Celebrating our first year of THE MIGHTY THOR

Remove this Banner Ad

Balance is not about throwing the game at times. Its what damage can you do to a player? Sure they are disposable, hell we get 3 new ones in November. But when you invest a lot of time and money you want the best return.

Now the club are closer and they may deem him to be very strong psychologically. I would wait until round 4
I'd bet he's more mentally capable to perform in R1 than a certain 150 gamer

Greenwood has just turned 25.

I have no doubt he will be playing AFL games next year. Hopefully it will be with us.

We are not expected to win the first 2 games (check the odds). We will need hard bodies to stand up against GWS and Hawthorn. People tend to forget that GWS are no longer a bunch of KIDS. They will have an older and more experienced team than us. I would hold back Gallucci and Poholke for a few more weeks but The Mighty Thor is ready to unleash his awesome power.

Just Play Him.

The Mighty Thor certainly had a gold pass against Glenelg last year. Did you venture down to the Bay?

Across the 2 games he had 39 disposals, 15 tackles, 13 marks and 4 goals. Not bad for a forward/mid.

Or we can play Mackay on Sunday since we know what to expect from him.

If you want me to brutally honest pyke will pick players that he believes will win him games and keep him employed

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who would GWS rather see on our team-sheet come Sunday - Greenwood or Menzel? For some reason I think they'd be fearing us adding Menzel to our potent forward-line much more than worrying about Greenwood making his debut. We need to play Menzel.

Greenwood for Mackay is another question - I'd much rather us play Greenwood but unfortunately I think Mackay is a lock for round 1.

Who would GWS rather see on our team-sheet come Sunday - Greenwood or Menzel? For some reason I think they'd be fearing us adding Menzel to our potent forward-line much more than worrying about Greenwood making his debut. We need to play Menzel.

Greenwood for Mackay is another question - I'd much rather us play Greenwood but unfortunately I think Mackay is a lock for round 1.

Do you think Mackay will get picked because Pyke believes we are a better chance of winning with him in the team

Do you think Mackay will get picked because Pyke believes we are a better chance of winning with him in the team

Yes, but I would heavily disagree with Pyke on that thought. If I had the time I'd go back through the JLT games and highlight Mackay's involvements. There were a number of times where Mackay trailing behind his opponent directly led to an opposition goal.

Personally Greenwood would be in my round one team. Apart from all other things mentioned by Jack and Left etc, which i agree with, his ability to get up and down the ground is ridiculously good and fork knows we desperately need mids willing to run forward AND back. That was my specific takeaway from Jlt3 game. I and others can see the skill and proffesionalism is there already, but his gut running is top shelf. Bring on the mighty Thor. PS I hope he grows the hair again.

Yes, but I would heavily disagree with Pyke on that thought. If I had the time I'd go back through the JLT games and highlight Mackay's involvements. There were a number of times where Mackay trailing behind his opponent directly led to an opposition goal.

I don't believe Pyke is that blind or ignorant

Mackay is an 18 to 22 player he may or may not be better than what is available but there isn't a lot of difference between him and his competition it's a matter of preference pyke probably prefers him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would Menzel's name strike fear into anybody? Much less GWS.

Considering where he's come from in 2 years, he's done pretty well and shown enough to persist with. However if you want to go by nab cup form, he shouldn't be in the team.

He still looked out of his depth (though he did improve, which suggests he worth persisting with) imo.

Hampton earned a spot and if anyone didn't quite earn it but needs to just be played, it's Milera. There's only a certain number of those players that you can have in the 22.

I suppose we could lose and not worry about going for a flag

Wait is that we have been doing wrong for 19 years preparing for the future

So what are you arguing? Do you agree with Pyke's philosophy that he should pick the same players like Mackay every week because he thinks it gives us the best chance at winning that week and ensures team continuity? Yes or no?

If so, your posts indicate that you simultaneously seem to think we aren't good enough, particularly through the midfield. So why don't we work on the weaknesses in our midfield to become good enough, rather than picking the same players?

Maybe the fact that we have been conservative at selection for the past 19 years has prevented us from winning a flag, selecting players like Mackay/VB/Reilly because we know their "safe" output (which isn't good enough most of the time), rather than selecting someone else who may be slightly worse in the short term but better in the medium to long term. Not to mention we're doing players a disservice by constantly selecting them when their form does not warrant it, rather than keeping them accountable and ensuring they have to improve aspects of their game.

Imagine giving someone like Wigg a game last year. It could have been against a minnow we would have beaten anyway, like Gold Coast, but in that game we chose to bring van Berlo back, who would play two more mediocre games and then retire at the end of the year, so it was a wasted selection, all because we were too scared to take a risk, no matter how small. What if we had given Wigg a shot? Not only could we have known whether we should have played him instead of, say, an injured Luke Brown at crunch times, but with a taster game or two, he would better know what he needed to work on to make it at senior level, and so he'd also be in a much better position to make a contribution this year when we need big improvement through the middle.

Obviously you need to balance giving opportunities to youngsters and holding under-performing senior players accountable, as it may make them even more conservative in their play if they know they will be dropped for making mistakes, but there's a bigger picture than winning that one week, which I think Pyke forgot last season when he favoured continuity over good form/injury, to our detriment come finals.

I am not sure he deserves a r1 place but frankly if its a replacement to mackay i am all for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back