting that on this occasion, "Moody" has yet to respond to many of the questions regarding his comments :think:
In fact Moody was the name caller when he called us cheerleaders, why am I getting involved in this, let’s talk footy specifically Carlton footy and cut the fish wife talk.

Bolton has made a massive difference to club since arriving. It's a happy place. So much we can't or don't see. The players and staff love him.

Is he the right coach to lead us to a flag? Not sure, as I can't tell and don't know enough.

What I do know is that I can't judge him on that until he has the players and structure in place to achieve that and IMO that won't be until 2020 at least. The only reason to get rid of him early would be is if he lost the players or was toxic and at the moment that certainly isn't the case

It’s not even about one man anymore the Coach is no longer an island it is about a team of coaches working together to achieve the best result, as has been shown by Richmond and Collingwood and even West Coast it is more effective to change the balance of people around the head coach than to change the coach, get the right team around the man you get the result.

Would West Coast have won the flag without Sam Mitchell running the midfield? I very much doubt it. Would Richmond have won there flag without the changes they made to assistant coaches the year before? Again probably not.

Just like getting the on field mix right it is now just as important to get the off field mix right. A tweak here a tweak there and all of a sudden it clicks it works it hums.

We are still in the process of getting both mixes right and are going about it the right way. Bolton understands this and that is why he is the man to build the right mix on and off field. We are 3 years in after starting from literally scratch, we have achieved a lot in those 3 years in terms of player turnover as well as personnel turnover and there will still be more to come no doubt.

But as long as the club is functioning harmoniously as a whole and all moving in the same direction under Bolton he is the man to manage the club going forward, and I say manage rather than coach because that is probably more what the job is in this age of modern AFL.

I am feeling a little apprehensive about season 2019. I think our ceiling is 5-6 wins (although looking at the fixture not confident where we will get them) and that will be BB's wins KPI.

I did think we couldnt possibly be as unlucky injury wise again but I am concerned about the training reports and players who are not yet training fully and i am a little suspicious the club is not as open as they could be re players fitness levels.

So rather than excited put me in the a little apprehensive column.
But who would have thought the Pies would have gone from 13th? to losing a grand final by 5 points last year.(I came perilously close to getting Buckley's face inked on my bum) We'll be right.

But who would have thought the Pies would have gone from 13th? to losing a grand final by 5 points last year.(I came perilously close to getting Buckley's face inked on my bum) We'll be right.
Well certainly not me. They certainly had a fair few injuries throughout the year (not quite as bad as us) but showed what can be done if you have depth at your club.

I think we will rise 3-5 spots in 2019 but you never know we may have a Pie like surge.

Well certainly not me. They certainly had a fair few injuries throughout the year (not quite as bad as us) but showed what can be done if you have depth at your club.

I think we will rise 3-5 spots in 2019 but you never know we may have a Pie like surge.
Yep! Someone does it every year. I reckon it might as well be us this year. But be warned ,don't be foolishly positive like me.

Do you have a source for the fact? I find it surprising and counter-intuitive, and therefore very interesting if true.

Counter-intuitive as there were some games we had so little of the ball I would be surprised we even had the time to do much in the way of offensive running yards. And they weren't the games we won.
It basically when broken down comes down to the fact that players are willing to run harder and longer when in possession than they are when the opposition is in possession, not a new concept.

Do you have a source for the fact? I find it surprising and counter-intuitive, and therefore very interesting if true.

Counter-intuitive as there were some games we had so little of the ball I would be surprised we even had the time to do much in the way of offensive running yards. And they weren't the games we won.

I would suggest, based solely on intuition, that a team which moves the ball effectively out of defense is going to run a lot of "defense" meters moving the ball out and making the next position, and the next....

A defense that fails to win possession, or turns it over, won't be going anywhere.

I guess the question is, at what point does the running of the defense players transitioning into an attacking movement cease to be defense meters? If at all.

Most attacks in some form or another come from the defensive third. Even from ball up clearances at centre square stoppages, the ball is often gained then fed back to the distributor at the back of the square or by the running HBF'ers that sweep through the wing area (circa Hawthorn for example). This is one reason that Doc is so missed in our line up.
Especially now with the 666 rule which means we can’t play our Half forwards off the back of the square at centre bounces, might have to slip a winger back there, wouldn’t be surprised if we saw all wingman starting from back of square instead of side at some stage, will be interesting to see.

I would suggest, based solely on intuition, that a team which moves the ball effectively out of defense is going to run a lot of "defense" meters moving the ball out and making the next position, and the next....

A defense that fails to win possession, or turns it over, won't be going anywhere.

I guess the question is, at what point does the running of the defense players transitioning into an attacking movement cease to be defense meters? If at all.
When your team has the ball you are running offensively when the opposition has the ball you are running defensively plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back