The Chance that lays ahead of us

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly we are in a form of transition, reset, rebuild, whatever you want to call it we are in it.

On field
I see the departure of club stalwarts as being a massive changing of the guard. We lose two bloke who have been out there more than any other, this is a huge thing to hand over to those that we have been bringing through.

We will take the opportunity to hand over to Jack (while the debate about form and what not can go on I am pretty certain it'll be him). Jack make this your team. Use it to force the best out of yourself every game, and the best out of those around you. You need your best season to come in 2017, there is no other option, you have to do this.

Change in how we look going forward, too often the burden of doing the game winning feats have been left on a short old blokes shoulders. We need more class moving the ball from centre to forward line. We also need more consistency when we get it in there. A fit Higgins should help, Jed maybe, Honestly Patch would probably have been handy in this aspect.

Off Field - Coaching
Brad I implore you to take this opportunity and run. In your lead up to preseason I want you to establish a set of standards that you will ruthlessly apply. There are things that should just no longer be tolerated.

- non contesting, Honestly I don't care who it is we should have 100% commitment to the contest. Too many players on the list will wait for the tackle rather than force the contest. Basic of footy this, head over the ball go when its your turn, don't and you play VFL.

- Momentum crushing skill errors. I am not going to pay out on specific players, but when we force the ball forward and f*** up the opportunity it deflates the team. Players missing goals 35 meters out, players not taking the responsibility of kicking the goals, should be omitted. if it comes to it play kids. No free rides, no sacred cows.

Brad it is not often a coach gets 2 cracks at building a list for a push to finals. You are one of the few, it is on you what you do with it. Get out from behind the laptop, coach by feel. Put the media perception on the back burner for a bit. I know you like controlled and systematic, Football isn't and shouldn't be played by robots. Sometimes a bake ain't the worst thing in the world. The best coaches that this club has ever had could peel the paint of the walls. Not suggesting that you become that brutal, but coach with the feeling you had as a player.

Off Field - Admin

I don't mind the silence right now, I interpret it as battening down the hatches rather than spinning out of control.

Once this season and trade eon are over, come out and be bloody strong about who we are and what we stand for. no leaving it to Brad, I want President and CEO out in the media leading the way on this. Let the coach coach.

verall
To the people saying that we will be down for a long time I wholeheartedly disagree. We have the core of a playing group that has pushed us to finals repeatedly still together. We have a history that says we do not conduct ourselves in such a manner.

We may dip next year for no other reason than we need to cycle through some blokes to find the ones who will stick.

As much as a dip is on the table, if by some miracle we had a completely healthy list for the entire year, and with what should be an easier draw, finishing higher than we did this year is also on the table.

If we want to change how we've been getting to where we have, now is that time.

Look beyond the cursory to find the opportunity.

chugginon

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2009
Victoria Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clearly we are in a form of transition, reset, rebuild, whatever you want to call it we are in it.

On field
I see the departure of club stalwarts as being a massive changing of the guard. We lose two bloke who have been out there more than any other, this is a huge thing to hand over to those that we have been bringing through.

We will take the opportunity to hand over to Jack (while the debate about form and what not can go on I am pretty certain it'll be him). Jack make this your team. Use it to force the best out of yourself every game, and the best out of those around you. You need your best season to come in 2017, there is no other option, you have to do this.

Change in how we look going forward, too often the burden of doing the game winning feats have been left on a short old blokes shoulders. We need more class moving the ball from centre to forward line. We also need more consistency when we get it in there. A fit Higgins should help, Jed maybe, Honestly Patch would probably have been handy in this aspect.

Off Field - Coaching
Brad I implore you to take this opportunity and run. In your lead up to preseason I want you to establish a set of standards that you will ruthlessly apply. There are things that should just no longer be tolerated.

- non contesting, Honestly I don't care who it is we should have 100% commitment to the contest. Too many players on the list will wait for the tackle rather than force the contest. Basic of footy this, head over the ball go when its your turn, don't and you play VFL.

- Momentum crushing skill errors. I am not going to pay out on specific players, but when we force the ball forward and f*** up the opportunity it deflates the team. Players missing goals 35 meters out, players not taking the responsibility of kicking the goals, should be omitted. if it comes to it play kids. No free rides, no sacred cows.

Brad it is not often a coach gets 2 cracks at building a list for a push to finals. You are one of the few, it is on you what you do with it. Get out from behind the laptop, coach by feel. Put the media perception on the back burner for a bit. I know you like controlled and systematic, Football isn't and shouldn't be played by robots. Sometimes a bake ain't the worst thing in the world. The best coaches that this club has ever had could peel the paint of the walls. Not suggesting that you become that brutal, but coach with the feeling you had as a player.

Off Field - Admin

I don't mind the silence right now, I interpret it as battening down the hatches rather than spinning out of control.

Once this season and trade eon are over, come out and be bloody strong about who we are and what we stand for. no leaving it to Brad, I want President and CEO out in the media leading the way on this. Let the coach coach.

verall
To the people saying that we will be down for a long time I wholeheartedly disagree. We have the core of a playing group that has pushed us to finals repeatedly still together. We have a history that says we do not conduct ourselves in such a manner.

We may dip next year for no other reason than we need to cycle through some blokes to find the ones who will stick.

As much as a dip is on the table, if by some miracle we had a completely healthy list for the entire year, and with what should be an easier draw, finishing higher than we did this year is also on the table.

If we want to change how we've been getting to where we have, now is that time.

Look beyond the cursory to find the opportunity.

^^^What he said^^^

Wot you both said ^ ^ :)

Reckon the assistant coaching ranks need some fresh blood too, possibly people more recently out of the game, and from clubs with good systems in place, Crocks to remain Director of Coaching .
We should be so far into Luke Hodge for what he's going to do after playing that every time he has a beer he tastes Kangaroo.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2016
Australia's Most Haunted Town
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Adelaide Giants
download (24).jpg

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good thread. Great OP. Keep it positive, everyone else, please. Please.

Jack permanently forward is definitely my preference. I'd actually just about swap him with Lindsay. LT is awesome in the open field. Not so great in front of goals (again, unfortunately). That's the momentum sapping stuff you mentioned, OF.

The key is definitely the classes of '14 & '15. We need to get them all fit and competing for positions. That will give us some hope.

In hindsight, the big four delisting thing I think will be seen as a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be pushing for our own North Melbourne VFL side.

That's where the ******* rot has started these past goodness knows how many years.
IMHO
No debt + more say at Werribee >>>> own VFL side.

roojor

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rather have a new group coming through rather than knowing we are not quite up to it, given that hawthorn will drop off then geelong. Over the next few years

We should be so far into Luke Hodge for what he's going to do after playing that every time he has a beer he tastes Kangaroo.

He has business interests outside footy and will no doubt write his own cheque with the media opportunities which come his way.

I'll of course press him on the subject at kinder pickup post the season as he's been absent since the finals began.

He has business interests outside footy and will no doubt write his own cheque with the media opportunities which come his way.

I'll of course press him on the subject at kinder pickup post the season as he's been absent since the finals began.

Then we should be offering more than any of that to get him.

General Manager of on field aggression.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

Lite and easy.

That's Hodge Podge these days.

osaka mick

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Gold Coast
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton, 76s, Canucks
Ive heard a lot of radio commentators say that they would take their captain over their coach. ie, Voss was more important to winning 3 premierships than Lethal, and Hodge is the same for the Hawks over Clarko.

Without a doubt, Jack will be a better option than Swallow. I think we need a captain who leads by example, more so than just the tackling pressure, and I think Jack can do this. Carey did it, Stevo did it, Simmo and Boomer did it. Swallow, while a decent player, and someone who may offer other great qualities as a skipper, just isnt in the same category. I think JMac does it, FWIW!!

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ive heard a lot of radio commentators say that they would take their captain over their coach. ie, Voss was more important to winning 3 premierships than Lethal, and Hodge is the same for the Hawks over Clarko.

Without a doubt, Jack will be a better option than Swallow. I think we need a captain who leads by example, more so than just the tackling pressure, and I think Jack can do this. Carey did it, Stevo did it, Simmo and Boomer did it. Swallow, while a decent player, and someone who may offer other great qualities as a skipper, just isnt in the same category. I think JMac does it, FWIW!!
Sorry, but Boomer was a s**t captain. JMAC would be my preference over anyone else.

Sorry, but Boomer was a s**t captain. JMAC would be my preference over anyone else.

I can't see them building Jack up for it the way they did last preseason and not giving it to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back