The Chinese Communist party are campaigners

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry 1) Don’t remember having a plan or stating anything about having a plan
2) Don’t remember using the term colonising, that was the term you chose.

you compared what china is doing buying resources around the world to what the English did with India.

They didnt by s**t from the Indians, the conquered them

you compared what china is doing buying resources around the world to what the English did with India.

They didnt by sh*t from the Indians, the conquered them
A lesson in history, the Mughals had a standing of 4 million men. There was no question of conquest. The Portuguese tried building an unauthorised fort in Bengal and were promptly expelled within days by the emperor.

A lesson in history, the Mughals had a standing of 4 million men. There was no question of conquest. The Portuguese tried building an unauthorised fort in Bengal and were promptly expelled within days by the emporer.

Queen Vic was Empress of India, and the mughals were here paid off bitches

It was the jewel in the crown of the british empire, and the english governor/colonial office ran the joint

india was conquered

are you seriously saying india was independent back then, and they just let the english look like they were running the show?

Not for resources

The joint is a drain economically, and the hanification of it is an expensive farce.

I would have traded off their independence years ago

A large part of China's Tibet strategy is about control of water

i havent looked at a tibetan map for rivers in ages (most of my work issues were about the ones feeding into the Mekong), but dont they feed into China ultimately anyway?

there isnt much ag opp in tibet, so even if an independent tibet went berserk with hydro and the like, it still needs to go somewhere, and its too expensive to send it to the southern neighbours

Tibet annoys me just because it makes no sense, it was just one of Mao's idiot notions, and china being china they wont hit rewind. as a buddhist i obv have other problems with the whole situation.

i havent looked at a tibetan map for rivers in ages (most of my work issues were about the ones feeding into the Mekong), but dont they feed into China ultimately anyway?

there isnt much ag opp in tibet, so even if an independent tibet went berserk with hydro and the like, it still needs to go somewhere, and its too expensive to send it to the southern neighbours
46% of the world's population depend on rivers that have their headwaters in Tibet.

Having control over their own water supply plus that of most of their regional neighbours gives China a huge geopolitical advantage.

Queen Vic was Empress of India, and the mughals were here paid off bitches

It was the jewel in the crown of the british empire, and the english governor/colonial office ran the joint

india was conquered

are you seriously saying india was independent back then, and they just let the english look like they were running the show?
Nice piece of selective history history you’ve got going there. I stand by my original observation regarding the belt and road initiative and the initial dealings between the Raj and the Indians.

46% of the world's population depend on rivers that have their headwaters in Tibet.

Having control over their own water supply plus that of most of their regional neighbours gives China a huge geopolitical advantage.

IN terms of controlling the Indus and the Ganges, what can they do?

they have a fist on the Mekong because they can dam that to such an extend in China that it becomes a non issue. geography kills that same opportunity with the indian rivers i'd guess

Nice piece of selective history history you’ve got going there. I stand by my original observation regarding the belt and road initiative and the initial dealings between the Raj and the Indians.

so if the english didnt take over india, how was victoria made its empress?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so if the english didnt take over india, how was victoria made its empress?
Okay, let’s back up a bit. The first dealings the British had with the Indian Mughal empire was from 1608 Under captain William Hawkins. In the 17th century Europeans had become used to easy military victories over peoples of the world. Captain Hawkins realised there was no question of any European nation attempting to this with the mughals. Only once during the entire 17th century did Raj try to use its strength against the Mughals, under the recklessly aggressive Sir Josiah Child, which ended, for him, in catastrophic circumstances. This occur some 73 years later in 1681. What you are referring to happened much later. In fact for the first 150 years the British and the Indians were on good terms until the arrival of Robert Clive in 1755.

Stuff like this.

These sorts of projects will become increasingly viable as global water scarcity rises.

there are a lot of questions on that - earthquakes in that area are very common. i suspect its more about leveraging an outcome on other border negotiations.

water or no water, china isnt giving up tibet anyway - it would mean acknowledging they are independent, which would mean they should never have invaded, which means saying mao was wrong. even now they dont say that (cultural revolution is 100% blamed on the wife and her lil gang)

Okay, let’s back up a bit. The first dealings the British had with the Indian Mughal empire was from 1608 Under captain William Hawkins. In the 17th century Europeans had become used to easy military victories over peoples of the world. Captain Hawkins realised there was no question of any European nation attempting to this with the mughals. Only once during the entire 17th century did Raj try to use its strength against the Mughals, under the recklessly aggressive Sir Josiah Child, which ended, for him, in catastrophic circumstances. This occur some 73 years later in 1681. What you are referring to happened much later. In fact for the first 150 years the British and the Indians were on good terms until the arrival of Robert Clive in 1755.

dont disagree, but the british were always there as colonists, not visitors (its what they did pretty much everywhere)

unlike today, england could play a long game back then

if you want a previous history equivalence, id say the american white fleet is more on par with B&R

Stuff like this.

These sorts of projects will become increasingly viable as global water scarcity rises.
Ha ha, it reminds me of Rockefeller and his oil fields. Food security if not already will be China’s most pressing concern as the decades wear on, only exacerbated by climate change and the changing dietary preferences of the rank and file.

The Chinese approach isn’t remotely like the Japanese, in fact it’s straight out of the playbook of the British Raj. Acquaint yourself with the locals, develop infrastructure for the purpose of transportation, mine the natural resources of value and ship them back to the motherland. Chinas greatest obstacle currently is access to chip technology. In fact they rely ASML in Amsterdam for their integrated circuit chips. An Embargo by the Dutch would disrupt Chinese ambitions in a major way.

ASML sell equipment to chip makers.

"ASML serves all major chipmakers. Its biggest clients are Samsung, TSMC and Intel".
Nearly all chip manufacturers Rely on the equipment ASML sell.
China don't make chips, Chinese companies make chips.

An embargo by the Dutch would result in their expansion plans going awry , but not disrupt their current production over the long term.
Their equipment is better than that made by Nikon or Canon, but that would not stop Chinese companies sourcing alternative equipment if they had to.
I'm also sure the Chinese government would be funding research to allow them to make the equipment in the long run.

ASML sell equipment to chip makers.

"ASML serves all major chipmakers. Its biggest clients are Samsung, TSMC and Intel".
Nearly all chip manufacturers Rely on the equipment ASML sell.
China don't make chips, Chinese companies make chips.

An embargo by the Dutch would result in their expansion plans going awry , but not disrupt their current production over the long term.
Their equipment is better than that made by Nikon or Canon, but that would not stop Chinese companies sourcing alternative equipment if they had to.
I'm also sure the Chinese government would be funding research to allow them to make the equipment in the long run.
My post requires an update. Under pressure from the Trump administration ASML have not renewed their export license with China for their chip manufacturing machine. Because the technology is dual purpose, in that it can be used in both consumer and military applications, The U.S. was able to convince the Dutch government to revoke the license on the grounds of national security in accordance with the Wasseaar Agreement.

I mostly blame Scummo and friends for the deterioration of the relationship, but there's no question that we needed to diversify our trading partners anyway because China has too much power over our economy. Ten years ago they nearly took control of our iron ore industry, which would have given them power over global iron ore prices and would be disastrous in the present state of relations.

Probably the only real alternative is fostering better relationships with India, Indonesia, Philippines and Vietnam, all of whom have populations over 100 million. Collectively they present a credible alternative market. Japan has already seen the value of strengthening these countries, assisting in many construction projects such as India's first high-speed rail line.

we needed to diversify our trading partners anyway
Australia's economy is very unsophisticated compared to other nations. We dig stuff up, sell Uni degrees, and show people our diminishing supply of koalas.

Australia's economy is very unsophisticated compared to other nations. We dig stuff up, sell Uni degrees, and show people our diminishing supply of koalas.
How do you suggest we change that? We have one of the world's highest minimum wages and costs of living, which makes manufacturing uncompetitive. And our IT and STEM sectors are too small for us to be real players in those industries. Since I'd rather not cut the minimum wage, the only thing I can see to save us is selling rocks and uni degrees to countries other than China.

How do you suggest we change that? We have one of the world's highest minimum wages and costs of living, which makes manufacturing uncompetitive. And our IT and STEM sectors are too small for us to be real players in those industries. Since I'd rather not cut the minimum wage, the only thing I can see to save us is selling rocks and uni degrees to countries other than China.

So we'll prop it up, and the minimum wage will come down ( in real terms ) , dragging all the other wages with it.
Gina will get rich from the rocks she sells, the rest of us will sell her coffee and mow her lawns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back