Analysis The Case for a Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

if you want to have a discussion about Ess, im more than happy to.

But for the record, ive said all along Essendon's first round pick should've gone straight to the end of the round. Not pick 1.
A lot of people agree with that although I think the AFL was worried about the sanctions having the Blues effect.
They wanted the Bomber back sooner they later, the big clubs they always want up near the 8 to contest for TV ratings.
If your not the big clubs and your out of Vic and won 3 in a row you can rot for a while :)

I say AFL be more focused on moving the Suns up the ladder then the Lions.

I think you are right. I think you should've been playing him in the guts and letting him get his 40 touches per week and let someone else come in and offering him a contract that may have netted you round 1 compo.
Unfortunately, i dont think his body has enabled him to. After the shoulder dislocation earlier in the year.
But it has allowed others to go in and develop their games in that area of the ground. Which will be good for the long term benefit of the team.
My opinion on the priority pick is that we will not get one anyway. But i think it is worth asking the question. As i am sure Essendon would after being on the bottom for as long as we have.

I say AFL be more focused on moving the Suns up the ladder then the Lions.

i think they'll want both QLD to do well. But, the thing that gets lost in the PP arguments is that by giving out such picks we are essentially punishing the sides that select afterwards. I don't think that is right. Im against the idea of "compo picks" as well for this reason. We shouldn't be making up picks out of nowhere.

I think the Lions are miles ahead of the Suns at this point. Your off-field appointments last yr as well as your on-field team decisions were all pretty much spot on. Re-signing Schace another positive.

I agree the rules are very Victoria-centric. I think its a disgrace that players can come out of contract after 2yrs and demand to move clubs. I'd like to see a system similar to the NBA come in. I'm all for FA, when the player qualifies for it, but the teams under the current system have lost too much leverage.

yes, its a while off. just like its a while off for lots of teams. a good team is earnt and built, not gifted. unlike many other teams, lions have a promising future.

No doubt...not sure what you mean by gifted though....It is acceptable by the AFL for Victorian teams to be gifted...example..take Mr Silvagni, who had the role of list manager at GWS before returning to Carlton as list manager in 2015, notably gifted with inside knowledge in recruiting nine former GWS players to Carlton in his three years there..so I think we might be entitled to apply for a PP...

A Brisbane Lions pick 1 isnt an Essendon Pick 1 as there are a lot of players we cant go near for the fact that they will go home. We do not pick city kids from interstate if it can be helped etc. Why nobody discusses this problem but continually the legup of Academies is very short sighted.

No doubt...not sure what you mean by gifted though....It is acceptable by the AFL for Victorian teams to be gifted...example..take Mr Silvagni, who had the role of list manager at GWS before returning to Carlton as list manager in 2015, notably gifted with inside knowledge in recruiting nine former GWS players to Carlton in his three years there..so I think we might be entitled to apply for a PP...

of course you are entitled to apply for one. my argument is against the notion that you are entitled to one.

there is no point in bringing up the old examples of PP, the rules regarding handing them out have clearly changed.

of course you are entitled to apply for one. my argument is against the notion that you are entitled to one.

there is no point in bringing up the old examples of PP, the rules regarding handing them out have clearly changed.

I didn't......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was referring to the opening post in this thread.

Dude 90 percent of Lions posters in here appear to be against us applying for a pick. What's to gain from banging on about it with a couple of posters. Your point has been made several times over. Might be time to just let us Lions peeps have at it now.

We're a bit tired of opposition supporters telling us where we are at.

Feels kind of weird to be discussing this. The club has been so bullish the entire season about how we're on the right path, and yet it still sounds like we're intending to go hat in hand to the AFL and ask for a hand-out. The last time we played the "poor us" card was when Leppa started having a decent rant about the lack of support and facilities... and was then given the boot a couple of weeks later.

We really are virtually zero chance of getting a PP this year. I suppose we could ask but we won't get one.

We really are virtually zero chance of getting a PP this year. I suppose we could ask but we won't get one.

I've come around to the view that even though we can/could mount an excellent case for one, we're just not going to get one.

So why bother asking.

Arguably it just damages the narrative we've been building that we are on the rise and will be a force to be reckoned with later, if not sooner.

I've come around to the view that even though we can/could mount an excellent case for one, we're just not going to get one.

So why bother asking.

Arguably it just damages the narrative we've been building that we are on the rise and will be a force to be reckoned with later, if not sooner.
Yes but that is just rhetoric, we are still last and for all intents and purposes were last in 2016. We have fixed many issues and for us to bounce back we need as much quality as we can get.

There is a layer of players that just aren't cutting it, we need to accelerate the turnover this year and then stabilise

Dude 90 percent of Lions posters in here appear to be against us applying for a pick. What's to gain from banging on about it with a couple of posters. Your point has been made several times over. Might be time to just let us Lions peeps have at it now.

We're a bit tired of opposition supporters telling us where we are at.

I wasn't minding our little chat....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back