The Chicken Little thread 2021 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I’m putting a line through us making finals in 2021 (it will be much less painful than keeping hope alive that we will).
I hadn't until today but we'll be 3 games & percentage behind 7th position at the end of this round. The 8th team being Richmond...

I wouldn't rule GWS out but otherwise the gap between the top 8 and rest after just 9 rounds is pretty astounding.

Honestly thought we could have caused an upset over the past 2 weeks. So ******* sick of seeing our season shot before its even half completed.

Ok my prediction unless some of younger players go to the next level, with basically same team and same head coach we will be in the same position next year in terms of missing finals.

Incremental growth won’t get us there we need a huge shakeup to progress.

I have a bit of a concern that the attitude that has seen Ratten, then Malthouse, then Bolton has permeated the playing list. That the players and the leadership group - all of them - have too much influence over the club, and that they can and will undermine and continue to undermine a coach they don't like or don't like anymore.

The only way to completely solve this problem is to do what Bucks did and trade/delist/retire the troublesome ones, but our list demographic is not what Collingwood's was in 2011-12; we skew a good deal younger in terms of our leaders. And I don't want us getting rid of talent before we've performed anything of note.

The only other solution is to deliberately go out and recruit someone like Lyon or Clarkson - a noted hardarse with the credentials to get their respect - to belt them around the ears and try to pivot their views entirely. Course, that could have the opposite reaction; players opt out even further, damning the new coach to an even shitter set of performances.

I have a bit of a concern that the attitude that has seen Ratten, then Malthouse, then Bolton has permeated the playing list. That the players and the leadership group - all of them - have too much influence over the club, and that they can and will undermine and continue to undermine a coach they don't like or don't like anymore.

The only way to completely solve this problem is to do what Bucks did and trade/delist/retire the troublesome ones, but our list demographic is not what Collingwood's was in 2011-12; we skew a good deal younger in terms of our leaders. And I don't want us getting rid of talent before we've performed anything of note.

The only other solution is to deliberately go out and recruit someone like Lyon or Clarkson - a noted hardarse with the credentials to get their respect - to belt them around the ears and try to pivot their views entirely. Course, that could have the opposite reaction; players opt out even further, damning the new coach to an even shitter set of performances.
Agree we may have to recruit a hard nosed & experience coach, I’d add Scott to your recommendations too . The team is agonizing and floundering, superficially it’s seems players just have too much influence in footy matters.
I’m eager for Sayers to take the reins, direct and firm, he’ll make changes he’s a no nonsense type , not a yes man, things will happen for the better.
By the way I’d prefer Don Pyke, reckon that if we’re courageous enough to give him another shot, he could really make important changes won’t happen overnight, but hey we’ve being waiting a decade for a final appearance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That windy here, would blow the feathers off a chook
There isn't really a thread for depressing speculation, so I picked this one for mine. It's been something I've been a mite concerned about for a while; it'd explain Cripps going from not performing to superman in 2019 as soon as we changed coaches, for example.

I don't know, I suppose. This could very much be one of those 'the sky is grey' things that happens after a loss, when all you'd see is a few clouds and dazzling sunlight through them after a win.

There isn't really a thread for depressing speculation, so I picked this one for mine. It's been something I've been a mite concerned about for a while; it'd explain Cripps going from not performing to superman in 2019 as soon as we changed coaches, for example.

I don't know, I suppose. This could very much be one of those 'the sky is grey' things that happens after a loss, when all you'd see is a few clouds and dazzling sunlight through them after a win.

Not having a go Geth

Although, at the moment every thread seems very doom and gloom

Changes will be made and rightful so, but the list is reasonably solid for we we should be, despite underperforming

Yep a hard taskmaster, not a friend! someone that will be hired, with the President, board prior to their commencement shooting a message to all players, "no whinging, no carrying on... don't want to hear your complaints.. this new coach has 3 years to coach you into a winning team... you don't want to win then GTFO... we don't want to hear your complaints and whinging"

Nothing personal about any of the individuals I’m about to mention, but the place needs a cleanse.

Murph, Levi and Eddie - goodbye.

Teague, Stanton - goodbye

Lloyd - goodbye

We need to move on players that represent the last decade. If Ed Curnow hasn’t signed the extension i’d be withdrawing it.

Teague just can’t get them to do what he wants, if he even knows what he wants them to do

Lloyd wasn't strong enough to change the assistant coaching dynamic, and whatever the hell is going on with selection and fitness ultimately falls to his feet.

id honestly love to know why Russell is revered.

Nothing personal about any of the individuals I’m about to mention, but the place needs a cleanse.

Murph, Levi and Eddie - goodbye.

Teague, Stanton - goodbye

Lloyd - goodbye

We need to move on players that represent the last decade. If Ed Curnow hasn’t signed the extension i’d be withdrawing it.

Teague just can’t get them to do what he wants, if he even knows what he wants them to do

Lloyd wasn't strong enough to change the assistant coaching dynamic, and whatever the hell is going on with selection and fitness ultimately falls to his feet.

id honestly love to know why Russell is revered.
I'd still be signing Ed, but he'd never play a single minute of ones while there's uninjured mids sitting in the twos. He is captain of the reserves unless promoted.

I want to know how, after Lloyd supposedly reviewed the injury/rehab/conditioning parts of the club, the club got worse. I don't understand why we cannot run games out, or why we cannot become stronger without soft tissue injuries. I don't understand how, any given week, we have a quarter to a full third of our list unavailable.

I want as much of the review released as is feasible without disclosing club secrets.

Talent is there, gameplan is not. We’ve seen the glimpses of the upside when we’re on. The hope is there.

2022:
1. gameplans - plural. When things aren’t going our way, we need to find a way. We need more gears. If we can have a few methods, tailored to exploit oppo weaknesses, we’re on.

2. a ruthless game day coach. We need to adapt to game day situations. The issues we had this year is that the all-attacking approach worked when the oppo didn’t know how to deal with it. We lost to NM and GCS (and others over the year) because the coaches adapted on the day and cracked us open. We had no plan B, C, or otherwise.

3. improve certain skills. Skills generally have been better from previous years but a) tackling and b) goal kicking have been terrible. Those two skills are pretty much fundamental to the game. Win the contested ball and kick straight and you win the game.

4. Centre clearance work. I am a firm believer that Barker has not line coached any line well that he’s been assigned to. A pre-season with a good clearance coach with a decent gameplan will see us prosper.

5. Instill a ruthless ‘win at all cost’ culture. It’s a privilege to play AFL. It’s a privilege to play for Carlton. We have players that constantly take the **** when they joke and stuff around after a loss. This is probably unpopular but when Ed C was interviewed for his 200th promo, he said that footy isn’t the be all and end all, and that’s it’s just a game. That didn’t sit well with me given he gets paid $100’s of k to do his job. If I said that at my job, I’d be sacked. Have some passion. Take your job seriously. Starts with the leaders - coach and captain.

Finally, 5% off on any game day will see us lose. We were in most games up to our neck over the year and could easily have a few more wins on the board. It was our lack of a second option when oppo coaches got dynamic on the day.

We get a coach that can clean up that 5% and can implement solid systems and can show exemplary game day coaching, and instill a ruthless culture to get players to start giving a ****, it will see us playing finals.

The elements are there. We need the man to piece them together and get opposition frightened about playing us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back