Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is also the players panicking and taking the easiest possible option so they don't have to take responsibility once the ball is turned over.
Richo deserves blame for last years performance, but so do the players who are actively making woeful decisions with the ball.
Disposal has never been a priority so why would you expect it to be anything other than poor.

These guys joined our club as kids. Somewhat of a blank canvas. They're are reasonable to good kicks. Yet they're consistently bad.

Why?

Because I suspect they've never been expected to deliver on disposa minute to minute. We have never played with composure like fagan did with Brisbane. It's all about speed for us and depth. Move it fast. Get it as deep into 50 as you can. Because stats told richo the deeper it goes in the less like you are to be scored against and the more likely you are to score. Pity about the need for method hey richo.

Disposal has never been a priority so why would you expect it to be anything other than poor.

These guys joined our club as kids. Somewhat of a blank canvas. They're are reasonable to good kicks. Yet they're consistently bad.

Why?

Because I suspect they've never been expected to deliver on disposa minute to minute. We have never played with composure like fagan did with Brisbane. It's all about speed for us and depth. Move it fast. Get it as deep into 50 as you can. Because stats told richo the deeper it goes in the less like you are to be scored against and the more likely you are to score. Pity about the need for method hey richo.
If disposal has never been a priority and it stays that way, then
we are well and truly screwed!

Just cannot believe it wouldn't have been a heavy focus during the preseason. It just simply has to get a whole lot better
Most of last years skill level almost made us look suburban footy quality...The turnovers and long kicking to nothing
was plain embarrassing! It's always puzzled me that when you look at our players individually, there are not too many you can
Honestly say are woeful with the ball But as a collective under Richo so far it's been absolutely horrible and our biggest
Achilles heel! No doubt it has plenty to do with game plan, decision making and general confidence in one and other! But it has to be a massive
priority for this group, it's what stopped us from being a finals side the previous 2 years too imo!

Becoming cleaner by foot and hand is a Must in the modern game. For the most part i firmly believe most clubs effort is
there on a weekly basis, every game has a period of dominance and control of the footy at some point,
It therefore comes down to what you do with the footy when it's your turn! This is where we invariably fall short!

Just cannot believe it wouldn't have been a heavy focus during the preseason. It just simply has to get a whole lot better
Most of last years skill level almost made us look suburban footy quality...The turnovers and long kicking to nothing
was plain embarrassing! It's always puzzled me that when you look at our players individually, there are not too many you can
Honestly say are woeful with the ball But as a collective under Richo so far it's been absolutely horrible and our biggest
Achilles heel! No doubt it has plenty to do with game plan, decision making and general confidence in one and other! But it has to be a massive
priority for this group, it's what stopped us from being a finals side the previous 2 years too imo!

Becoming cleaner by foot and hand is a Must in the modern game. For the most part i firmly believe most clubs effort is
there on a weekly basis, every game has a period of dominance and control of the footy at some point,
It therefore comes down to what you do with the footy when it's your turn! This is where we invariably fall short!
Giving the ball up and scrambling in disoriented panic, mental disintegration when kicking at goal and players apparently ignoring Richo when he did his boundary line gig are all burned into my memory. Really was awful stuff. We have to be working on our disposal skills, anything less is professional suicide.

Why?

So are you in our out this year?

Are you putting your money where your mouth is?

So are you in our out this year?

Are you putting your money where your mouth is?
So this is a members only site ?

Sorry I dont recall asking you.

It's a fair question.

I want to see if people are willing to stand by the club and their so called passion, rather than s**t can it all the time.
No you didn't I was just curious
And to be fair some of the things he did point out are pretty close to the money.
Have you got your membership yet ;)

No you didn't I was just curious
And to be fair some of the things he did point out are pretty close to the money.
Have you got your membership yet ;)
Absolutely.

We have all vented, time to get behind the club and look forward IMO.

That said, there is a sense of entitlement among some posters that as members, they are entitled to criticise the club.

So it stands that if you are not then your entitlement shouldn't stand.

But that's neither here nor there.

The real test of passion and love for the club is to stand up and support it. IMO.

I have never once said that you can only post if you're a member.

Absolutely.

That said, there is a sense of entitlement among some posters that as members, they are entitled to criticise the club.

The real test of passion and love for the club is to stand up and support it. IMO.

Alright enough with the no true scotsman bs. Anyone's allowed to criticise the Saints because last year happened. Good for you for getting a membership and showing your support but stop gatekeeping criticism of st kilda, everyone's free to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely.

I'm inclined to agree!
Especially with that new AV! o_O

Didn't realise you were Jason Dunstall!
I swore i heard Spud Frawley scream out loud
Get your hands off me you filthy Ape!
Or it may have been everyone's favourite NRA poster boy,and the man
All Greeks despised for some reason! Forcing them to proclaim HESTO to HESTON! :moustache:

No entitlement here my friend, i proudly wear the membership with pride
To hide from all those other dubious organisations i also am a member of! :think:
And No it's not the Stonecutters! :handok:

It's a forum for discussion, not membership. If said discussion entails criticism - justified or not - then it is fair to say that the forum is serving its purpose for free opinion and views. This thread was initially called "Sack Richo." It is what it is.
Never said it was.

Asking the question. Same goes for others who were threatening to not renew?

Like I posted above, people bag the club and say its because they care and love the club.

They can post whatever they want.

Absolutely.

Dude that's a selfie. Offended!

Why?

These are both excellent posts and to me get to the heart of the problems we face as a footy team moving forward and why we are in the hole we are in now. I want to expand on a few points that are raised from this.

1. Teams play in a way that reflects the personality/philosophy of the head coach. All coaches have ideas on how the game should be played and what they think wins games of football. That is a reflection on their personality type, their playing experience and then their coaching experience. You can find out what their philosophy is by listening to what they say in interviews but mainly on how they perform as a team over time in match conditions (if we were in the inner-sanctum and could compare our training to other teams, we could also see differences here as well). What we can see is that, under Richardson, St Kilda are a team that bases our gameplan on pressure, tackling and quick ball movement. Looking at Richardson's previous Port Adelaide experience, it's no big surprise that Port played in a similar way when he was there.

2. Richardson has never had experience from a system that prioritizes precision skill execution in the modern game. This to me is a big worry. Skill execution under pressure and having composure needs to be drilled into players from the second they walk through the door of the club to the moment their career finishes. It has to be the bedrock of any gameplan, a non-negotiable. But it doesn't just happen over night. It needs to be worked on constantly. This is a fundamental issue for coaches like Richardson in modern sport who think the way they do... it is so hard to get them to understand that defense, tackling and pressure isn't the trump card it once was... you need to be creative to work through stifling defenses that every team has... there is no other way.

3. Linked to point 2, to be "creative" as a coach/tactician, you need to have reliable foot soldiers that you can paint your canvas with. But the foot soldiers need to have the right skill-set to do it with. This means they can execute their skills automatically and that they have the composure to think through situations. But this "footy IQ" takes time to develop, it doesn't just happen over night. But most players thrive when they are being developed right.

The beauty of a system where skills and "thinking" footballers are valued is that you end up being flexible to change your tactics based on the trends in the modern game. People marvel at how, after we smashed the Hawks by 70 odd points 2 seasons back through our manic pressure, they quickly got themselves back off the canvas and completely changed their gamestyle. It's because with the philosophy they have and the skill-set that their coaches and players have, they were able to, in season, come up with a different way of playing and implement it into game situations straight away. Players who can execute under pressure and have high footy IQs are handy this way.

4. More and more, the successful teams are ones that have sprung up out of the Clarkson philosophy when it comes to skill development and flexibility. From the Hawks 3-peat, to the Dogs (Bevo worked under Clarkson), to the Tigers (Hardwick worked under Clarkson), to the Eagles (Simpson worked under Clarkson, Mitchell was the midfield coach and a Clarkson captain). The only team really competing with those teams lately is Sydney coming from Roos. While a strong philosophy, it is more built on defence and, like Freo with Lyon (another Roos protege) their teams are not looking dynamic enough and still seem to be favoring a tackle/defense first approach. Geelong and Adelaide are hybrids that have looked promising at times but seem to wilt when it comes close to going all the way (teases). But they can certainly move the ball well so are worth watching to see if they can go all the way one day.

5. A big reason the Clarkson teams do so well is because they give the modern players the tools they need to survive in what is a tough league to succeed in nowadays with the pressure. Sure, they might have different tactical systems once they come into clubs but you can bet that all of the coaches that worked in the Hawks system value the ability to execute skills under pressure more than anything else and train their players accordingly from the minute they step into the club.

6. Which brings it back to us. We finally have someone at our club in Ratten from the Hawks system. How long will he take to have an effect? For me, it's a huge ask for both Ratten and the players to suddenly, after one pre-season, build up their footy IQ to a level that they can execute week-in week-out on the biggest stage. Even Clarkson himself would struggle to turn things around quickly with us because the players have had years stagnating. So I don't expect much with Richo still there as he just isn't a good fit for where the game is heading and doesn't have the skill-set to build up the footy IQ of a group of young men to compete with the Hawks and the bunch of other teams that have taken what they do and run with it.

Due to the coaching and development over the past few years, we are a long way behind a bunch of teams and I worry that Ratten is seen as the panacea to all of this. It's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on one guy, no matter how good he is. And remember, he is without Clarko and the whole infrastructure that the Hawks had in place. I can't see him doing what needs to be done at our club without a head coach and some other coaches that also has the Hawks development system coursing through his/their veins.

Last edited:
These are both excellent posts and to me get to the heart of the problems we face as a footy team moving forward and why we are in the hole we are in now. I want to expand on a few points that are raised from this.

1. Teams play in a way that reflects the personality/philosophy of the head coach. All coaches have ideas on how the game should be played and what they think wins games of football. That is a reflection on their personality type, their playing experience and then their coaching experience. You can find out what their philosophy is by listening to what they say in interviews but mainly on how they perform as a team over time in match conditions (if we were in the inner-sanctum and could compare our training to other teams, we could also see differences here as well). What we can see is that, under Richardson, St Kilda are a team that bases our gameplan on pressure, tackling and quick ball movement. Looking at Richardson's previous Port Adelaide experience, it's no big surprise that Port played in a similar way when he was there.

2. Richardson has never had experience from a system that prioritizes precision skill execution in the modern game. This to me is a big worry. Skill execution under pressure and having composure needs to be drilled into players from the second they walk through the door of the club to the moment their career finishes. It has to be the bedrock of any gameplan, a non-negotiable. But is doesn't just happen over night. It needs to be worked on constantly. This is a fundamental issue for coaches like Richardson in modern sport who think the way they do... it is so hard to get them to understand that defense, tackling and pressure isn't the trump card it once was... you need to be creative to work through stifling defenses that every team has... there is no other way.

3. Linked to point 2, to be "creative" as a coach/tactician, you need to have reliable foot soldiers that you can paint your canvas with. But the foot soldiers need to have the right skill-set to do it with. This means they can execute their skills automatically and that they have the composure to think through situations. But this "footy IQ" takes time to develop, it doesn't just happen over night. But most players thrive when they are being developed right.

The beauty of a system where skills and "thinking" footballers are valued is that you end up being flexible to change your tactics based on the trends in the modern game. People marvel at how, after we smashed the Hawks by 70 odd points 2 seasons back through our manic pressure, they quickly got themselves back off the canvas and completely changed their gamestyle. It's because with the philosophy they have and the skill-set that their coaches and players have, they were able to, in season, come up with a different way of playing and implement it into game situations straight away. Players who can execute under pressure and have high footy IQs are handy this way.

4. More and more, the successful teams are ones that have sprung up out of the Clarkson philosophy when it comes to skill development and flexibility. From the Hawks 3-peat, to the Dogs (Bevo worked under Clarkson), to the Tigers (Hardwick worked under Clarkson), to the Eagles (Simpson worked under Clarkson, Mitchell was the midfield coach and a Clarkson captain). The only team really competing with those teams lately is Sydney coming from Roos. While a strong philosophy, it is more built on defence and, like Freo with Lyon (another Roos protege) their teams are not looking dynamic enough and still seem to be favoring a tackle/defense first approach. Geelong and Adelaide are hybrids that have looked promising at times but seem to wilt when it comes close to going all the way (teases). But they can certainly move the ball well so are worth watching to see if they can go all the way one day.

5. A big reason the Clarkson teams do so well is because they give the modern players the tools they need to survive in what is a tough league to succeed in nowadays with the pressure. Sure, they might have different tactical systems once they come into clubs but you can bet that all of the coaches that worked in the Hawks system value the ability to execute skills under pressure more than anything else and train their players accordingly from the minute they step into the club.

6. Which brings it back to us. We finally have someone at our club in Ratten from the Hawks system. How long will he take to have an effect? For me, it's a huge ask for both Ratten and the players to suddenly, after one pre-season, build up their footy IQ to a level that they can execute week-in week-out on the biggest stage. Even Clarkson himself would struggle to turn things around quickly with us because the players have had years stagnating. So I don't expect much with Richo still there as he just isn't a good fit for where the game is heading and doesn't have the skill-set to build up the footy IQ of a group of young men to compete with the Hawks and the bunch of other teams that have taken what they do and run with it.

Due to the coaching and development over the past few years, we are a long way behind a bunch of teams and I worry that Ratten is seen as the panacea to all of this. It's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on one guy, no matter how good he is. And remember, he is without Clarko and the whole infrastructure that the Hawks had in place. I can't see him doing what needs to be done at our club without a head coach and some other coaches that also has the Hawks development system coursing through his/their veins.
This is a fantastic post! Agree with all sentiments here, explained really well
With the exception of doubting whether any team with fundamental flaws
Can turn it around in one year? I believe they can, momentum and the total belief required with the right buy in
has seen sides do it in the past in spades!

Albeit coming off a slightly higher base, but not much....
Bulldogs
Rich
Coll
WCE
Only prob is most of those teams come from the Clarkson model you speak of! So i have
defeated my own argument! :oops:

Our disposal count and disposal efficiency is generally good. It's that last kick to our forward line that really hurts us, especially when we have momentum, we cook it up. And our decision making once again relates to that last kick into the forward line, our gameplan bomb it long, but we continuously bomb it long to contests like 1 on 2/3, not giving our Key forwards a chance nor our small forwards.

Our disposal count and disposal efficiency is generally good. It's that last kick to our forward line that really hurts us, especially when we have momentum, we cook it up. And our decision making once again relates to that last kick into the forward line, our gameplan bomb it long, but we continuously bomb it long to contests like 1 on 2/3, not giving our Key forwards a chance nor our small forwards.
Either we bomb it long or our key forward actually has a good lead and we kick it to the smallest guy in the forward line in a 3 on 1.

Either we bomb it long or our key forward actually has a good lead and we kick it to the smallest guy in the forward line in a 3 on 1.
I still cant get this one play. Cant remember who but, we kicked it long to Lonie who was against a key back and a small defender. Like wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back