Opinion The case for Harves

Remove this Banner Ad

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
when you talk about past heros coming back the talk of Voss and Hird comes up but we also forget the likes of Worsfold who as a past legend became highly successful coaching his team .. Ratten in hinesite was doing a remarkable job with a pretty dud organisation who wanted to skip the process and bring in a big name to get them up and about ... two of our top three coaches success wise were fromer players for our club Jeans and GT so appointing Harves to me doesnt worry me as such ... i note harves is going to be on the Front Bar this week , the only knock on harves is he isnt the media darling who looks comfortable being interviewed i guess thats something he has been working on and i guess seeing how he go's on that show will hold some weight in the consideration if he is ready for that next step.. credential wise he has every box ticked and i think there certainly will be a marketability of him as coach (he may see a huge surge in membership as our coach) , also i feel there are a few blokes in our team with his influence who will improve in spades with him in charge ...
Respected
Competent
Popular

i dont see why he wouldnt be high on the list of potentials ... he even has a good relationship with Ratten so that could continue ....

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
when you talk about past heros coming back the talk of Voss and Hird comes up but we also forget the likes of Worsfold who as a past legend became highly successful coaching his team .. Ratten in hinesite was doing a remarkable job with a pretty dud organisation who wanted to skip the process and bring in a big name to get them up and about ... two of our top three coaches success wise were fromer players for our club Jeans and GT so appointing Harves to me doesnt worry me as such ... i note harves is going to be on the Front Bar this week , the only knock on harves is he isnt the media darling who looks comfortable being interviewed i guess thats something he has been working on and i guess seeing how he go's on that show will hold some weight in the consideration if he is ready for that next step.. credential wise he has every box ticked and i think there certainly will be a marketability of him as coach (he may see a huge surge in membership as our coach) , also i feel there are a few blokes in our team with his influence who will improve in spades with him in charge ...
Respected
Competent
Popular

i dont see why he wouldnt be high on the list of potentials ... he even has a good relationship with Ratten so that could continue ....
If we kept Ratten as a wise old head, then I see no problem TBH.

The Filth

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just like Watters?

When did you take him back?

Just like you spat out Malthouse straight after a flag?
Watters went back to WA. He was a Malthouse man anyway.

I was referring to spitting out assistants made senior coaches - Malthouse wasn't an assistant...and we didn't 'spit him out', he was offered the director of coaching job but changed his mind.

Richardson wes director of coaching at Port. Was development manager at Collingwood in the early 2000's and helped develop players such as Pendlebury.
Would take him back in a similar role in a heartbeat.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watters went back to WA. He was a Malthouse man anyway.

I was referring to spitting out assistants made senior coaches - Malthouse wasn't an assistant...and we didn't 'spit him out', he was offered the director of coaching job but changed his mind.

Richardson wes director of coaching at Port. Was development manager at Collingwood in the early 2000's and helped develop players such as Pendlebury.
Would take him back in a similar role in a heartbeat.
He's all yours... Where do i drop him off?

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
i note harves is going to be on the Front Bar this week , the only knock on harves is he isnt the media darling who looks comfortable being interviewed i guess thats something he has been working on and i guess seeing how he go's on that show will hold some weight in the consideration if he is ready for that next step.

The timing of his appearance is telling imo. A guy who rarely does media, going on the biggest footy show on tv. And on a week where the spotlight is well and truly on Richo. Smells to me like someone is putting his hand up publicly, "Hey fellas, if there's an opening, I'm ready and I want the job!"

I reckon Banger harbours the ambition to return home to his club and lead us to the holy grail.

Might be time to bring him.home and fulfil the prophecy that the great man Barks was cruelly denied.

Now there's a story you can sell to the supporters!
2jfysnl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Did anyone else see Banger on the Front Bar? I didn't think he boosted his chances of getting a senior gig with that performance. I know it's only a football show, but his answers were vague, responses rambling, and the umms are already as annoying as Cho's pleasing and positive.

He seemed quite inarticulate, making Cho sound like Bill Clinton as an orator. Communication is such an important part of the top coaching job. I hope he's better in front of the players. That performance was sleep inducing.

The Filth

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why are you here arguing?
Not arguing. Just amending the record.
Apart from the Pies winning the next thing I would love to see in AFL is for the Saints to be successful and finally break their hoodoo.
Especially for my disabled niece who is a rabid Saints fan and has had severe health problems over the years.
I would dearly love to see her witness a Saints flag.
Just hoping the next coach (assuming Richo is gone) is the right choice and can deliver.
Watters and Richo are both fine individuals and actually good coaches. There are a myriad of reasons as to their lack of success.
Saints need rejuvination from the top down - preferably an experienced senior coach in charge. Richo would be a great manager of your football department under a re-structure if he were prepared to stay on in some capacity, same as he was at Port.
All the beat.:thumbsu:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Did anyone else see Banger on the Front Bar? I didn't think he boosted his chances of getting a senior gig with that performance. I know it's only a football show, but his answers were vague, responses rambling, and the umms are already as annoying as Cho's pleasing and positive.

He seemed quite inarticulate, making Cho sound like Bill Clinton as an orator. Communication is such an important part of the top coaching job. I hope he's better in front of the players. That performance was sleep inducing.
Just get him to have his face tattooed with freckles and he's good to go...

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not arguing. Just amending the record.
Apart from the Pies winning the next thing I would love to see in AFL is for the Saints to be successful and finally break their hoodoo.
Especially for my disabled niece who is a rabid Saints fan and has had severe health problems over the years.
I would dearly love to see her witness a Saints flag.
Just hoping the next coach (assuming Richo is gone) is the right choice and can deliver.
Watters and Richo are both fine individuals and actually good coaches. There are a myriad of reasons as to their lack of success.
Saints need rejuvination from the top down - preferably an experienced senior coach in charge. Richo would be a great manager of your football department under a re-structure if he were prepared to stay on in some capacity.
All the beat.:thumbsu:
I'll give you Richo, but Watters?

Are you related to him?

You might want to have this conversation with people employed at the club during his tenure.

The Filth

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2009
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll give you Richo, but Watters?

Are you related to him?

You might want to have this conversation with people employed at the club during his tenure.
Not related - through a mate I know people who worked with Watters at Subiaco though.
I understand he was frustrated at the Saints and was an angry elf. Probably not at his best.

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
The timing of his appearance is telling imo. A guy who rarely does media, going on the biggest footy show on tv. And on a week where the spotlight is well and truly on Richo. Smells to me like someone is putting his hand up publicly, "Hey fellas, if there's an opening, I'm ready and I want the job!"
Exactly what he said . But he is always so awkward when being probed by the media I just don’t think he is made for the scrutiny of daily media appearances and communicating outwardly . He is so reserved .

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
I reckon Banger harbours the ambition to return home to his club and lead us to the holy grail.

Might be time to bring him.home and fulfil the prophecy that the great man Barks was cruelly denied.

Now there's a story you can sell to the supporters!
I think he would be best served with a coaching advisor or general manager like someone suggested who was the mouth piece and face and he coached .
He does speak terribly

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda

I’d looked forward all week to watch that but he was terrible . Nervous with no spark of personality at all

I couldve told you that years ago. he is not a speaker and cannot communicate in public. For me its cringeworthy.

I’d looked forward all week to watch that but he was terrible . Nervous with no spark of personality at all
thats what i said on the other page. he would make a terrible head coach just becuase he cou;ldn't speak to the public very well.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
What was harves position at that time, i can't remember
he was senior midfield coach and also had stepped up to be the interim coach for our trade period .. from what i hear he was not given the top job as they felt his experiance wasnt quite there with successful clubs hence he left to go to collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back