The 2nd Division Thread (proposal)

Should Australia have a second Division to the A-League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 2 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Read this epic thread on X about Melbourne Knights submission and Football Australia. There are 17 different tweets

Sounds like he thinks he knows what's best for Australian football... But James Johnson hasn't put a foot wrong yet, so I'm more inclined to trust him.

You didn't notice that the "National" Second Division is made up of teams from 2 states?

It's a joke, they could've done an NPL Premier like this years ago if the clubs had've realised they'd get shafted this badly. This isn't what they were promised.
Yeah, pretty poor from Football Australia to only announce teams from two states in a "national" second tier competition. I get that the sport is stronger at the grassroots level in NSW & VIC but you really shouldn't ignore other parts of the country if you truly want to grow the game. We saw what Queensland is capable of producing just recently in the Matildas' run to the World Cup semi finals. Why would you ignore the 3rd largest state like that if you're trying to grow the game nationally? Sure, one of the NSD teams will probably end up being from Queensland when it finally launches but IMO that's not enough and other states have a right to be asking questions over involvement too. Football Australia is still far too NSW/VIC centric and this just screams of another tone deaf decision in line with their blunder of handing Sydney exclusive rights to the A-League Grand Final, only to scrap it a year later. The game deserves better.

Football Australia is still far too NSW/VIC centric and this just screams of another tone deaf decision in line with their blunder of handing Sydney exclusive rights to the A-League Grand Final, only to scrap it a year later. The game deserves better.

That was the APL, not FA.

But I'll never disagree that it's all NSW centric.

Gonna be expensive for these clubs initially. To keep costs down they could limit matchday squads to 16 (2 keepers and 14 outfield players). Then you have a manager, assistant manager, club physio / doctor. Someone to arrange logistics & kit. So an away trip to QLD from Melbourne would see a party of around 25 travelling. Return airfares of $600 ea for 25 squad members = 15k in costs just for away games. Exxy without fully professional status, tv rights deals etc.
There are these costs for Wleague, probably more given they're paid well and have more professional staffing. No one seems to bat an eye at the costs (hemorrhaging money). They're stubbornly losing money now hoping it grows

A-League owners seem to be expected to keep funding things then the league is surprised there's no investment in the league. Where is an ounce of profitability in this league?

There are these costs for Wleague, probably more given they're paid well and have more professional staffing. No one seems to bat an eye at the costs (hemorrhaging money). They're stubbornly losing money now hoping it grows

A-League owners seem to be expected to keep funding things then the league is surprised there's no investment in the league. Where is an ounce of profitability in this league?

This is true. Difference is W League teams are part of an A League club. They get the benefits of TV rights deals & advertising. I would suggest the W League would not happen if it were stand alone from the A League. Much like AFLw which is far more unsustainable on its own.

Growth potential is huge. Wasn't that long ago crowds were up around the low to mid teens average. For context J League averages under 20k even today despite having a huge dense population to draw from.

I'd argue Melbourne Croatia. Hellas etc have much more growth potential than women's football.

I'd argue Melbourne Croatia. Hellas etc have much more growth potential than women's football.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read. And I spend a lot of time on BF.

In what universe do clubs that appeal to a small set of 3rd, 4th and 5th generation migrants have more growth potential than targeting 50% of the population? Your statement is so far beyond ridiculous.

In what universe do clubs that appeal to a small set of 3rd, 4th and 5th generation migrants have more growth potential than targeting 50% of the population? Your statement is so far beyond ridiculous.
Targets 50% of the population in terms of participation but not viewership. Most women prefer watching mens sport and if this weren't the case, womens sport would be more viable.

Aflw crowds are rubbish with a bunch of free tickets.

Spurs. Everton. West Ham. Average 1000 odd at their women's home games.

South Melbourne for example would have more than just Greek supporting them if they were given a fair go in a proper football pyramid.

Places like Dandenong. Western Sydney. North Queensland have massive growth potential for association mens football clubs if it was done right in the a league system

I am glad to have amused you however

Read this epic thread on X about Melbourne Knights submission and Football Australia. There are 17 different tweets

Doesn't surprise me one bit that the FA will backflip on certain criteria's its been the norm with football's governing bodies in this country for decades in substitute for $$. I can feel Pave’s frustration.

Are Avondale moving house or will they still play their games at the Calabria Club?

They've got their own ground Avenger park which is more suited to junior & amateur teams than anything else. Unlikely they could turn it into a professional venue with 2k seats, 3k standing room with a proper grandstand etc.

Options would be ABD stadium, Epping Stadium, City Vista stadium or Knights stadium. I doubt Melbourne Knights will be willing to help out Avondale Heights so it would have to be one of the other 3 all of which would need some form of upgrading. Neither are particularly close to Avondale Heights geographically either.

Did they nominate a stadium in their bid? South Melbourne & Preston at least have proper venues ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back