Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beveridge is contracted for another year and in talks to extend right now. Not getting him

Did you hear the Peter Gordon interview on 3AW on Sunday?

It was very interesting the way Gordon answered the questions. He confirmed that talks to extend haven’t commenced even though the club have suggested it.

When asked about re-signing a new contract he said he hoped it would happen and then said he was confident it would happen at ‘some stage’. But it seemed clear to me that he wasn’t definitive and that the club would extend Beveridge ASAP if it could.

That’s not to say it won’t happen but Peter Gordon is a pretty straight talker. He was camouflaging his comments as a clever lawyer does.

I think Beveridge is considering his next move. The only club that could possibly extract him would be St Kilda. He has deep and emotional ties with the club and the lure of success at the club may tempt him.

Unlikely, but not impossible, especially as the stars have aligned now if he had any ambitions to coach the club at some stage.

It was very interesting the way Gordon answered the questions. He confirmed that talks to extend haven’t commenced even though the club have suggested it.

When asked about re-signing a new contract he said he hoped it would happen and then said he was confident it would happen at ‘some stage’. But it seemed clear to me that he wasn’t definitive and that the club would extend Beveridge ASAP if it could.

That’s not to say it won’t happen but Peter Gordon is a pretty straight talker. He was camouflaging his comments as a clever lawyer does.

I think Beveridge is considering his next move. The only club that could possibly extract him would be St Kilda. He has deep and emotional ties with the club and the lure of success at the club may tempt him.

Unlikely, but not impossible, especially as the stars have aligned now if he had any ambitions to coach the club at some stage.
Well he has another year and no get out clause so yeah ... doubt it

Still think he signs another contract

There's three ways to be a mediocre leader of a high-performing team:

1: Be not liked or respected; and not feared or able to demand good performance
2: Be liked and respected; but not feared or able to demand good performance
3: Be not liked or respected; but feared and able to demand good performance

And only one way to be great:

4: Be liked and respected; and also feared and able to demand good performance

Richo was type 2, along with lots of other failed coaches: Spud Frawley at Richmond, Bolton at Carlton, Leppa at Brisbane. Probably also GT.

Watters was probably type 1.

Not many type 3s around these days, maybe Killigrew or someone like that.

Ross Lyon and Clarkson are type 4.

We need to find a type 4.

This is where the club needs to be bold & offer Bevo 6+ year deal

was just about to post this.

He should either fall on his sword and oversee a transition to a new CEO.
Why can’t he make a mistake. He didn’t appoint him. He did extend but the board approved it. He has done more good than bad as opposed to about the last 4 ceo who did no good only bad. The grass is not always greener. And if you think working in a huge debt hampers what you may really want to do then I’m surprised. The sack first culture never goes away. And looking at fault first never stops either. I think the last few things done by finnis and the club can only be a good thing.

As he should. Take away the human aspect of his colleague losing his job it was Finnis who gave the extension. If he had any decency he would be following Richo out the door. It’s time this kind of mismanagement at the Saints doesn’t go unpunished.

In my book Finnis has an enormous amount of credits in the bank. He took over an absolute basket case after Fraser & Nettlefold almost drove the club into the ground.

We have a $40m facility, are back in our bayside home and have left behind the scandalous days that saw us lose sponsorship after sponsorship. He may have become too focused in the off field social causes but if we had been winning that would have been celebrated as growing the club.

Mismanagement? That's laughable. I don't think Richo would have been sacked last year anyway... after 2 seasons of improvement, a shocking year can be put aside (just as Melbourne will this year).

Both spoke well. Are we allowed to say that. Glad nearly everyone has said the same.
Not on SEN, every so called saints supporters complaining about yhe sacking.

Apparently after 2/3 of a season the Hanners recruiting is a complete failure.

So old biddy complaining about Nathan Freeman and we have recruited an English cricketer,?

Makes the people on here look like football geniuses

Well I think it’s close. Sounds like everyone thinks we need experience. Ratten has 6 weeks to pass scott. I think we can safely say either Carlton or ratten have no interest in each other. That seems certain.

The words of Finnis and Basset have both made it clear that any suggestion of a pre-arranged handover is a case of chinese whispers.

In fact, I think it's made it that much harder for Scott to prove he's head & shoulders above any other candidate.

At least I hope it has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not on SEN, every so called saints supporters complaining about yhe sacking.

Apparently after 2/3 of a season the Hanners recruiting is a complete failure.

So old biddy complaining about Nathan Freeman and we have recruited an English cricketer,?

Makes the people on here look like football geniuses
Yes heard that. Was surprised but happy with those who said well done but it’s time. Each to their own. At least no idiot bagged him personally

This is where the club needs to be bold & offer Bevo 6+ year deal
If there is any chance whatsoever that he can be enticed out of there ( unlikely though it seems )
Then for sure we should throw all barrells straight at the chiselled campaigner!

In my view is exactly what we need!

I'm not so sure about that tbh. He had a rep. as a development coach and our crop of players from 2013 - 2016 is looking better than 2010 - 2012.

Obviously that's not all on the Head Coach and there's other variables, but consider that there are no drafted players from 2010 left on our list and one from 2012 (Pierce) which is the crop before Richo arrived and was able to cement himself in the club structure.

I think he's done the development job well but his weakness as a game day coach is just way too glaring to allow him to stay on, even with support.

I hope you are correct. I guess we will find out soon enough how much blame he should carry.

Scott doesn’t need to work next year he’s guaranteed his full salary courtesy of North Melbourne. The more I think about it the more I can’t see him working for his best mate. Carlton or a gap year IMO. I think it’s Rats job to lose. Win 3/6 & he probably gets it.

The words of Finnis and Basset have both made it clear that any suggestion of a pre-arranged handover is a case of chinese whispers.

In fact, I think it's made it that much harder for Scott to prove he's head & shoulders above any other candidate.

At least I hope it has.
Well we differ on the final point. As dal said we need a strong coach. Scott seems that. Wouldn’t be worried what is said publicly

i feel theres a tad mayo on that story ... its not as big a deal as you are implying it is
Well I think it’s close. Sounds like everyone thinks we need experience. Ratten has 6 weeks to pass scott. I think we can safely say either Carlton or ratten have no interest in each other. That seems certain.
Brett will never go back or even consider the Carlton job while some certain people are still at the club but dont be surprised if he does get interviewed for the position over there , people will ask my source , answer a bloody good one.

Don’t know where you got that misinformation from. But, then again, they get a lot of things wrong at St Kilda.
Our cemetery? It’s doing very well. We have 16 grand marble mausoleums containing premiership memorabilia. The St Kilda cemetery has one unattended concrete headstone, long in need of repair!

Your mausoleum is pretty run down itself champ. Probably a fair chance you weren't even alive when your cheating mob last saluted (and even that one is tainted).

GAGF mate

Richo inherited a basket case list. Yes he won a wooden spoon in his first year, but the club and our list is actually in a far better place now then when he arrived.

Yes he departs after 6 years with a 34% winning record. That's not great. But your mob has a 33% winning record and 5 wooden spoons since 2002.

Say what you want about Richo, but he is an upgrade on anything your arrogant, self-entitled embarrassment of a club has produced for almost two decades.

You and your club are simply irrelevant. You have been for most of the professional era (well since the AFL actually started pulling you up for cheating anyway). Best part is, looking through your list you will continue to be irrelevant long after the David Teague dead cat bounce wears off.

Now take the limited brain cells you have back to your board. Perhaps you can discuss what you could have done with all your draft picks had you not traded them to Adelaide for a handful of magic beans.
I wasn’t criticising Richo. I was responding to an aggressive post after I, accurately, observed that St Kilda has proven to be a graveyard in the past for ex Carlton greats. That’s just an historical fact. Perhaps Ratts will change that.
I have a lot of respect for Richo. He is a very genuine, decent person. He did his best. Football is a ruthless business.

Brett will never go back or even consider the Carlton job while some certain people are still at the club but dont be surprised if he does get interviewed for the position over there , people will ask my source , answer a bloody good one.
Seems strange to accept the job with us if he is a chance at Carlton.

Why can’t he make a mistake. He didn’t appoint him. He did extend but the board approved it. He has done more good than bad as opposed to about the last 4 ceo who did no good only bad. The grass is not always greener. And if you think working in a huge debt hampers what you may really want to do then I’m surprised. The sack first culture never goes away. And looking at fault first never stops either. I think the last few things done by finnis and the club can only be a good thing.
Totally wrong and emotive response.

O think he's been great, but sometimes you need a change IMO.

I'd also be looking at Hamill, Sexton and of course Blake...

I’m a Carlton supporter. Ratts returning to us just doesn’t feel right for him or the club.
History now tells us that he was a better coach at Carlton than he was given credit for being.
Since then he’s worked under Clarko, suffered personal tragedy and matured.
St Kilda could do a lot worse than appoint him as the new permanent coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back