Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surely it’s about this year not the previous years especially the first couple.

You think a decision will be made on one year & the rest of his coaching career will be ignored? That’s just silly.

If he wins a final then the previous years won’t matter. That’s the only exception.

You think a decision will be made on one year & the rest of his coaching career will be ignored? That’s just silly.

If he wins a final then the previous years won’t matter. That’s the only exception.
The rest won’t be ignored but what 5 and 6 years ago has nothing to do with what happens next year. It’s pretty simple really. The people making the decision will have all the facts like injuries buy in and wins and losses. I don’t believe it’s anywhere as simple as winning a final or even making the 8. Obviously if we win 6 to 8 games he will go. More than that and other factors will be taken into account. One of those will be who they think is available

The rest won’t be ignored but what 5 and 6 years ago has nothing to do with what happens next year. It’s pretty simple really. The people making the decision will have all the facts like injuries buy in and wins and losses. I don’t believe it’s anywhere as simple as winning a final or even making the 8. Obviously if we win 6 to 8 games he will go. More than that and other factors will be taken into account. One of those will be who they think is available

I’ve obviously never been involved in an afl club but in all workplaces I’ve been involved in you take into account the full picture when conducting a thorough review.

To measure aspects of Richo’s coaching you need to look at the full picture. What if a criticism & area of development was to improve his communication skills & he hasn’t improved. You need to look at his career collectively with other aspects including what you mentioned.

If the club see it differently then it’s being run by amateurs. Luckily I very much doubt it is & there will be a far more considered approach rather than only looking at 12 months data.

OK so if we look at the last 6 years then 16 & 17 must also be taken into account.

I suspect some people aren't coping well with our improvement.

I’ve obviously never been involved in an afl club but in all workplaces I’ve been involved in you take into account the full picture when conducting a thorough review.

To measure aspects of Richo’s coaching you need to look at the full picture. What if a criticism & area of development was to improve his communication skills & he hasn’t improved. You need to look at his career collectively with other aspects including what you mentioned.

If the club see it differently then it’s being run by amateurs. Luckily I very much doubt it is & there will be a far more considered approach rather than only looking at 12 months data.
So if an employee is told where to improve and starts meeting kpis then you still sack them right?

LMAO.

We don’t need to, Richo will throw him under the bus along with past assistants, the list manager & the players. He will just say he wasn’t provided the correct people to have a chance at being successful.

In all seriousness, I don’t believe sacking Richo will do a hell of a lot in the short term. However, I think at the end of the year the club needs a circuit breaker. A new person in front of the camera & a new voice.

Yes he inherited a poor list in an inconvenient time with the inception of the expansion clubs but when is enough enough? One of the longest serving coaches, with an extremely poor winning percentage & has never taken his team to finals.

Sometimes you just need a change for changes sake. I think it’s inevitable.
Fact of the matter is that many thought we'd start the season 1-7 or 0-8 and those same people still want him sacked after 4-4. We've been beaten once interstate and three times to two teams in red hot form and last years premiers.

Our entry and scoring is quite clearly our biggest issue yet nobody has questioned Ratten about it. I think some people just want to put the blame on Richo regardless of what's happening. 1-7 or 0-8? Sack him. 4-4? Sack him. If we make the finals and lose in the first week I'm sure many on here will still want him sacked which would be very funny!

Agree they will take everything into account which will be weighted heavily to this year otherwise they wouldn’t have a clause in the contract this year. For those wanting richo gone it’s not as simple as winning a final because as you said hopefully we aren’t run by amateurs

Fact of the matter is that many thought we'd start the season 1-7 or 0-8 and those same people still want him sacked after 4-4. We've been beaten once interstate and three times to two teams in red hot form and last years premiers.

Our entry and scoring is quite clearly our biggest issue yet nobody has questioned Ratten about it. I think some people just want to put the blame on Richo regardless of what's happening. 1-7 or 0-8? Sack him. 4-4? Sack him. If we make the finals and lose in the first week I'm sure many on here will still want him sacked which would be very funny!

I certainly haven’t put sole blame on Richo I just think after 6 years if he can’t take his team to finals then his time is up. We’ve arsed up a lot of things on & off field over the years. Worst era I can remember. If he makes finals he’s safe as houses IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree they will take everything into account which will be weighted heavily to this year otherwise they wouldn’t have a clause in the contract this year. For those wanting richo gone it’s not as simple as winning a final because as you said hopefully we aren’t run by amateurs

There you go we agree. They will always weight more heavily recent data.

Last edited:

Agree with what you say, I just think it's mire sad than funny.

Anyway, here's my take...

Club will review everything including the impact of new assistants, players input, wins etc.

If they have come to the decision that he's not the one to take us forward, he's gone.

If someone is available who they think will do a better job, he's gone.

If we improve and win around 10 games and player feedback is good, he will stay not withstanding the first two scenarios.

We don’t need to, Richo will throw him under the bus along with past assistants, the list manager & the players. He will just say he wasn’t provided the correct people to have a chance at being successful.

In all seriousness, I don’t believe sacking Richo will do a hell of a lot in the short term. However, I think at the end of the year the club needs a circuit breaker. A new person in front of the camera & a new voice.

Yes he inherited a poor list in an inconvenient time with the inception of the expansion clubs but when is enough enough? One of the longest serving coaches, with an extremely poor winning percentage & has never taken his team to finals.

Sometimes you just need a change for changes sake. I think it’s inevitable.
Summed it up perfectly.

I certainly haven’t put sole blame on Richo I just think after 6 years if he can’t take his team to finals then his time is up. We’ve arsed up a lot of things on & off field over the years. Worst era I can remember. If he makes finals he’s safe as houses IMO.
I just think people need to look at it objectively. It's not like we have been s**t for 6 straight years. We've had years we've won 10-12 games isince he took over. His first two years we must admit that he took over a team going absolutely nowhere so some credence needs to be given here. 2018 was a complete balls up no doubt about it, but at the moment it seems to be a once off.

Fair enough that when things go pear shaped people will attack the head coach, but if anyone wants to really analyse why things are the way they are then you'd probably find that it's a mixture of a lot of things - including the entire coaching group, given the fact that we appointed Ratten to fix a main area of our game and he has failed to do so. I think that needs to be addressed. Effort from the players can't be questioned and our back six have been superb despite major injuries to key position players and our skipper. 8 straight weeks now of less than 100pts. We seem to get it in there a lot but it's all cheap entry - bombs to packs and outnumbers. Any team can have 60 inside 50's a game doing that. I've no doubt that we would be a top four side if we fixed our entry.

And I know he has a clause to win a final this year but that clause is only for an automatic extension. He can still extend his contract if he doesn't win a final - when the club sits down with him and evaluates everything. We would be an amateur club if we sacked a coach just coming off a finals series.

I'm not so much annoyed at the negativity surrounding the coach as much as I am at others failure (or ignorance) to recognise that it's much deeper than that. It's the coaching as a whole. It's the recruitment, it's the players themselves, and sometimes it's just bad luck. Richo has the final say on many things but he doesn't have the only say.

Agree with what you say, I just think it's mire sad than funny.

Anyway, here's my take...

Club will review everything including the impact of new assistants, players input, wins etc.

If they have come to the decision that he's not the one to take us forward, he's gone.

If someone is available who they think will do a better job, he's gone.

If we improve and win around 10 games and player feedback is good, he will stay not withstanding the first two scenarios.
Yes I agree with you. It's very simple. If he isn't up to it he goes. And I'm OK with that. I am not an advocate for Richo - I have thought personally that he is not up to it but I can also understand that it's not just him and that with a new coaching group around him it seems like so far things have improved greatly.

Call me crazy but 4-4 with lots of players to come back is a good platform. Don't see why we'd write off the season right now, finals are still a big possibility. And we wouldn't sack him if we make finals.
I'm still really bullish about our chances to make a push for the eight this year. As you said, 4-4 is a great platform to launch from and I have felt the same way. Even if we lose to the Pies on Saturday I still like our chances. 4-5 with a much easier schedule should give us a real chance.

I just think people need to look at it objectively. It's not like we have been **** for 6 straight years. We've had years we've won 10-12 games isince he took over. His first two years we must admit that he took over a team going absolutely nowhere so some credence needs to be given here. 2018 was a complete balls up no doubt about it, but at the moment it seems to be a once off.

Fair enough that when things go pear shaped people will attack the head coach, but if anyone wants to really analyse why things are the way they are then you'd probably find that it's a mixture of a lot of things - including the entire coaching group, given the fact that we appointed Ratten to fix a main area of our game and he has failed to do so. I think that needs to be addressed. Effort from the players can't be questioned and our back six have been superb despite major injuries to key position players and our skipper. 8 straight weeks now of less than 100pts. We seem to get it in there a lot but it's all cheap entry - bombs to packs and outnumbers. Any team can have 60 inside 50's a game doing that. I've no doubt that we would be a top four side if we fixed our entry.

And I know he has a clause to win a final this year but that clause is only for an automatic extension. He can still extend his contract if he doesn't win a final - when the club sits down with him and evaluates everything. We would be an amateur club if we sacked a coach just coming off a finals series.

I'm not so much annoyed at the negativity surrounding the coach as much as I am at others failure (or ignorance) to recognise that it's much deeper than that. It's the coaching as a whole. It's the recruitment, it's the players themselves, and sometimes it's just bad luck. Richo has the final say on many things but he doesn't have the only say.

I certainly recognise that its more complex than saying it’s only Richo’s fault. I’ve consistently posted that we have got many things which you mentioned wrong which has collectively put us in the position. But this is a topic dedicated to Richo so naturally his position will be talked about more than others.

I’m not sold on Rats just yet. Certainly not writing him off either. We just need to see the impact he has on the group over a longer period. Like that he brings Clarko IP though.

I'm still really bullish about our chances to make a push for the eight this year. As you said, 4-4 is a great platform to launch from and I have felt the same way. Even if we lose to the Pies on Saturday I still like our chances. 4-5 with a much easier schedule should give us a real chance.
After Collingwood, there are only two games left that we wouldn't have at least a 50% chance of winning - Geelong in Geelong and Adelaide in Adelaide.

Way too early to give up on this season.

I certainly recognise that its more complex than saying it’s only Richo’s fault. I’ve consistently posted that we have got many things which you mentioned wrong which has collectively put us in the position. But this is a topic dedicated to Richo so naturally his position will be talked about more than others.

I’m not sold on Rats just yet. Certainly not writing him off either. We just need to see the impact he has on the group over a longer period. Like that he brings Clarko IP though.
Apologies mate I don't come in here too often so probably missed your other posts about it. Yes definitely not writing off Ratten either but I reckon we need to keep our eyes on it because a lot of our deficiencies have been masked by wins so now that we've had a couple of weeks of losing and generally being outplayed those deficiencies are more evident. In the GWS game last week I noticed (like many others) our entry but I also was worried about our inability to score. Going into this week I made sure I kept an eye on it and it seems like nothing changed. I'm really worried about it. Can't win many games kicking 60-70 points. We play a very taxing, dire brand of football and whilst it means we will most likely be in a lot of games, it also gives the players little reward for effort. I think it's an intentional move by the coaching group to limit the blowouts. Not sure how I feel about it.

I just think people need to look at it objectively. It's not like we have been **** for 6 straight years. We've had years we've won 10-12 games isince he took over. His first two years we must admit that he took over a team going absolutely nowhere so some credence needs to be given here. 2018 was a complete balls up no doubt about it, but at the moment it seems to be a once off.

We've never been good under Richo though. We've had some good moments but I haven't seen an actually good Saints team in 9 years. I don't get why you're getting so defensive on his behalf either, not like anyone is saying you should be sacked. People are pointing out that we have statistically the worst coach in VFL/AFL history. I don't care if he took over a s**t list at a s**t time, I've said it before and I'll say it again, other coaches have done the same and NOT become the statistically worst coach in VFL/AFL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back