Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts on Bevo if he becomes available?

There is a bit of a vibe of getting a guy who won the lottery to be your financial adviser about him. I'm not sure.

Except a lottery is a fluke. Getting a side who is near the bottom to win a flag 2 years later isn’t a fluke. A heap of luck but no fluke.

Everything went right for him that's for sure. I'm not sure how good a coach he is because he has had one great year and plenty of average to poor ones. Perhaps that's a better explanation.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Everything went right for him that's for sure. I'm not sure how good a coach he is because he has had one great year and plenty of average to poor ones. Perhaps that's a better explanation.
Their list was pretty poor yet he got them to a flag. It’s not like he was coaching a very good side. Considering we haven’t had to many premiership coaches coaching us it would be a terrific get if richo is sacked and bevo leaves. I’m sure he would love to come to us if all things were aligned just for his old man.

Interesting. Not concerned about the past two years?

If we win 12 but miss finals & Bevo is available who would you choose to coach us out of Bevo & Richo? This is a realistic dilemma IMO.

Before you offer him the job I suggest you go and read the Doggies thread on this game. Sounds a lot like us last year.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Would fit well with Jake and Hannas.

Seriously though, more tactical ability than Richo
Not only that, he’s climbed to the top of the mountain once - a proven performer when it counts most with a club like ours. No mean feat at all.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Before you offer him the job I suggest you go and read the Doggies thread on this game. Sounds a lot like us last year.

Yea I don’t think it’s a simple yes just because he’s won a flag. He might be cooked like Blight, Pagan & Malthouse were after they’d won flags at previous club/s. RTB similar. He’s been worked out & not sure he can turn things around.

Watching the Dogs games they still play with a great deal of intensity & win their fair share of contested ball, which suggests they are still trying, so not sure the players have checked out. This puts the spot light on the coaching & gameplan IMO.

Perhaps Bevo had the boys overachieve in 2016 but the fall has been huge. From flag to 11 & then 8 wins.

Buyer beware IMO.

Yea I don’t think it’s a simple yes just because he’s won a flag. He might be cooked like Blight, Pagan & Malthouse were after they’d won flags at previous club/s. RTB similar. He’s been worked out & not sure he can turn things around.

Watching the Dogs games they still play with a great deal of intensity & win their fair share of contested ball, which suggests they are still trying, so not sure the players have checked out. This puts the spot light on the coaching & gameplan IMO.

Perhaps Bevo had the boys overachieve in 2016 but the fall has been huge. From flag to 11 & then 8 wins.

Buyer beware IMO.

I think everything just fell into place for them that year.
The introduction of the bye week before the finals allowed quite a few of their injured players more recovery time and from a completely neutral perspective I think the umpiring of their last couple of matches was pretty iffy and Dog-centric.

Make no mistake, they were an irresistible team and Bevo’s coaching and the way he motivated them seemed to be first class, but luck always plays a big part.

Sounds like their supporters are pretty disillusioned with his recent coaching and list management though. Got to remember that the grass is not always greener etc. Ratten being given the flick for Malthouse is a case in point.

2u9mv14.jpg

HahahahHhH that is absolute gold Spacey.

So if he were to face say an injury list of 10-12 players for the full year and those include the likes of Robbo and Carlisle you wouldn't be happy if the club scored between 8-11 wins?

I’ll be happy with 6 wins with our injuries list.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
The introduction of the bye week before the finals allowed quite a few of their injured players more recovery time and from a completely neutral perspective I think the umpiring of their last couple of matches was pretty iffy and Dog-centric.

Make no mistake, they were an irresistible team and Bevo’s coaching and the way he motivated them seemed to be first class, but luck always plays a big part.

Sounds like their supporters are pretty disillusioned with his recent coaching and list management though. Got to remember that the grass is not always greener etc. Ratten being given the flick for Malthouse is a case in point.

I think he did what Lyon almost did with us.

He got all his bottom players to buy in and perform out of their skins for one year.

Apart from their stars, a lot of those players haven't backed it up.

Also add the list changes since 2016.

I would have thought over achieving with an ordinary list is a major plus, as opposed to Scott who took over the best team of last decade and really done nothing since, despite the big name recruits.

It's amusing that people bag Richo because he hasn't come from a premiership system, and yet there are doubts over Bevo.

Not many coaches in the history of the game have won more than one flag.

At the moment, Bevo is averaging one flag in 4 years.

A lot of it comes down to the planets aligning between coach, list and era.

To say a coachbis cooked after 4 years is typically of the younger generations disposable attitude IMO. Shiny new object, throw it away and go the upgrade when the novelty wears off.

The great coaches if the modern era won their flags over a decade or more... Malthouse, Matthews, Sheedy.

Even Pagan was in the system for many years.

Interesting. Not concerned about the past two years?

If we win 12 but miss finals & Bevo is available who would you choose to coach us out of Bevo & Richo? This is a realistic dilemma IMO.
Beast mode.

042BF47A-3510-4701-ABFB-9699AD8280E1.jpeg

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders

He got all his bottom players to buy in and perform out of their skins for one year.

I would have thought over achieving with an ordinary list is a major plus, as opposed to Scott who took over the best team of last decade and really done nothing since, despite the big name recruits.

It's amusing that people bag Richo because he hasn't come from a premiership system, and yet there are doubts over Bevo.

To say a coachbis cooked after 4 years is typically of the younger generations disposable attitude IMO. Shiny new object, throw it away and go the upgrade when the novelty wears off.

The great coaches if the modern era won their flags over a decade or more... Malthouse, Matthews, Sheedy.

Spot on.

Am a massive Bevo fan, I have no doubts about him.

The thing with their downturn is a club like them (and us if we did) breaking such a drought was pretty likely to have a premiership hangover. The list looks pretty different to how it did back then... he's really taken an axe to it as well as had retirements/trades etc. as well as trying to deal with inevitable egos from a premiership. He's trying to build a new list with a new direction... it will take time. I seriously doubt Gordon or anyone else at the club is having doubts about him. If he is , he's pretty stupid and short-sighted in my opinion.

With the list he had, he had a major impact straight away, fashioned a gameplan, got them to buy-in and went all the way within a couple of years. Very very hard to do and shows his skills. That he did it at a club like the Bulldogs and Saints gives it even more merit.

Gringo has always says he doesn’t want just one good year which for a saints supporter seems strange. If we won a flag I don’t care if we relegated 2 years later

I would hate to do a Bradbury, I want respect not luck.

They had the best umpiring run in history which helped.

Jan 26, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne United
Would be good to get ratten out the front of the camera a bit more this season. Based on the Linton street video, he seems more engaging in the media than Richo.

I would hate to do a Bradbury, I want respect not luck.

I don't really mind, just want to see one.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC

Yes people want to get rid of Richo but have doubts on a premiership coach who had some luck. We want the perfect coach but why would they want us. If he wants us thats about as perfect as we will get.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes people want to get rid of Richo but have doubts on a premiership coach who had some luck. We want the perfect coach but why would they want us. If he wants us thats about as perfect as we will get.
For the last months people have been banging on about the importance of having a coach come from a successful system.

So it makes sense that we should pass on a recent premiership coach

This bed is too soft... This bed is too hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back