Opinion The case for Harves

he was senior midfield coach and also had stepped up to be the interim coach for our trade period .. from what i hear he was not given the top job as they felt his experiance wasnt quite there with successful clubs hence he left to go to collingwood

He was never a senior assistant at St Kilda or Carlton only at Collingwood.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
look im not fussed about the media side of it ... thats something that over time develops so im sure that he would get much better at it.. the thing for me is that when he was rejected for the top job for Watters it wasnt because his media performances were not as good as Scotts it was because his experiance to that point was a short stint at Carlton and a short stint with us , he had 3 years coaching experiance under his belt and wasnt really ready for the role.. i reckon making him coach at that point would have been the Voss apointment multiplied .. no experiance, poor media skills and the team heading for bottom 4 for a extended stint it would have destroyed his career befor it started.. now he has 10 years experiance as an assistant , he has been at a club that has played off in a g/f and been in an envorinment where player development from good prospects to outright stars has been strong ... where Harves is at today and where he was last time is a long way from each other he still needs to work on his media stuff but thats easy enough to fix i think at this moment in time it is the perfect time for him to have his shot ... we need something to sell hope to the members again and the whole "plan" idea isnt going to cut it this time... the core of our team is almost there to be competitive so he isnt walking into a basket case but walking into a flawed team that needs some tweeking ...

look i hope the team get on a streak and win the next 9 games and make finals and Richo proves his distractors wrong.. but after last week and when we see how the team respond to that performance last week this week the drums may be beating to the right tune that its time to move Richo on , if so i would think Harvey would be a fantastic replacment ... 1000x better than us chasing Brad Scott

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’d looked forward all week to watch that but he was terrible . Nervous with no spark of personality at all
to be fair unless you are the same sort of personality being on the bar with Molloy and Pang can be hard work... Bangers isnt a type to be the joker of the group so to try and be funny on TV with those guys would be a bit nerve racking also i think he was being very mindful of not saying anything that could bite him later on.. compared to other guests on the show who dont have an AFL involvment he needs to think about what he says more than those not in that situation ...
i think he made it clear he wants to coach and i think he made it clear that Moorabbin is where he wants to be ... but he cant exactly come out and say that with 9 rounds anf probable finals for his employer still to come ..

Parkers tatts

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
to be fair unless you are the same sort of personality being on the bar with Molloy and Pang can be hard work... Bangers isnt a type to be the joker of the group so to try and be funny on TV with those guys would be a bit nerve racking also i think he was being very mindful of not saying anything that could bite him later on.. compared to other guests on the show who dont have an AFL involvment he needs to think about what he says more than those not in that situation ...
i think he made it clear he wants to coach and i think he made it clear that Moorabbin is where he wants to be ... but he cant exactly come out and say that with 9 rounds anf probable finals for his employer still to come ..
Nicky winmar was better performed on there . I also thought they didn’t really help him as they were pulling he piss out of him the whole time . I’d love him to coach but still don’t think he’s the guy .

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not related - through a mate I know people who worked with Watters at Subiaco though.
I understand he was frustrated at the Saints and was an angry elf. Probably not at his best.
my impression of Watters was that of a very two faced person ... there is the public persona as the happy go-lucky guy who is a top bloke that he putsout but behind closed doors there is an egotistical, self absorbed self admirer about him that certainly rubs people the wrong way

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nicky winmar was better performed on there . I also thought they didn’t really help him as they were pulling he piss out of him the whole time . I’d love him to coach but still don’t think he’s the guy .
again Winmar only represents Winmar so he can relax a bit and treat it as if hes just talking to mates down the pub ...
Harves is an employee of the biggest footy club in melbourne he needs to be measured on what he says , he needs to toe the company line and on top of that he is coveting a senior role so him coming out and telling stories of how he spud frawley and burkey got on the turps one night and ended up sleeping in the front garden of one of the St Kilda executives doesnt exactly help his chances ....

i think the remarkable things about the interview is how Collingwood was pushed so far back as an after thought ... one question was asked about collingwood the rest was about him and his love of St Kilda ....
the heart bleeds red white and black for harves

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If Harvey had played for any club, I don't think anyone would have him in discussions to be our next senior coach.
So he shouldn't be our next coach.
disagree ....
he holds the highest acredidation you can hold as an assistant ... he has 10 years experiance and he is control of the most formidible midfield group in the AFL ... as far as potential coaches go thats a fair resume ... take away the St Kilda legend status he has done a fantastic job with collingwood and has helped them build a very strong team... for all the fanfare of Ratten and what he did at hawthorn Harves has been every part of that at collingwood just minus the flag wins

"I met with Scott Watters earlier this week and can see why the club appointed him head coach, he is an excellent choice,” Harvey said.

Smart man! Disappointed but didn't burn any bridges! Bring back Banger!

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was really looking forward to watching and hearing from him. Maybe GT was right about him all those years ago. Good assistant but not cut out for the top job.
i will clarify that i dont know GT and ive only been in the rooms during his coaching time once .. but my feel on GT was he was more focused on the younger blokes and fast tracking them to be leaders and the older guys were more there as a support cast ... heck GT did try to retire harvey
i think the most over rated thing is being a strong media performer ... from my own experiance i know its only over time and with a volume of exposure to public speaking does it improve ... over time the ummms and erhhhhs will go away and he will be a more confident talker... in the end his message gets through to the collingwood midfield well enough so it should to our blokes as well

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Watters went back to WA. He was a Malthouse man anyway.

I was referring to spitting out assistants made senior coaches - Malthouse wasn't an assistant...and we didn't 'spit him out', he was offered the director of coaching job but changed his mind.

Richardson wes director of coaching at Port. Was development manager at Collingwood in the early 2000's and helped develop players such as Pendlebury.
Would take him back in a similar role in a heartbeat.
Harvey for Richardson straight swap. Then Bruce for De Goey straight swap. Then Newnes for Sier straight swap.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
I'll never forget Yabbie and Ross doing their double act at the Comedy Festival.

Yabbie: Hey Ross, my dog doesn't eat meat?
Ross: Why not, Yabbie?
Yabbie: I don't give him any! (sprays Ross with a soda bottle)
Ross: Well, Yabbie, my dog doesn't have a nose!
Yabbie: How does he smell, Ross?
Ross: Bloody awful!! (smashes cream pie in Yabbie's face)
Together: Thank you very much. We're here all week. We recommend the veal!

Aah, those were the days! Pure gold!

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'll never forget Yabbie and Ross doing their double act at the Comedy Festival.

Yabbie: Hey Ross, my dog doesn't eat meat?
Ross: Why not, Yabbie?
Yabbie: I don't give him any! (sprays Ross with a soda bottle)
Ross: Well, Yabbie, my dog doesn't have a nose!
Yabbie: How does he smell, Ross?
Ross: Bloody awful!! (smashes cream pie in Yabbie's face)
Together: Thank you very much. We're here all week. We recommend the veal!

Aah, those were the days! Pure gold!
I've still got that show on VHS...

Back