Play Nice The CAS Appeal thread - update: appeal fails (11/10/16)

Remove this Banner Ad

November 15? The AFL is truly embarrassing themselves with their inaction. The decision should and could have been made within the hour (five minutes would suffice for most but clearly these dimwits need time to process all the big words).
They want to avoid making a decision. The time is to give Watson space to come and hand back the medal and save AFL any embarrassment

Well this just confirms what we already have known for a while, they are a drug cheating club, who have disgraced themselves and our game.

Nah they didnt disgrace the game. Just themselves. And the AFL Commission has disgraced itself by saying there is no further punishment.

They let Essendon get away with being drug cheats. I bet at least a few Commissioners would be unhappy with that.

Im no lawyer, but wouldn't an appeal to the human rights court have to involve a violation of human rights?

I'm not sure "overpaid sportsmen choose to get injected with PEDs" fits the bill

Based on previous cases it be they did not get a fair trial ..

Which is one of the rights...

So the AFL can avoid making a decision and taking responsibility for it.

Exactly. Why should Mitchell and Cotchin be put in an even more awkward position?
This is 100% the Essendon players fault for drug cheating. Strip their awards and get on with it.

Again, if Essendon didn't pay the players they would be harshly criticised and deservedly so. This is undeniable.

People are having their cake and eating it too.
Leaving aside the emotion of it all, it is not undeniable.

They were only paid 'because of the optics', normally a suspension would be without pay.

If i was suspended from work for violating my terms of employment I'd not expect to be paid for that period.

There is a murkiness around admission of guilt and proportion of responsibility that allowed the club to pay players.

Leaving aside the emotion of it all, it is not undeniable.

They were only paid 'because of the optics', normally a suspension would be without pay.

If i was suspended from work for violating my terms of employment I'd not expect to be paid for that period.

There is a murkiness around admission of guilt and proportion of responsibility that allowed the club to pay players.
Bullshit.

If Essendon hadn't paid the players in 2016, people in here would be crowing from the rooftops about how they weren't taking responsibility for their part in the mess and how they had abandoned the players.

Bullshit.

If Essendon hadn't paid the players in 2016, people in here would be crowing from the rooftops about how they weren't taking responsibility for their part in the mess and how they had abandoned the players.

People on here probably would because message boards bring out the worst in people. Personally I thought then and continue to think it now that paying them and supporting the final procedural appeal looked far worse.

Agree to disagree.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Essendon have already ****ed these players over, why would we care (or notice) if they did it again.

Bullshit.

Essendon have already stuffed these players over, why would we care (or notice) if they did it again.
Hahahaha....oh, you're actually serious?

People lost their s**t when Dyson Heppell dared to appear on 360 this year for *s sake. People have managed to work themselves up into a lather about anything and everything imaginable in this saga, in case you haven't noticed.

So yes, you can absolutely guarantee that there would have been uproar and noise left, right and centre had Essendon not paid the players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahahaha....oh, you're actually serious?

People lost their s**t when Dyson Heppell dared to appear on 360 this year for ****s sake. People have managed to work themselves up into a lather about anything and everything imaginable in this saga, in case you haven't noticed.

So yes, you can absolutely guarantee that there would have been uproar and noise left, right and centre had Essendon not paid the players.
you bet there would have been, because most thought the players were duped by the EFC.
Not now though, the evidence is there for all to see.

Needs to be lodged within 6 months.

If accepted (most are not) could take a while.

Claudia Peschtein after her 2009 case lodged an appeal, we still waiting for the outcome.

Did James and Tania take up French citizenship on their year off?

Say the argument for a hearing was "we were denied natural human rights because our final appeal was heard under Swiss law, not Australian law, and we weren't even asked to nominate a favourable jurisdiction. Disgraceful. We get better 'legal services' from institutions on Swanston St ".

To which you might reply "did you ever think the W in WADA might mean the same rules apply for final appeals for everyone regardless of national origin? Or shall we go ask Putin's cronies for his opinion of your case too?"

So, Essendon / the players went to the court in Australia to say they were denied natural justice because they weren't given the right to silence.

The court said that they had agreed to the process through their lawyers, so they were not denied natural justice. They should have protested at the time. Case closed.

James went back for a second helping. Same result, with the amusing addition of his lawyers appealing something that hadn't even been raised in the first hearing.

Then they went to CAS saying that they hadn't wanted a de novo hearing. Swiss Court says they should have said that at the time, but didn't. (And even if they had, bad luck.)

What is the appeal to the court of human rights going to be? That it should have been held in Australia, even though they agreed to the process that just happened in Switzerland?

Why the actual **** would Mitchell and Cotchin have to make a case?
Umm, how about this: we polled the most votes if you don't count the bloke who played the season on prohibited peds and has since been up suspended for it after being condemned as a liar and a cheat in an international court...

Case closed.

You would think the afl could ha e worked it out for themselves.

Hooray for Sam Mitchell having enough dignity to tell them to piss off.

This whole situation is absolute bullshit and the lies, propaganda, and corruption going on in the AFL, AFL Media, and Essendon is enough to make hundreds of thousands lose respect for the product.

Seriously, don't accept these drug cheats as brace heroes and allow them to preserve their image.

Jobe took PEDS, hid his drug taking from drug testers, then refused to hand back the Brownlow after the AFL pressured him to "voluntarily" do so (in other words: you're losing it anyway so show some class).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back