Opinion The case for Harves

Remove this Banner Ad

What was so wrong with his media skills?

I bet if we were playing finals, there wouldn't be an issue.

Personally never worried me. I think people can get hyper critical. They may not have rated his coaching, but I thought he was fine, if a little bland, on AFL 360. Not everyone is a showman.

Wasn’t replying to you specifically, just the general comments posted on this thread that he appears to be very shy and not terribly well spoken or inspirational.

I would imagine that the more interviews anyone does the more comfortable you would feel in front of the media, but it’s not necessarily a selling point to be a good coach.

Personally i'd love to see him get a senior gig at some stage. The man is a champion in my eyes.

When i saw him interviewed the other night it just got me wondering if the way he presents is holding him back from being chosen as a senior coach (if in fact he does come across as nervous/reserved in interviews)... it might not be, but if it is, i hope he can improve in that area to give himself the best chance. It's obviously what he wants to do.

I think it would have zero affect on his ability to coach.. but it might be a stumbling block on him landing the gig.

Personally i'd love to see him get a senior gig at some stage. The man is a champion in my eyes.

When i saw him interviewed the other night it just got me wondering if the way he presents is holding him back from being chosen as a senior coach (if in fact he does come across as nervous/reserved in interviews)... it might not be, but if it is, i hope he can improve in that area to give himself the best chance. It's obviously what he wants to do.

I think it would have zero affect on his ability to coach.. but it might be a stumbling block on him landing the gig.

Absolutely no question about your first point, probably a little part of the reason I am are skittish about hiring him. You just know that at some stage it’ll not end well ( like 99% of coaches) and he’ll be sacked and I would hate it to destroy the relationship.

On the other hand, he’s a big boy now, and if he’s willing to risk it, and he proves to be the best man for the job then go for it.

I understand your last point - hopefully the people that appoint coaches look at his coaching and interpersonal skills and not his oratory ones.

Does anyone know if he’s actually applied for any jobs after initially putting his hand up for ours previously?

Does anyone know if he’s actually applied for any jobs after initially putting his hand up for ours previously?

In the media hes quoted as saying he would put his hand up for any senior coaching jobs that become available.

lol 🤣
Richo is the devil hysteria! Makes a good album title! :japanesegoblin:

Hardly! Thankfully i'm sure the man himself is made of sterner stuff than some of the
Don't ruin my day apologists that seem to get their knickers in a knot whenever anyone
Has the nerve to state the obvious! 😒

I suggest you go back to your little stat book and comfort yourself with those reassuring numbers! 🤓

Richo's not the devil. Lethlean is. The reason I labelled him Satan was that I saw him getting changed in the gym one day after a work out. He is goat like from the waist down, complete with goaty legs and cloven hooves. He has small horns on his head, which he coneals with a very realistic toupee. He literally is the devil!

Glad we cleared that up. Richo hasn't got the type of personality that is suited to being the Prince of Darkness, nor an AFL coach, according to Satan himself.

FWIW that wasn't my point at all. I'm just wandering if he gets nervous in interviews and doesn't present all that well, which could be one reason he hasn't been able to land a senior gig. I'm in no way casting doubts on his ability to coach... truth is i have no idea how he would go.
unable to land a senior gig ... thats an iteresting point .. how many gigs has Harvey applied for ? i can only ever recall him putting his hat into the ring for the Saints coaching role ... he wants to coach St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back