The Chief Has Spoken!

Remove this Banner Ad

This honeymoon phase only lasts a few weeks before things start reverting back to the norm, yet there is 0 media mention of this. It's either completely unprofessional, or deliberately misleading.
It's both.

Is their any other sports media in the world as sycophantic as the AFL media?

It's a disgrace that Hocking makes up a rule to stifle Richmond and suit Geelong and then leaves the AFL to go back to Geelong.
No transperancy at all.
The rule changes are a joke.. although they've being doing it since the game was invented. 666, was a response to Richmond strategy. And the other rule changes that came in after Whateley's crisis crapola. Which is ridiculous.
Geelong finished one position higher on the ladder so that's an improvement. But can't get past prelim stage. Situation normal for them. Hocking can take no blame or credit. McLaughllan should. Richmond and Collingwood dropped the most of the 4 teams who didn't make finals in 21. Brendon can get Collingwood's CEO on the campaign. Do you reckon Melbourne or the dogs are complaining about the change?

Last edited:
After all that Benny Gale has done for this club he has my full support to say anything he likes… especially when he’s 100% correct.
There's lots of good content in the interview but what's the headline? Gale slams ‘stand’ rule. Tom Lynch kicked just 35 goals in 2021, and Richmond’s CEO says a decision at AFL House is partly to blame.

If Brendan Gale was an ex footballer then he's fine offering an opinion. As current CEO his "personal" views become conflated with club policy. I think I might buy Gale a copy of a little book, published a few thousand years ago. Has some gems like this in it.

4. “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.” – Sun Tzu

Now I'm sure Brendan is on it. Cos our enemies are reading his interview too.

10. All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.” – Sun tzu

Last edited:

Great work Benny. SHocking decision to rubber stamp the stand rule without running it by the rules committee was abuse of power and out-and-out cheating.

Get why his bro Buddha has no love for him - manipulative and power hungry ahole
The Rules Committee do such great work? Credit them with the 666 can we? FFS

The fundamental theme of footy is freedom. Every player can go everywhere, everyone can take a mark, kick a goal etc. This isn't American football where only 2 guys actually touch the ball.

The sHocking rule changes have been primarily about restriction. Ruck nomination, 666, interchange restrictions, and the dreaded Stand rule. I've probably missed a few here too. Why he was able to introduce rule changes that directly contradict the primary aspect of our game is beyond me.

I think all of the recent rule changes need to be thoroughly evaluated to make sure that the game is still about freedom.

Also good on Benny for calling that sh*t rule out. Something is rotten at AFLHQ.
Here's 72 pages of Freedom for ya

Your assessment of our team’s issues is correct

but Benny is talking about a rule that is ruining footy as a spectacle

two separate issues
Did you ever watch a game Paul Roos coached team? Spectacle is not how I'd describe it, if kicking goals 1970s style is the objective.

Hocking scurried back to club-land for a reason. The stand rule actually reduced scoring when CH7 was utterly desperate for it to increase by a decent margin.

When CH7 suffers financially, the game suffers, and the AFL will try anything to make them happy which is partly why we ended up with such a botched rule in the first place. I believe the AFL wouldn't hesitate to repeal the rule in CH7 asks them...the danger is the AFL putting an even more hare-brained rule in its place!

Hocking can try to co-opt the Demons successful 30 minutes of the GF, which put back some of the lost $$$ into CH7 coffers. But it's simple fact that it came far too late to save his job, and that tells you everything you need to know about the Stand rule.
The discussion of the broadcasters financial return is an interesting one. I mean the last lot of changes were based on:

The package of changes are the result of nearly 12 months of analysis and consultation with current and past players, coaches, umpires, clubs and fans, and are designed to protect and enhance the unique characteristics of the game.

The AFL’s Game Analysis Team via the new Competition Committee considered ten years of data and insights, and identified trends that are shaping the way the game is played.

AFL General Manager Football Operations Steve Hocking said the game was loved by generations of fans for its speed and athleticism, and the rule changes and new interpretations would ensure that the essential elements of AFL were protected.

“We have listened to our fans, players, coaches, umpires and clubs. The rule changes and interpretations protect and respect the traditions of Australian Football while progressing our game,” Mr. Hocking said.

“We all want more of what makes our game great – free flowing passages of play, one-on-one contests, and players having space to play on instinct.

“These changes are about giving players the best chance to play the best game, and giving the fans more of what they love,” Mr. Hocking said.

The Commission has accepted the following rules changes and interpretations:

No mention of how it would affect the FTA broadcaster. In actual fact Ch7 extended their broadcast deal into 2024. On the back of low scoring football
I guess if there aren't many goals scored in a game the ads will just have to be played somewhere. On a Friday night that'd be between 7PM broadcast start. 750 game start. Maybe squeeze an ad or 50 in at half time? or if not, in the 50 minutes post game. That's CH7 sorted. If there's less goals just going to have to have advertising all over the players, on the grass, on the hoardings. etc etc. Telstra own other digital broadcast rights. I'm sure they can squeeze some betting ads in.
Its hard to tell what club is what with football jumpers for the company logos .
I can't stand it.
Don't get me started on stokes and his war memorial

Last edited:
Only way the afl will back down is if people stop going to the game and/or stop watching.
Now i'm not talking about games involving Norf/Carlton and Suns.
But could you imagine CH7 execs if it shows even a 20% reduction in viewers watching a game involving us/Coll/Ess/WC etc.
Rnd 1 seems a nice start seeing that we're not unfurling a flag this year.

Did you ever watch a game Paul Roos coached team? Spectacle is not how I'd describe it, if kicking goals 1970s style is the objective.
I've always considered 2005/2006 a low point for the game, that Geelong 2007 bailed us out of with their attacking game plan.

Would be interesting to rewatch 2005/2006 and compare with things now

He simply quotes the article. Nothing added

No, he implies its "another stand-off".

So he implies its a "stand-off" & that its "another one of many". That is not just sending a link through - he is using it to imply we are basically having a long war with the AFL over numerous issues. Context is everything.

I would have rather watch the Paul Roos Swans Vs Eagles Grand Finals for a decade straight than the poop which we saw last year. Game was a deplorable mess. No other game in the world requires players to be literal scarecrows like that.

Only way the afl will back down is if people stop going to the game and/or stop watching.
Now i'm not talking about games involving Norf/Carlton and Suns.
But could you imagine CH7 execs if it shows even a 20% reduction in viewers watching a game involving us/Coll/Ess/WC etc.
Rnd 1 seems a nice start seeing that we're not unfurling a flag this year.

Think it might be gravitating to those figures gradually anyway - so many avid followers I have spoken too have started turning off - really not liking the product as much. Season gone was my first year turning off mid-games and not watching anywhere near as many - has shocked the wife!;)

I've always considered 2005/2006 a low point for the game, that Geelong 2007 bailed us out of with their attacking game plan.

Would be interesting to rewatch 2005/2006 and compare with things now
Geelong were always moving the ball. I can't remember if it lead to big scores or not. Probably just when they'd kick 30 goals vs RFC.
thanks for volunteering....do some 2018 style "analysis" ...appreciate the "speed and athleticism" of the game. Giving us what "we love"
2018 it looked like a widespread analysis of the game by experts.
Sounded like we would trial all these new rules for a season to see if they work. Nah, had a couple of preseaon games and called it a success. When I heard that I just knew the AFL wants change for change sake. No way in hell they repeal any rule.
I think it just keeps footy on the back pages. On the airwaves etc.
bit like how long the trade/draft period takes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it might be gravitating to those figures gradually anyway - so many avid followers I have spoken too have started turning off - really not liking the product as much. Season gone was my first year turning off mid-games and not watching anywhere near as many - has shocked the wife!;)
The same old commentators, betting advertising. Richmond playing disgusting football. The trifecta!! lucky I can mute the whole broadcast and not watch ads either.
Just haven't worked out Richmond's problem yet

AFL General Manager Football Operations Steve Hocking said the game was loved by generations of fans for its speed and athleticism, and the rule changes and new interpretations would ensure that the essential elements of AFL were protected.
STAND!!!

No, he implies its "another stand-off".

So he implies its a "stand-off" & that its "another one of many". That is not just sending a link through - he is using it to imply we are basically having a long war with the AFL over numerous issues. Context is everything.

I would have rather watch the Paul Roos Swans Vs Eagles Grand Finals for a decade straight than the poop which we saw last year. Game was a deplorable mess. No other game in the world requires players to be literal scarecrows like that.
I rewatched and your correct. When the HSun give him Richmond CEO Brendon Gale slams ‘stand’ rule.
I trying to remember what the AFL were P""ed off at us about this year. Was it the Bolton at a night club thing?

The rule changes are a joke.. although they've being doing it since the game was invented. 666, was a response to Richmond strategy. And the other rule changes that came in after Whateley's crisis crapola. Which is ridiculous.
Geelong finished one position higher on the ladder so that's an improvement. But can't get past prelim stage. Situation normal for them. Hocking can take no blame or credit. McLaughllan should. Richmond and Collingwood dropped the most of the 4 teams who didn't make finals in 21. Brendon can get Collingwood's CEO on the campaign. Do you reckon Melbourne or the dogs are complaining about the change?
Konrad can write his new book Fear and loathing on the campaign trail. repeel The stand Rule.

Having worked in advertising for 25 years I can assure everyone that advertisers want their ads played live in-play, when a goal has been kicked.

What advertisers really hate is their ads being played pre game, in the quarter time or half time breaks and particularly after the game - as those are the times when viewing dips as many viewers get up, go to the loo, go get a beer or snack or do whatever.

Each advertiser buys either a sponsorship or ad package and the ads are placed on rotation because nobody wants all their ads in those junk spots. However the big sponsors get the premium placements. Also, often the number of eyeballs seeing an advertiser's ad is guaranteed, often to get deals over the line. It's called guaranteed audience delivery.

So, if the audience numbers don't stack up to what was quoted in the advertising package, Ch7 have to issue 'make goods' (additional free ads in other areas to make up the numbers). That's about as simply as I can explain it.

So, less goals means problems for Ch7. Anyone who doesn't think that these rule changes/pressure for more goals doesn't come from the telecaster/broadcasters doesn't know what they're talking about, despite all of Shocking's bullshit about keeping the fans happy and blah blah blah:

"We have listened to our fans, players, coaches, umpires and clubs. The rule changes and interpretations protect and respect the traditions of Australian Football while progressing our game,” Mr. Hocking said.

“We all want more of what makes our game great – free flowing passages of play, one-on-one contests, and players having space to play on instinct.

“These changes are about giving players the best chance to play the best game, and giving the fans more of what they love,” Mr. Hocking said.

This is just a bald faced lie.

And by the way - the ******* fans aren't happy arsehole.

Having worked in advertising for 25 years I can assure everyone that advertisers want their ads played live in-play, when a goal has been kicked.

What advertisers really hate is their ads being played pre game, in the quarter time or half time breaks and particularly after the game - as those are the times when viewing dips as many viewers get up, go to the loo, go get a beer or snack or do whatever.

Each advertiser buys either a sponsorship or ad package and the ads are placed on rotation because nobody wants all their ads in those junk spots. However the big sponsors get the premium placements. Also, often the number of eyeballs seeing an advertiser's ad is guaranteed, often to get deals over the line. It's called guaranteed audience delivery.

So, if the audience numbers don't stack up to what was quoted in the advertising package, Ch7 have to issue 'make goods' (additional free ads in other areas to make up the numbers). That's about as simply as I can explain it.

So, less goals means problems for Ch7. Anyone who doesn't think that these rule changes/pressure for more goals doesn't come from the telecaster/broadcasters doesn't know what they're talking about, despite all of Shocking's bullshit about keeping the fans happy and blah blah blah:

"We have listened to our fans, players, coaches, umpires and clubs. The rule changes and interpretations protect and respect the traditions of Australian Football while progressing our game,” Mr. Hocking said.

Well, well. Hello enemy number 1 ;)

2nd bolded point: absolutely. At least on this board and the MB everyone is extremely well aware that more goals = more ad revenue, and this is the driving force behind the rule changes, regardless of what AFLHQ or media "experts" say. The fans get pissed off because we are continually lied to about why the rules are being introduced. It highlights the corruption of the supposed caretakers of the game.

The issue is it's extremely hard to counter. Corporations will continue to pour money into the AFL, which will continue to accommodate them, and suckers like myself will keep watching the sport, because it's my favourite thing to watch in the world.

Ideally what we'd have is a complete change of management/perspective from the top of AFLHQ that brings the game back to the fans. I just don't see that happening.

stand rule is a joke and it really is the opposite of what needs to happen.
if they want more goals kicked they have to stop teams from defending with the ball in there hands not the team that is defending with out it
turn overs creates goals.
cut the time a player has after a mark or free kick and make sure they kick it at least 20m
this chip chip rubbish is as boring as bat poo and is why we don't get goals kicked in games,teams are just to scared to attack and turn over the ball
speed them up i say not slow them down

So Stand rule comes in and instantly doesn't increase goals.
Q: Why doesn't Stokes get on the phone tell Gill to change it? How is Stokes' pressure exerted otherwise. Stokes has extended the deal for a couple more years. Is he an idiot? Making good money somewhere I'd suggest.

I rewatched and your correct. When the HSun give him Richmond CEO Brendon Gale slams ‘stand’ rule.
I trying to remember what the AFL were P""ed off at us about this year. Was it the Bolton at a night club thing?
Anyhow if Gale makes no mention of the rule. Brown has nothing to report.
I had enough already of dimmas divorce, and Bolton's broken arm, the comments about Richmond fans not wanting to go to Marvel etc.
But if Gale is doing it on purpose. Good luck. Distracting the media from something more important?

Anyhow if Gale makes no mention of the rule. Brown has nothing to report.
I had enough already of dimmas divorce, and Bolton's broken arm, the comments about Richmond fans not wanting to go to Marvel etc.
But if Gale is doing it on purpose. Good luck. Distracting the media from something more important?
Making a move on the head jobby at AFL house...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back