Opinion The case for Harves

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard through the grapevine last night that Harvey has put his hand up if a job comes up.
i had really really strong intel last year that Harves was basically a lock to come back this year to the saints but nothing eventuated ... it was very odd as the intel seemed to be very good from a super reliable source that i would normally never get any info out of so i was pretty convinced it was happening ... but alas Harves continued at Collingwood ... it is blatantly obvious Harves wants to be back at Moorabbin the question is would he come back for a third stint as an assistant ? i dont think he would it would have to be for the senior position

i had really really strong intel last year that Harves was basically a lock to come back this year to the saints but nothing eventuated ... it was very odd as the intel seemed to be very good from a super reliable source that i would normally never get any info out of so i was pretty convinced it was happening ... but alas Harves continued at Collingwood ... it is blatantly obvious Harves wants to be back at Moorabbin the question is would he come back for a third stint as an assistant ? i dont think he would it would have to be for the senior position

Not sure if he wants an assistant job with us, just the main gig, who knows he might come home for the right $$$ and position offer.

Not sure if he wants an assistant job with us, just the main gig, who knows he might come home for the right $$$ and position offer.
for me him coming back as an assistant would be like a battered wife going back to the deadbeat husband ... i dont think money comes into it (lets face it any assistant role harves is going to get payed well) it would be only the emotional connection to the club ..
perfect world i would love to have Harves as coach and Ratts as senior assistant keep Lade and scrotumback and bring in some freshly retired assistants like Roughy...

for me him coming back as an assistant would be like a battered wife going back to the deadbeat husband ... i dont think money comes into it (lets face it any assistant role harves is going to get payed well) it would be only the emotional connection to the club ..
perfect world i would love to have Harves as coach and Ratts as senior assistant keep Lade and scrotumback and bring in some freshly retired assistants like Roughy...

Hes got a job and a team that are right up there, i dont think he would come back for the same position and a rabble.

Watched him on AFL Tonight. Love Harves, but he didn't come across as particularly confident or articulate. Probably just nerves but i can't help but wonder if he doesn't present all that well in interviews.

Why is it blatantly obvious that he wants to come back?

Watched him on AFL Tonight. Love Harves, but he didn't come across as particularly confident or articulate. Probably just nerves but i can't help but wonder if he doesn't present all that well in interviews.
That's not nerves. He just is shy and doesn't communicate well with the public and media.

If it's between Ratten and Harvey I'd lean to Harvey. Has been in the system for 10 years. For all we know he could be a gun coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give it a rest.

You do know there are specific puic speaking coures available?
Yes, many experts are available

10dw274.jpg

Give it a rest.

You do know there are specific puic speaking coures available?

I’m also bemused by the fact that many think a coach also has to be an excellent public speaker.
The most important thing he needs to be able to do really well is communicate with his players.

I’m also bemused by the fact that many think a coach also has to be an excellent public speaker.
The most important thing he needs to be able to do really well is communicate with his players.

FWIW that wasn't my point at all. I'm just wandering if he gets nervous in interviews and doesn't present all that well, which could be one reason he hasn't been able to land a senior gig. I'm in no way casting doubts on his ability to coach... truth is i have no idea how he would go.

FWIW that wasn't my point at all. I'm just wandering if he gets nervous in interviews and doesn't present all that well, which could be one reason he hasn't been able to land a senior gig. I'm in no way casting doubts on his ability to coach... truth is i have no idea how he would go.
Wasn't you.

Wasn’t replying to you specifically, just the general comments posted on this thread that he appears to be very shy and not terribly well spoken or inspirational.

I would imagine that the more interviews anyone does the more comfortable you would feel in front of the media, but it’s not necessarily a selling point to be a good coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back