Podcast The Cat Attack Podcast presented by K ROCK FOOTBALL

Remove this Banner Ad

They're helpful but not definitive. I'm pretty sure the only single figure pick Sydney had drafted in their 2012 team was Jude Bolton? Who wasn't the best player in that team. Similarly us in 2007 may have had Bartel and Selwood... but they weren't the irreplaceable cogs in the engine.

If you get too hung up on any one recruiting stream it will compromise decision making. They just aren't of a consistent or reliable quality, so it will always be about - what kind of talent is in this years draft, this years free agents, this years out of contract trade targets. What will those cost us over this year, next year, in prospects, etc.

Elite players still crop up from all over their drafts. And top picks can fizzle in any team. What I think is more important is just keeping the overall demographic healthy and turning every list management decision into a win. If you manage those two things then you'll be a good team - even when making less than sexy choices.

Ill have to research the Sydney team.. but Geelong had Corey , Bartel , Mackie , Selwood ..(and fluffed Tenace.)

Edit: Bolton is prob similar to Selwood now if not older . The claim still holds but yes only one in the team.. and of course they have now have guys like Heeney.

and on top of that we had multiple FSons which actually simulated those early picks. We have been a good team.. and that good team has failed on the big stage.

Anyway we are debating this in the krock thread ..probably not the spot for it.

Last edited:
Hey boys. I just want to see if you have changed your view on playing 2 Ruckman in the team. Me personally It works so well for the Eagles and even Hawks on the weekend. When Pittonet played ruck Ceglar played were ever he liked and took his fair share of contested marks in crucial times of the game (5 in total)
If we played 2 Ruckman ( Abbott and Smith) and the 1 ruck goes forward which would relive Hawkins as he is always triple tag, as they would have to show some respect to a big man in the 50. If they kick 3 goals between them it's a win.
And plus in finals, Big Men are crucial as well

Thanks FoxDog50

A question for Benny Cass the Brett Thomas of KROCK Football.

Even though we agree that the 2007-2011 era was the best Geelong side of all time, we have to look at the now. Should Geelong at the end of this year move on two or three of its assistant coaches (Not Scarlett and Enright) to bring in fresh ideas, a fresh voice and to bring a focus on developing the 0 to 100 gamers so their game can stand up in the big games? Our bottom end talent in 2018 is not of the same quality as the premiership era, but the club has to develop the bottom end talent by hiring the best teaching coaches and tacticians to become the trendsetters instead of the followers in the AFL.

Gentlemen,

Might just be because we are under pressure to make finals but do you as media feel that the club communicates with its supporters correctly?

I for one am sick of Press conferences where the same lines are trotted out by the coaching and medical staff.

The club needs to be more open as to the direction we are going both in the present seasons and in the future - Coaches are not politicans but CS seems to think he is where he answers a question put to him by the media -without really answering the question.

Secondly - Do you think that the constant media pressure on Gaz is warranted - I mean Ex players Like Dermott, Matt Lloyd and Kane Cornes have taken pot shots at him all year, what more does he have to do?

In 2018 he is averaging (16 Games) : 15 kicks 4 Marks 14 handballs 3 Tackles & 4.8 clearances has also kicked 13 goals

Not a bad season for a guy who in 34 - Kane Cornes wishes he was half the player in his prime that Gaz is now.

Guys,
There is much talk about the bottom end failing at Geelong. Do you guys think that the GFC under their current coaching structure are developing players into better players?. Based on looking at the 22-26 year olds minimum 3 years in the system, to me it appears nearly all players are stagnating or going backwards as players. Bews, Kolojasnij, Thurlow, C Guthrie, Buzza, Gardner, McCarthy, Gregson, Murdoch, Cockatoo, Horlin Smith even Duncan.
It is recognized that Wells is one of the best in the business so lets say all these players had heaps of potential at the start of their GFC careers , something for the coaches to work with BUT why have they not come on?. Thoughts as it surely can't all be the fault of the players.

Only one form me this week....

What in the name of @#%%^ was the Match committee thinking with MOC and Parsons coming into the side? Its hard enough to beat the opposition, let alone good opposition, let alone when the green maggots get trigger happy, and then doing it 2 players down - 3 if you add an injured Stanley.

Im not going to mercilessly beat MOC - he's a B rookie learning his way. Has some endeavour and skills and could be a flop or a good player in time - but he's as close to being ready to play AFL pressure footy as Marianne is ready to let Benny take 16 weeks off to to travel the US and watch every Bengals game live (wont be more than 16 as they wont make the playoffs - and yes shots fired!)

IE Both are totally dreaming and not gonna happen.

Parsons was dropped earlier for poor effort - and he brought the same quality back last week. Im not expecting him to play like an inside Mid, nor like Selwood or a senior player - but in those times in a game where you have to put your hand up and "go" - you have to go!!!!! Its your turn!

And waving your arms in the air and running in a circle around the ball doesn't count. Again, not saying he cant eventually make it or is a player devoid of skills - but if you are out there you got to go for it.

And this brings me back to my original point - who's taking the piss saying they are ready? Who is giving them the stamp that says " they are ready"

Both clearly are not. CS and MC need a LONG HARD LOOK.

GO Catters

Guys,
There is much talk about the bottom end failing at Geelong. Do you guys think that the GFC under their current coaching structure are developing players into better players?. Based on looking at the 22-26 year olds minimum 3 years in the system, to me it appears nearly all players are stagnating or going backwards as players. Bews, Kolojasnij, Thurlow, C Guthrie, Buzza, Gardner, McCarthy, Gregson, Murdoch, Cockatoo, Horlin Smith even Duncan.
It is recognized that Wells is one of the best in the business so lets say all these players had heaps of potential at the start of their GFC careers , something for the coaches to work with BUT why have they not come on?. Thoughts as it surely can't all be the fault of the players.
Chappy you are on the ball. I have been saying this for a long time since the 2013 Preliminary Final loss to Hawthorn. Even though our bottom 8 players are not of the same quality as the 2007, 2009 and 2011 premiership teams, the job of the assistant coaches is to train up the players (Bews, Guthrie, Koko, Horlin Smith and Thurlow) so their skills and decision making skills can stand up to the big games. At the minute, we have experienced the same thing each year since 2013. The bottom 8 players do not stand up in the big games.

Chris Scott keeps on turning them over (sacking Taylor Hunt for example), but the answer is not sacking or delisting young players when they are in their 2nd to 4th year in the AFL system. The hardest period for a young AFL footballer from their 2nd to 4th year is find out ways how to cope with the extra attention from the opposition. That is where the assistant coaches will come into play where they can focus on their skill work; decision making skills and where to position themselves in the attacking and defensive zones.

The key is to turn over your assistant coaches who have been there the longest. As Jeff Kennett said the key to becoming a great club is to turn over your assistants (who are doing the bulk of the work for the head coach) so the club can become the trendsetter in the AFL and the players can hear a different voice for a change. The Cats have not turned over their assistant coaches for a long time. Chris Scott has stuck fat with Knights and Rahilly.

Has his decision to stay loyal to them got the club a premiership? No. OUr bottom 6 to 8 players keep on failing in the big games. Cam Guthrie's foot disposal under pressure is poor whilst Patrick Dangerfield needs to work on his foot disposal to position because his kicks are not perfectly weighted to position (in a similar fashion to Matera and Darren Jarman).

Hence, there has to be a change over of assistants at the end of the year or the 2012-2020 era will be a failure. We have loaded up for the now and failed. So, the club has to move on Knights, Rahilly and Lappin and make offers to Brett Ratten, Mark Williams and Brendan McCartney.

With the current state of list where we have loaded up for the now, there needs to be a teaching focus towards the 0-100 gamers. THat means, moving on the assistants (similar to Richmond in 2016) and bringing in fresh assistants with new ideas.

Got a question for the Cat Attack Podcast team for this week's show?

Fire it through by 4:30pm Wednesday.

Only one from me this week....
What in the name of @#%%^ was the Match committee thinking with MOC and Parsons coming into the side? Its hard enough to beat the opposition, let alone good opposition, let alone when the green maggots get trigger happy, and then doing it 2 players down - 3 if you add an injured Stanley.

Im not going to mercilessly beat MOC - he's a B rookie learning his way. Has some endeavour and skills and could be a flop or a good player in time - but he's as close to being ready to play AFL pressure footy as Marianne is ready to let Benny take 16 weeks off to to travel the US and watch every Bengals game live (wont be more than 16 as they wont make the playoffs - and yes shots fired!)

IE Both are totally dreaming and not gonna happen.

Parsons was dropped earlier for poor effort - and he brought the same quality back last week. Im not expecting him to play like an inside Mid, nor like Selwood or a senior player - but in those times in a game where you have to put your hand up and "go" - you have to go!!!!! Its your turn!

And waving your arms in the air and running in a circle around the ball doesn't count. Again, not saying he cant eventually make it or is a player devoid of skills - but if you are out there you got to go for it.

And this brings me back to my original point - who's taking the piss saying they are ready? Who is giving them the stamp that says " they are ready"

Both clearly are not. CS and MC need a LONG HARD LOOK.

GO Catters

Hi all,

Get your questions for this week's edition of Cat Attack Podcast in by 4pm Tuesday

cheers

Kingy
Kingy and Cass,

We should smash the Suns by 80 points without the Bruce Laird helmets strapped onto our hard heads.

We have a poor record at the MCG over the past 2 years. Would you retain Murdoch in the side or bring back in Quinton Narkle??

To Krock crew

As we have just signed Chris Scott to a new contract till the end of 2022 ....

Is it a smart tactical move by the club to maintain stability.... or a confirmation that there is one big gravy train inside the club where ultimate results do not really matter as long we are not ordinary to bad?

Is Chris Scott the "Master of Finals Mediocrity" or a great coach that has been let down by players when it counts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all,

Get your questions for this week's edition of Cat Attack Podcast in by 4pm Tuesday

cheers

Kingy

Benny "Bengal" Cass and Tom "KROCK's #1 caller" King.

Been a busy week - 133 point Spifflocation of the Dockers (add that to ointment and spasm) and CS gets extended to 2022.

Great to see what a decent 3/4 effort from the boys can do - albeit vs ordinary opposition - I thought the Rainbows on the weekend fought harder to hang around than the Dockers did - but you can only beat who is out there against you.

Hard to make changes after a 22 goal win but does Bews come in for MOC?

And the age old question of resting before finals. Given Port/Dons result will be known before we play but After we have to lodge teams, should we rest anyone if we know that Port has lost and are out and we are 100% confirmed in at least 8th.

Would Selwood and Menz for example benefit from 2 weeks rest if the 8 is already locked up? Narkle in for Menz and Chook in for Selwood. Narkle with 34 and Chook with another 30 in the VFL.

Clearly everyone plays if we need to win to be in.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Hi all,

cheers

Kingy

With a side featuring so many young kids that will be required to step up substantially in the next 3-5 years, how plausible is it that we could bring in Brett Kirk as a development coach? Would he leave Sydney? Are there any options for development coaches that we could look at that are comparable?

Hi all,

cheers

Kingy

if you could choose one player selection option - 5 years of top 4 draft picks for a rebuild or 5 years of playing finals and attracting trades and free agents, which would it be. Which do you think Fremantle supporters would choose?

Is Chris Scott the "Master of Finals Mediocrity" or a great coach that has been let down by players when it counts?

I would suggest he is clearly neither.

You can't win a flag (with three consecutive dominant finals performances) and then be accurately termed the 'Master of F.M.'

And he can't be absolved from significant blame for recent finals capitulations either.

What makes the Scott thread here go around (and around, and around, and around etc. etc. etc.) is the uncomfortable reality (for some) that he is neither an unparalleled genius or an incapable operator swimming way out of his depth.

Still, what would this board be without the incessant polemics on both sides of 'the great debate'?

Apart from more digestible for the 'average poster'...

You can't win a flag (with three consecutive dominant finals performances) and then be accurately termed the 'Master of F.M.'

And he can't be absolved from significant blame for recent finals capitulations either.

What makes the Scott thread here go around (and around, and around, and around etc. etc. etc.) is the uncomfortable reality (for some) that he is neither an unparalleled genius or an incapable operator swimming way out of his depth.

Still, what would this board be without the incessant polemics on both sides of 'the great debate'?

I look forward to your participation on the podcast.. it was a question them to debate after all.. they can either say yes no or neither .. but it was a question for them.

If you want to debate it .. quote my post in the Chris Scott thread

Im with Turbocat here - this is not the place to discuss questions posed for the Podcast.
Quote it to the relevant thread and discuss there.

GO Catters

It is at least open to debate that if the have gets plaudits for his home and away record then his record in finals should also be taken into account. ..and since the 2011 season where plenty believe that he basically piggy backed on the Thompson era... there have been very few good finals.. Maybe his best was the PF against the Haws where I think he just run out of players ..no real ruck in the last quarter hurt... but loosing against Fremantle on a ground we hardly ever lose on. losing against Freo at the G.. losing to the Swans by quarter time... I would say since 2011 our finals have been very mediocre

I look forward to your participation on the podcast.. it was a question them to debate after all.. they can either say yes no or neither .. but it was a question for them.

If you want to debate it .. quote my post in the Chris Scott thread

Apologies.

I take your point that you were not looking for any interaction from other posters here in relation to your question for the K ROCK team.

Will zip it next time.

Apologies.

I take your point that you were not looking for any interaction from other posters here in relation to your question for the K ROCK team.

Will zip it next time.
No need to zip it - this just is not the place to debate stuff.
As mentioned - quote the post to the appropriate thread and unzip :cool:

Go Catters

No need to zip it - this just is not the place to debate stuff.
As mentioned - quote the post to the appropriate thread and unzip :cool:

Go Catters

Better to just leave it with the K ROCK team, I would have thought.

If there's one thing that tens of thousands of posts in the various incarnations of the Scott thread has proved, it is that most posters there aren't at all interested in doing anything other than 'maintaining the rage' that befits their viewpoint. The concept of reasonably and objectively evaluating differing perspectives (albeit that is what a few posters of the calibre of Turbo definitely seek to do) is not really that 'welcome' in what has become little more than a mass conglomeration of posters letting off steam.

In the light of 'four more years', it's clearly time for me to leave that thread well alone. Both in terms of reading and posting.

No matter what good may come of Scott's latest contract extension, it's hard to envisage any good coming from the continually emotive polemics that are passed off as considered and balanced viewpoints in that corner of our board.

So, as a relative novice in how this forum really works, can you tell me whether it is possible to ignore a thread rather than a particular poster?

Seems like the best way forward for me to continue to enjoy the more meritorious aspects of this board.

Last edited:
Better to just leave it with the K ROCK team, I would have thought.

If there's one thing that tens of thousands of posts in the various incarnations of the Scott thread has proved, it is that most posters there aren't at all interested in doing anything other than 'maintaining the rage' that befits their viewpoint. The concept of reasonably and objectively evaluating differing perspectives (albeit that is what a few posters of the calibre of Turbo definitely seek to do) is not really that 'welcome' in what has become little more than a mass conglomeration of posters letting off steam.

In the light of 'four more years', it's clearly time for me to leave that thread well alone. Both in terms of reading and posting.

No matter what good may come of Scott's latest contract extension, it's hard to envisage any good coming from the continually emotive polemics that are passed off as considered and balanced viewpoints in that corner of our board.

So, as a relative novice in how this forum really works, can you tell me whether it is possible to ignore a thread rather than a particular poster?

Seems like the best way forward for me to continue to enjoy the more meritorious aspects of this board.

Cant ignore the thread per se - but just dont click on it, and engage in everything else you want to.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back