Opinion The Cats will improve in 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

If he tried to have a guaranteed number of games per season added to his contract, I would like to think the GFC would have told him to enjoy playing for the Roos next season. Its not the Geelong way to promise anyone, much less a kid who has only played a handful of games, a minimum number of games.

Again I'm a realist, and to them this is business not emotion.

It's not to suggest they don't see him as being the talent they want, I'm sure they accept that, and his management would have pushed.

I'm also not suggesting that his management would have done this, but what I AM saying is that they would want to pump his tyres up like no tomorrow to ensure they don't have to admit making a mistake in trading for him.

It will more likely be a case of selection rewarding form/talent, but I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't play more senior games than VFL in 2013.

It's not to suggest they don't see him as being the talent they want, I'm sure they accept that, and his management would have pushed.

I'm also not suggesting that his management would have done this, but what I AM saying is that they would want to pump his tyres up like no tomorrow to ensure they don't have to admit making a mistake in trading for him.

It will more likely be a case of selection rewarding form/talent, but I'd be extremely surprised if he doesn't play more senior games than VFL in 2013.

Players will be selected on their form, and the preseason, the NAB cup is the place to assess that form. It would be a very bad business decision by the Cats if they guaranteed any player games on any basis apart from good football form and team balance. It won't happen. Calling yourself a "realist", and thereby suggesting that those who disagree are not, adds nothing to the veracity of your comment.

I say I'm a realist because quite often you read of peoples emotional opinions of what should happen in and out of any club and very often it doesn't happen the way you want it to.

Mark Thompson was clear example of this being the case - generally picking experienced players rather than blood the amount of youngsters many people thought he should have.

I say I'm a realist because quite often you read of peoples emotional opinions of what should happen in and out of any club and very often it doesn't happen the way you want it to.

The fact that other people post emotional opinions does not make you a realist. It just means that some people post emotional opinions. It says something about them, not you.

Mark Thompson was clear example of this being the case - generally picking experienced players rather than blood the amount of youngsters many people thought he should have.

Mark Thompson is now an assistant coach at Essendon and he was hardly relevant to the GFC in 2011 or 2012, or now.
Chris Scott is now the coach of the Geelong Football Club. Do I need to remind you of how many players Scotty blooded in the season of 2012?

Precisely. Which resulted in the team losing their first ever final to St.Kilda and getting annihilated by Collingwood. 12 months later a different coach left two very decorated veterans out of the team, and promoted the same youngsters Thompson overlooked (Duncan and Menzel). The result? A premiership.

10 new players making their debut in 2012 all bodes well for a productive 2013, Caddy will be of great value and Hawkins could really break out and possibly kick 80-90 goals? The first half of the season is the key, if the Cats can be 6-4 after round 10 then look out in the second half of the year.

The fact that other people post emotional opinions does not make you a realist. It just means that some people post emotional opinions. It says something about them, not you.

Mark Thompson is now an assistant coach at Essendon and he was hardly relevant to the GFC in 2011 or 2012, or now.
Chris Scott is now the coach of the Geelong Football Club. Do I need to remind you of how many players Scotty blooded in the season of 2012?

Realist implies that I'm more willing to accept what WILL happen, and not what should. Am I wrong in saying this?

If I was to say that everyone said form should warrant selection, then Mark Thompson picked on favourites, and I was to post up saying "Nah, he'll pick X player because that's what he does". Wouldn't that make me a realist? And wouldn't it make it a worthy example of what I'm trying to explain?

Precisely. Which resulted in the team losing their first ever final to St.Kilda and getting annihilated by Collingwood. 12 months later a different coach left two very decorated veterans out of the team, and promoted the same youngsters Thompson overlooked (Duncan and Menzel). The result? A premiership.

Please don't see it as though I was trying to defend him. It was just an example of the message I was getting across.

10 new players making their debut in 2012 all bodes well for a productive 2013, Caddy will be of great value and Hawkins could really break out and possibly kick 80-90 goals? The first half of the season is the key, if the Cats can be 6-4 after round 10 then look out in the second half of the year.

I wouldn't go so far as to look at the first 10 games, way too many variables. There are enough before Round 1.

I'll keep the requirements much simpler. Have a good pre-season, progress as far as possible in the NAB Cup (yes I want to win it), and most importantly, don't let any senior players have easy pre-seasons. No matter who they are. Have the best possible team we've got running out against Hawthorn in Round 1.

Then we'll see.

To be honest I think it's ludicrous to suggest that GFC would guarantee matches to a 20yo kid from GC. It was cultural change that got us 3 flags. We're hardly gonna piss on that now over a kid.

Either way, I believe they'd be under significant pressure, drawn either upon themselves or by Caddy's management to allow him to play plenty of games.

Caddys last game for the Suns produced 1 kick and 2 handballs in 90 minutes of football.

Not judging the kid on one performance, but he's not Chris Judd...at least not yet. I strongly doubt any guarantees were sought or offered, but equally I suspect that he will be given every opportunity to make a contribution at senior level.

I think his tyres are a little over-inflated right now by some...lets give the kid a bit of slack early on. He is training extremely hard and doing everything asked of him on the track which is all we can ask of him. He has ability and if he keeps working, then playing with this side will give him every opportunity to demonstrate it.

Patience brethren.

I think he was brought in to be part of the team. If his form and fitness determine that he's in the best 22 he plays seniors, if it doesn't he doesn't. Don't see what's so difficult about that.

Or do you think certain players should be treated differently and guaranteed senior games no matter what? Can see that working real well for morale.

I don't disagree, but we need to separate discussion of what we want to happen (which the bold is), and what will happen. In reality, it's pretty likely Caddy has been brought in to play 1's and will be given every possible opportunity to do so.

I think he was brought in to be part of the team. If his form and fitness determine that he's in the best 22 he plays seniors, if it doesn't he doesn't. Don't see what's so difficult about that.

Or do you think certain players should be treated differently and guaranteed senior games no matter what? Can see that working real well for morale.
Don't even think it would come in to Scotts thinking,at the end of the day he has a job to do and if he believes getting games in to Caddy or anyone else for that matter is the best thing for the Club, he will do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree, but we need to separate discussion of what we want to happen (which the bold is), and what will happen. In reality, it's pretty likely Caddy has been brought in to play 1's and will be given every possible opportunity to do so.

More importantly, he hasn't put a foot wrong since he walked in the door. That's the most encouraging aspect easily. Just have to wait until the NAB Cup to see what he can add now.

Realist implies that I'm more willing to accept what WILL happen, and not what should. Am I wrong in saying this?

Not if you are prescient. But I sincerely doubt that you are.

If I was to say that everyone said form should warrant selection, then Mark Thompson picked on favourites, and I was to post up saying "Nah, he'll pick X player because that's what he does". Wouldn't that make me a realist? And wouldn't it make it a worthy example of what I'm trying to explain?

No. Because, as I previously stated earlier, Mark Thompson is irrelevant to this conversation. He is not now an employee of the Geelong Football club and has no say in the affairs of team selection at the GFC.

I wouldn't go so far as to look at the first 10 games, way too many variables. There are enough before Round 1.

I'll keep the requirements much simpler. Have a good pre-season, progress as far as possible in the NAB Cup (yes I want to win it), and most importantly, don't let any senior players have easy pre-seasons. No matter who they are. Have the best possible team we've got running out against Hawthorn in Round 1.

Then we'll see.
I agree, however they have a very hard road in the first 10 weeks with no games at home until round 11, they don't want to be 4-6 or 3-7 after 10?

I agree, however they have a very hard road in the first 10 weeks with no games at home until round 11, they don't want to be 4-6 or 3-7 after 10?

True, but there's no point taking it easy to be ready in September if you're not going to be there. We just saw exactly this scenario happen. That's what happens when you take it easy on the training track and during games.

Not if you are prescient. But I sincerely doubt that you are.

No. Because, as I previously stated earlier, Mark Thompson is irrelevant to this conversation. He is not now an employee of the Geelong Football club and has no say in the affairs of team selection at the GFC.

But as I said, the Mark Thompson quote was an example of a point I was making, to explain myself. It had no relevance to the topic at hand.

Yes, but I do not believe that it will happen with Chris Scott if has past two seasons at the GFC are any indication.

I don't think that I can say it any better than Partridge:

Don't even think it would come in to Scotts thinking,at the end of the day he has a job to do and if he believes getting games in to Caddy or anyone else for that matter is the best thing for the Club, he will do it.

Plus he has not been at the club for as long as Bomber was. Loyalties build over time. Not saying Chris hasn't bonded well with the players yet or anything, but it's only been two years so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back