Analysis The changes we have to make going forward...

Remove this Banner Ad

Or let’s change the words. So they only listen to instructions for ten minutes. Of cause tiredness effects ability and also the ability to follow instructions and they have opposition.

Agreed. But why does it only affect OUR ability to follow instructions? Are the players not fit enough? We were promised a very fit team in 2019.

If it's not coaching, then what was the point of changing coaches?

What I saw was a playing group that professed to be very fond of Richo, and in the end because so paralysed by fear of failure and losing, because they knew it would eventually cost Richo his job, that they couldn't play the free flowing footy they must do to succeed.

Ratten took over... and got about two weeks of that footy out of them. And one of those games was against Melbourne - in our last 30 matches we've averaged 106 points per game against Melbourne and 73.4 points per game against everyone else.

I just think the most important and most fundamental change we need to make is how we approach playing games - what our intent is. And our intent must be to move the ball quickly into the forward line, with forwards already waiting to have the ball kicked to them.

This off-season was spent setting the team up with a forward line that included Bruce, Membrey AND McCartin. As soon as Paddy hit his head again, that went out the window. Why? For only brief portions of games this season have we set up with three tall marking forwards. Ratten has the perfect opportunity v Adelaide to do it, but instead kept Battle on a small. He even eventually moved McKenzie forward. I'm sick of seeing both of our key forwards leading for the same mark, or better yet, one of them marking it and looking up to nothing to kick to. It particularly exacerbates Membrey's inability to kick low and quickly.

I have a very firm idea of how I would like us to play. How? I've seen us do it. Usually for about ten minutes a game.

Agreed. But why does it only affect OUR ability to follow instructions? Are the players not fit enough? We were promised a very fit team in 2019.

If it's not coaching, then what was the point of changing coaches?

What I saw was a playing group that professed to be very fond of Richo, and in the end because so paralysed by fear of failure and losing, because they knew it would eventually cost Richo his job, that they couldn't play the free flowing footy they must do to succeed.

Ratten took over... and got about two weeks of that footy out of them. And one of those games was against Melbourne - in our last 30 matches we've averaged 106 points per game against Melbourne and 73.4 points per game against everyone else.

I just think the most important and most fundamental change we need to make is how we approach playing games - what our intent is. And our intent must be to move the ball quickly into the forward line, with forwards already waiting to have the ball kicked to them.

This off-season was spent setting the team up with a forward line that included Bruce, Membrey AND McCartin. As soon as Paddy hit his head again, that went out the window. Why? For only brief portions of games this season have we set up with three tall marking forwards. Ratten has the perfect opportunity v Adelaide to do it, but instead kept Battle on a small. He even eventually moved McKenzie forward. I'm sick of seeing both of our key forwards leading for the same mark, or better yet, one of them marking it and looking up to nothing to kick to. It particularly exacerbates Membrey's inability to kick low and quickly.

I have a very firm idea of how I would like us to play. How? I've seen us do it. Usually for about ten minutes a game.
Ok

Again it’s not a fair assessment. Beams didn’t miss games last year with mental issues. He also didn’t let his body go. And worst of all if that trade was done now he is probably a late first or early second because of the mental issues beams has had this year.

So if the season was done right now what would you be expecting from Geelong in a trade?

Marsh, Mayo and Langlands I expect to stay but I wouldn’t be that surprised if one or more were cut.

Serious? Been here for about 5 minutes....I'd be surprised if he was cut.

Serious? Been here for about 5 minutes....I'd be surprised if he was cut.

Look I’d probably be surprised if he was cut but it’s a bit odd that he hasn’t been extended. Maybe it’ll be extended at the end of the season though. I think the mid-season rookies get until the end of the year and compensation if they get delisted.

Look I’d probably be surprised if he was cut but it’s a bit odd that he hasn’t been extended. Maybe it’ll be extended at the end of the season though. I think the mid-season rookies get until the end of the year and compensation if they get delisted.

He’s probably just not anywhere near priority at the moment so he can wait.

Marsh was on an afl list previously with Collingwood, so he must have something. I’d give him another year at least.

I’m saying we get rid of the non afl standards and bring in better players. We shouldn’t be talking about finals, but improvement, because we have a lot to do. Overall we have a good core just need to add.

Cutting players doesn't make the team stronger.
We don't have a lot of draft picks this year.
I’m saying we get rid of the non afl standards and bring in better players. We shouldn’t be talking about finals, but improvement, because we have a lot to do. Overall we have a good core just need to add.

Bring in how... Oh here's Nat Fyfe's clone playing for Nar Nar Goon 2nds.?

Cutting players doesn't make the team stronger.
We don't have a lot of draft picks this year.

Bring in how... Oh here's Nat Fyfe's clone playing for Nar Nar Goon 2nds.?
I just try to be positive. Cutting down non afl standard players and replacing them is what we need to do, but you make a good point in how. Trading probably. Brad hill, Tucker, -insert player- can easily make way for X amount of spuds. Don’t have to do it all at once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will have a crack

Delist

Mccartin - health
Robbo - health
Armo - slow
Rowe - We dont even want to play him now
Longer - health/limited ability
Pierce - spud

Keep

Carlisle i am happy to keep if he is used as an interceptor. which is his strength. Not a lock down backmen and definately not a forward.
Long is another season away from the 50 game barrier. Needs to find more of of the pill and to lay a tackle.
Brown - required. Been good this year.
Austin - I rate him. See how he recovers from injury next year.
Joyce - One more year to work on his game.

Trade

Lonie - Third rounder would do
White - as above
Rice - as above
Steven - Would not mind multiple second rounders, like lets say four? Would help removing other dead wood.

Need a second ruck.
Need another tall forward irrespective of Ming. Bing may be the answer.
Quality outside ball user. Something in the mould of Issac Smith.
Gresham forward might be preferable as well. Miss his goals and assists.

Fix our seconds team. Rabble.
I for the life of me cannot understand why the dislike for Lonie?? He has had a significant injury early this season, was wonderful late last year and really good before he got injured. He is easily our best pressure player in our forward line. there would be about 6 other players I would get rid of before him.

I for the life of me cannot understand why the dislike for Lonie?? He has had a significant injury early this season, was wonderful late last year and really good before he got injured. He is easily our best pressure player in our forward line. there would be about 6 other players I would get rid of before him.
He looks like a bit of the old lonie now, but I’m confident he can get back to 4 goal lonie.

He looks like a bit of the old lonie now, but I’m confident he can get back to 4 goal lonie.

Lonie and Hind both average 1.1 goals a game for the season , and are the best goal kickers after Membrey and Bruce.
We can get rid of Lonie, but that won't make Long, Kent , or Parker kick more goals.

Not so many 2 goal a game smalls now. Lonie and Hind are on 1.1, the likes of Breust and Ablett get 1.5, Willie Rioli 1.2.

So 5 goes for hill and after that what do we have?
* all
We can delisted as many as we like but we have absolutely no presence in the draft after that.

We either trade players for picks and get youth or somehow pull a rabbit fair and square out of our butts and trade average players for good ones.
That aint happening so im not actually liking where we are.
After king and bytel coming in with hill thats prob it...thats the improvement.
No one knocking the door down at Sandy.
Capt comes back.
How rhe * are we going to get ryder?
Trade another future second or third??.

So 5 goes for hill and after that what do we have?
fu** all
We can delisted as many as we like but we have absolutely no presence in the draft after that.

We either trade players for picks and get youth or somehow pull a rabbit fair and square out of our butts and trade average players for good ones.
That aint happening so im not actually liking where we are.
After king and bytel coming in with hill thats prob it...thats the improvement.
No one knocking the door down at Sandy.
Capt comes back.
How rhe fu** are we going to get ryder?
Trade another future second or third??.
5 won’t go for hill. If it does we will get something back (could be in draft or a player)

He’s probably just not anywhere near priority at the moment so he can wait.

Marsh was on an afl list previously with Collingwood, so he must have something. I’d give him another year at least.
Hasn't Marsh signed another contract recently ?

I feel better about things than i have for a while.

When people were talking us up a bit in 2016 and 2017, i thought we had a game built on pressure, but our skills were sh*t. I knew there was no way we could take the next step until our skills improved. People were saying Seb Ross was a really good player... i was thinking "no he's not... he can't kick"

This year we found a few good players. I'm excited about where they can get to, going forward. The thing that really makes me feel better (and somewhat breathe a sigh of relief) was hearing Ratten finally identify where we were lacking in his last press conference. I find there's no bullsh*t when he speaks. I hope he gets the job and i hope he stays true to what he said in the presser. I also hope the club cuts players with weak skills/football iq, even if it means we don't play finals next year. I'm ok with waiting if i feel we're heading in the right direction. I haven't really felt that since Ross Lyon left.

Bring on 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back