"The Carlton Way" a 5 year plan 2019-2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Kind of struggle with statements like this. On the one hand it’s nice to get confirmation that there is some sort of vision and statement about Carlton’s goals going forward. On the other hand this will be used as fodder every time we have a bad form slump over the next five years. Is it worth having it thrown back at us as an easy touchstone for the media if or when we’re still not winning a lot of games/developing say next year? Just so we can put out a nice glossy booklet/PR exercise (and to me that’s all this is) to get people excited before the season? I’m going to get sick of hearing about this much like the 100 points thing. Much like the ultra-defensive game plan thing. I automatically thought about the blueprint we realeased in ‘11? I don’t think these statements are a useful exercise but that’s just me.
I know what you mean but a business (or similar entity) needs plans to set goals and in the interest of transparency and accountability, they have to be made public. If they weren't, the club would be accused of having no plan or being unnecessarily cagey. Can't win either way I guess.

I do like that the vast majority of items on the plan are focussed on off-field endeavours. Every club is wanting to win premierships. I don't think they are worthwhile goals to put in these plans.

I'm proud of the way the club is progressing, excited about our future and very happy with this document.

It shows clear direction and the recent changes have given me hope that these goals are achievable.

It's easy to be jaded by the past and take pot shots at the bold statements we have released.

I am going to take this in the spirit that it was intended and believe our club is headed in the right direction.

Mark LoGiudice: [the band leader] This is the band Radical Posture, and my name is Alexei Yuri Gagarin Siege of Stalingrad Glorious Five-Year Plan Sputnik Pravda Moscow Dynamo Back Four Balowski. Me Dad was a bit of a Communist, know what I mean?

I can't work like this.

thylacine60!

Would rather see them demolish the Gardiner Stand to the north, rather than demolish the useful Pratt Stand to the South
Yep let’s take out the southern stand....you know the one that provides protection from the prevailing winds, known as Southerlies!!!!
Commonsense isn’t to common

Kind of struggle with statements like this. On the one hand it’s nice to get confirmation that there is some sort of vision and statement about Carlton’s goals going forward. On the other hand this will be used as fodder every time we have a bad form slump over the next five years. Is it worth having it thrown back at us as an easy touchstone for the media if or when we’re still not winning a lot of games/developing say next year? Just so we can put out a nice glossy booklet/PR exercise (and to me that’s all this is) to get people excited before the season? I’m going to get sick of hearing about this much like the 100 points thing. Much like the ultra-defensive game plan thing. I automatically thought about the blueprint we realeased in ‘11? I don’t think these statements are a useful exercise but that’s just me.
Or you could be positive, excited, and expect the best rather than the worst.

Mark LoGiudice: [the band leader] This is the band Radical Posture, and my name is Alexei Yuri Gagarin Siege of Stalingrad Glorious Five-Year Plan Sputnik Pravda Moscow Dynamo Back Four Balowski. Me Dad was a bit of a Communist, know what I mean?
We serve Garribaldis and Trotsky assorted at the AGM....

From a club perspective, board/admin/members we have a clear path to what the objectives are and how we can measure against their performance.

Some big statements there, 100k members is the eye opener for me!! And if I was an editor of a paper what I’d be writing about, every club is in it to win premierships that’s obvious column fodder!!

That’s an ambitious target, but if met makes a lot of the other objectives extremely likely to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what people are saying in that they have seen it all before. I am trying to be a glass half full person here, and trust that the club is trying to be transparent and engaging the members in the process. Maybe it will come to fruition and maybe it won't. I kinda like a lot of the goals and hope we do meet them, especially the on field success. The 100,000 members part is exciting too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope this plan goes well for you guys, I really do. I know what it is like to be a s**t team for a prolonged period of time and I honestly only wish that upon Essendon supporters!

Your CEO is great at taking a business model from private industry and implementing it at an AFL level. He did it at Richmond, ******* his previous business over and he is doing it again. Now before you get stuck into me,hear me out.

There is NOTHING wrong with taking previous experience at an old work environment and successfully implementing it at a new workplace. But it works once, not twice. I have grave concerns he screwed his previous employers over when he moved to Richmond. Now he is implementing the same plan again and it may well work. If it does well done guys. But my concern is that he is following a certain formula rather than being an innovator. Sometimes you do not need to reinvent the wheel, no doubt. But if you invent the same wheel time after time it gets found out!

I hope this plan goes well for you guys, I really do. I know what it is like to be a s**t team for a prolonged period of time and I honestly only wish that upon Essendon supporters!

Your CEO is great at taking a business model from private industry and implementing it at an AFL level. He did it at Richmond, ******* his previous business over and he is doing it again. Now before you get stuck into me,hear me out.

There is NOTHING wrong with taking previous experience at an old work environment and successfully implementing it at a new workplace. But it works once, not twice. I have grave concerns he screwed his previous employers over when he moved to Richmond. Now he is implementing the same plan again and it may well work. If it does well done guys. But my concern is that he is following a certain formula rather than being an innovator. Sometimes you do not need to reinvent the wheel, no doubt. But if you invent the same wheel time after time it gets found out!
What ever happened to if it ain’t broke don’t fix it...

So what did he do with his previous employers ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back