Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is an attempt to support richo but mate this is a hilarious time span.

What kind of absurd cherry picking is 4 years?

Richo has coached 5 years and Worsfold has only had 3 years at Essendon. The first year he had a team made up of VFL hacks after 12 of his players were suspended, mostly from his best 22, and you know what he won 3 games that year - one less than richo did this year after Richo claimed we have enough talent to be challenging for the flag, for the second year in a row.

I don't even rate Worsfold that much but the dude has coached for 15 seasons, 18 finals and has a W/L rate of over 50%

The only reason we have to still put up with an insipid richo is because of a disastrous contractual bungle by our administration, the entire football community knows that he is on the plank - you don't think that comes into consideration at all for prospective star?

The fact that Richos record is well below Fitzroy at the time they folded is alarming to me let alone potential star recruits.
It is what it is - a breakdown of the respective records of three AFL coaches over the past four years.

I'm pleased to see that its OK to make excuses for Worsfold having a crap year but the same doesn't apply for Richo.
As Worsfolds coaching records of ten years ago - relevance to today's game?

Some here hang s**t on Ross for stuffing the list and for some reason think he isn't a good coach.

Fact of the matter is that we were contending during those years with facilities that were 2nd rate, and if not for a toepoke and bad bounce he would be a 2x St.Kilda premiership coach and we wouldn't give a s**t how bad the list was afterwards.

It's laughable that people think he's no good because he didn't take us to a flag. He probably got as close to a flag as anyone in the history of the game, and the fact he was just short shouldn't discredit any of his prior work. It's ridiculous to even think like that.
Well said. I wish we had him back.

Critics forget that our cap was screwed due to his predecessor, meaning we had to take scraps and play role players as a result.

It is what it is - a breakdown of the respective records of three AFL coaches over the past four years.

I'm pleased to see that its OK to make excuses for Worsfold having a crap year but the same doesn't apply for Richo.
As Worsfolds coaching records of ten years ago - relevance to today's game?
You've got to be kidding dude, a breakdown?

It isn't 'what it is' as Worsfold wasn't even coaching 4 years ago.

I reckon anyone with half a brain would dismiss Worsfolds 2016 with literally a VFL list, which coincidentally is on par with two of richos seasons..

Right now Richo is right up there in the worst performing coaches in the history of the sport and there is no way Essendon would be putting up with his horrendous performances… Worsfold is still under serious pressure despite having two 12 win seasons which we were lauding for richo and giving him early extensions over.

Some here hang s**t on Ross for stuffing the list and for some reason think he isn't a good coach.

Fact of the matter is that we were contending during those years with facilities that were 2nd rate, and if not for a toepoke and bad bounce he would be a 2x St.Kilda premiership coach and we wouldn't give a s**t how bad the list was afterwards.

It's laughable that people think he's no good because he didn't take us to a flag. He probably got as close to a flag as anyone in the history of the game, and the fact he was just short shouldn't discredit any of his prior work. It's ridiculous to even think like that.

he WAS an amazing coach

now he's extremely meh

he WAS an amazing coach

now he's extremely meh
Fair enough but criticize him for now and not for before. Just idiotic to think what he did with our side was a bad thing. Best years of my life supporting the Saints was with him in charge.

Fair enough but criticize him for now and not for before. Just idiotic to think what he did with our side was a bad thing. Best years of my life supporting the Saints was with him in charge.

hard to argue with that. must admit that 09 season gave me tremendous joy, except for the ending.

I want rid of him. I think he’s gash.

I hope I am right if he is only able to turn it around as far as getting us up to mid table again (the draw will take care of that).

I hope I am wrong if he is able to turn us into a team capable of contending for a flag.

Just can’t see where the change comes from. Unless he has a different persona away from the camera I don’t think he can inspire our team to get close.
I think he's gash. Gold! Haven't heard that term in years. Sums TMBK up perfectly though.

And sack Richo.

I haven't been keeping up to date with this story. Is Richo staying then?
:( :(
Looks that way, sadly man!
You wouldn't believe it, if it were any other club i know!

Stick with us though bud, as i'm told we are close to talking
David Moyes out of retirement!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:( :(
Looks that way, sadly man!
You wouldn't believe it, if it were any other club i know!

Stick with us though bud, as i'm told we are close to talking
David Moyes out of retirement!
I shall stay with Saints for sure, but I think Richo's continued tenure would be a mistake. The club needs a new approach; Richo has had five years and delivered nothing. Will he got close to finals next year? Not for me.

You've got to be kidding dude, a breakdown?

It isn't 'what it is' as Worsfold wasn't even coaching 4 years ago.

I reckon anyone with half a brain would dismiss Worsfolds 2016 with literally a VFL list, which coincidentally is on par with two of richos seasons..

Right now Richo is right up there in the worst performing coaches in the history of the sport and there is no way Essendon would be putting up with his horrendous performances… Worsfold is still under serious pressure despite having two 12 win seasons which we were lauding for richo and giving him early extensions over.
Like I said - apparently its OK to discount Worsfold's (and every other coaches) bad years due to list issues but the same logic is not applied to Richo.

Simple fact is that his record for 16/17/18 is comparable to Worsfolds 16/17/18 years. So if you reckon that means Worsfold can coach, then logically the same assessment must be apply to Richo.

One question for future reference - who do you reckon has the better list for 2019?

Like I said - apparently its OK to discount Worsfold's (and every other coaches) bad years due to list issues but the same logic is not applied to Richo.

Simple fact is that his record for 16/17/18 is comparable to Worsfolds 16/17/18 years. So if you reckon that means Worsfold can coach, then logically the same assessment must be apply to Richo.

One question for future reference - who do you reckon has the better list for 2019?
2016 for essendon was a one time only anomaly, a situation that no other coach is likely to face ever, not sure why you are continuing that line. I would love to see us play a whole season missing our best 12 players.

Win/Loss rates aside, surely you would acknowledge that having uncertainty around the head coaches tenure would impact our ability to attract players? That was my main point TBH.

Adding Smith, Saad, Stringer & Shiel would improve our team significantly and I think they would be the difference between who has a better list at this stage. Pity we can't land players like that at the moment.

Last edited:
Very interesting stats there pebbles....I didn't realize that Worsfold was only 2% ahead of Richo in winning %.
For reference sake watto
Worsfold had a 54% W/L rate at West Coast over 12 years
And has a 40% W/L rate at Essendon in 3 seasons, which includes 2016. Is 54% at Essendon with a full AFL team

Richo is going at 33% which may well drop further before he is sacked next year.

Well he did a good job and got us into finals, but we didn't win a GF, so he joins the list of cooda-been coaches. Still waiting now for flag# 2
I guess so. He is very very unlucky!

For reference sake watto
Worsfold had a 54% W/L rate at West Coast over 12 years
And has a 40% W/L rate at Essendon in 3 seasons, which includes 2016. Is 54% at Essendon with a full AFL team

Richo is going at 33% which may well drop further before he is sacked next year.
Thanks for the stats there kernel.....I'd realized after I'd posted that I'd forgotten about 2016......as you say...that year for the Bombers was one that in all probability won't be repeated.....and as you say....can't be used for comparisons.

All things considered....Richo's win/loss record isn't good....the club is in a very unique situation where from the outside looking in,going into next season.......he's a dead coach walking.

I for one am praying that a stronger team of people around him will turn things around...…...and if that does happen....is it a result of the stronger team around him or due to Richo.

I suspect the former as what I have observed/listened to with Richo ...well......he doesn't fill me with any confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back