Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
he keeps that kind of talk up I could almost forgive him for 2001...........yeah almost............

Will you forgive Jordan Doering too?

I reckon these views undersell Teague's achievements tbh.

Has he made them more talented? No, but he has made adjustments to the way they play and positional changes, game plan and simplified their roles. This is what I have read and have seen watching them play. If you have more information to inside news, I'm happy to hear it.

That wasn’t my intention at all JB, but I get how it could have come across that way.

Just to be clear, in my mind Teaguey has undoubtably done a terrific job, and has been appropriately rewarded for doing so by securing the permanent gig. My point though is that a coach - any coach - can’t do or achieve more than his or her players are capable of at a particular moment in time, and relative to Bolts imo Teaguey has benefited from coming to the helm at a time when our list rebuild was much closer to taking off, for which Brendon can take a significant slice of the credit in my view.

By way of analogy, I suppose I see the coach as being dealt a series of hands at given moments in time, and his or her job is then to play those hands as best they can, in order to extract the maximum amount of value out of the cards available to them. Over time, I see the hands being dealt to the Blues coach as getting progressively stronger, as the rebuild has gathered pace (both off and on the field). Did Bolts stuff up a few hands, and lose his way somewhat, towards the end of his tenure? Evidently so, and like many other posters on here I argued as much over the last month or two leading up to his dismissal, when in my view his position became untenable. Has Teaguey played his hands to date brilliantly well? Absolutely, I would say, and if he continues to do so in 2020 then finals next year are definitely not out of the question imo.

All coaches CAN do is get the best out of the players they have got - good coaches can do that and not so good coaches can't or don't. Speaking for myself I continue to be amazed at how much more Teague has been able to get out of the as you say' hand he has been deal't than Bolton was able to. Chalk and Cheese so to speak.

Has he made them more talented? No, but he has made adjustments to the way they play and positional changes, game plan and simplified their roles. This is what I have read and have seen watching them play. If you have more information to inside news, I'm happy to hear it.

to add to what I have said above: Well making players 'more talented' is an interesting criteria you've set up - I can't really measure 'talent'. All I can see and measure is team performance across a range of measures - not only W/L - this is better coaching -these results don't "just happen" as a matter of course -which is why I am also not a buyer of the Bolton developed the players and Teague got lucky with timing view.

I think same list same players same injuries under Teague we would be pushing finals this year - that is what the stats show me. markedly different to pushing for another spoon under Bolton's control and again, I say this with a lot of amazement tbh - I didn't think a coach change could achieve so much so quickly - well passed the so called 'new coach bounce' phenomenon.

Anyway what I like about the situation is that we don't have to go through the new coach new game plan it will take some time cycle - again. What I initially thought was going to be a bad decision by the Club - reaching for some new coach like Scott or Lyon or Roos and Voss or whoever else - has worked out a treat - so far. We've got positive and meaningful momentum going into the pre-season and a bunch of positives to look forward to.

Last edited:
All coaches CAN do is get the best out of the players they have got - good coaches can do that and not so good coaches can't or don't. Speaking for myself I continue to be amazed at how much more Teague has been able to get out of the as you say' hand he has been deal't than Bolton was able to. Chalk and Cheese so to speak.

to add to what I have said above: Well making players 'more talented' is an interesting criteria you've set up - I can't really measure 'talent'. All I can see and measure is team performance across a range of measures - not only W/L - this is better coaching -these results don't "just happen" as a matter of course -which is why I am also not a buyer of the Bolton developed the players and Teague got lucky with timing view.

I think same list same players same injuries under Teague we would be pushing finals this year - that is what the stats show me. markedly different to pushing for another spoon under Bolton's control and again, I say this with a lot of amazement tbh - I didn't think a coach change could achieve so much so quickly - well passed the so called 'new coach bounce' phenomenon.

Anyway what I like about the situation is that we don't have to go through the new coach new game plan it will take some time cycle - again. What I initially thought was going to be a bad decision by the Club - reaching for some new coach like Scott or Lyon or Roos and Voss or whoever else - has worked out a treat - so far. We've got positive and meaningful momentum going into the pre-season and a bunch of positives to look forward to.

I love what Teague has done, opening up a more aggressive attacking style

Although people need to look deeper as to the contrast in setups which is major factor to the steep rise

A good starting point would be Billy Bob65 frequency stats

Although people need to look deeper as to the contrast in setups which is major factor to the steep rise

ONE more developed classy mid with SIZE required to make Carlton a formidable midfield with adequate rotation and flexibility for in game match-up changes Much easier to develop Walsh/Stocker/Setterfield/Kennedy/Dow etc if they are rotated through for impact instead of having to do too much heavy lifting - against the top sides especially - right now balance is too much on Murph/Cripps/Ed and we lose a lot of momentum when 2 of these are resting...

Can't wait to see Stocker played around contests and Dow with a few more kilos on him.

The change in offensive mindset is clear to see isn't it? Mids being patient and lowering eyes going in - the hopeful long bombs have dried up, forward leading patterns noticeably different - more front of goal than deep in the pockets. Also more cohesive - some repeat and dummy leads which we haven't seen in eons, all of a sudden we have little pockets of space opening up, a better executed forward press...and he's doing it all with half a forward line.

The change in offensive mindset is clear to see isn't it? Mids being patient and lowering eyes going in - the hopeful long bombs have dried up, forward leading patterns noticeably different - more front of goal than deep in the pockets. Also more cohesive - some repeat and dummy leads which we haven't seen in eons, all of a sudden we have little pockets of space opening up, a better executed forward press...and he's doing it all with half a forward line.

What you highlighted is true, yet they are the flow on effects from opening up a more attacking style and playing more senior bodies on pivotal roles Muphy, Ed, Gibbons and the way Levi is being used

As we saw with WC and the Tigers, bombing long either into the forward 50 and or from defensive 50 to the wing, will still occur, as it does with all sides under pressure

Teague will have his challenges next year, not so much with tinkering the gameplan and tactics, but when and how he transitions those young players into prime roles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

304.jpg

Was googling (amongst other things) Richmond scarves being thrown at the Monash Freeway after a loss at VFL Park (don't ask) when I stumbled upon these two gorgeous VFL Carlton membership cards from 1938 and 1940 at a now lapsed auction.

Would sell all my working organs for money to buy the 1938 one. I am bit of a year-old time historical fan myself, but you can't tell me what a beautiful piece of work it was for something produced over 80 years ago.

what's beautiful about it - just a worn monogrammed piece of card with holes punched through it - first membership card I ever got they were still punching holes in at the gate.........

now this is old........

Members1874TicketPic.jpg

what's beautiful about it - just a worn monogrammed piece of card with holes punched through it - first membership card I ever got they were still punching holes in at the gate.........

now this is old........

Members1874TicketPic.jpg

When people said you have been around a long time, I didn't believe them, until now 🙂🙂🙂

When people said you have been around a long time, I didn't believe them, until now 🙂🙂🙂
He has still got the first pound note he earned.

That was a months wages in those days

Best of luck to our Dennis as his barnstorming Sharks look to book a fairytale place in the Eastern Footy League Division One Grand final against Croydon in Boronia this afternoon.

I would have liked to have gone if wasn't for my pesky gout.

What a terrific coach Army has turned out to be.

images

Best of luck to our Dennis as his barnstorming Sharks look to book a fairytale place in the Eastern Footy League Division One Grand final against Croydon in Boronia this afternoon.

I would have liked to have gone if wasn't for my pesky gout.

What a terrific coach Army has turned out to be.

images

Gee I hope the boys get up today love to see them go back to back with the menace’s first year as captain coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back