Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Spot on.

Am a massive Bevo fan, I have no doubts about him.

The thing with their downturn is a club like them (and us if we did) breaking such a drought was pretty likely to have a premiership hangover. The list looks pretty different to how it did back then... he's really taken an axe to it as well as had retirements/trades etc. as well as trying to deal with inevitable egos from a premiership. He's trying to build a new list with a new direction... it will take time. I seriously doubt Gordon or anyone else at the club is having doubts about him. If he is , he's pretty stupid and short-sighted in my opinion.

With the list he had, he had a major impact straight away, fashioned a gameplan, got them to buy-in and went all the way within a couple of years. Very very hard to do and shows his skills. That he did it at a club like the Bulldogs and Saints gives it even more merit.
I'm a fan but with the rider he hasn't read the changing tactics too well in the last year or two, and believe just like plenty of his players
That he too has suffered a premiership hangover! But your right having scaled the mountain with a club like the dogs is a massive achievement
And for that first 2 or 3 years there he appeared to be brilliant at reading the tactical nature of the game and introduced a game plan that suited
A good but not great team and they somehow won the whole bloody thing! Tis no small feat!

I also would not be comparing Lyon to Bevo! In any way as what Beveridge did with an ordinary club is monumental
Compared to the All Stars Lyon had at his disposal and yet no Happy ending for us! Story of my life that....No Happy Ending! :sick:

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
For the last months people have been banging on about the importance of having a coach come from a successful system.

So it makes sense that we should pass on a recent premiership coach

This bed is too soft... This bed is too hard...
I actually that problem with pillows. Would love an solution

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Spot on.

Am a massive Bevo fan, I have no doubts about him.

The thing with their downturn is a club like them (and us if we did) breaking such a drought was pretty likely to have a premiership hangover. The list looks pretty different to how it did back then... he's really taken an axe to it as well as had retirements/trades etc. as well as trying to deal with inevitable egos from a premiership. He's trying to build a new list with a new direction... it will take time. I seriously doubt Gordon or anyone else at the club is having doubts about him. If he is , he's pretty stupid and short-sighted in my opinion.

With the list he had, he had a major impact straight away, fashioned a gameplan, got them to buy-in and went all the way within a couple of years. Very very hard to do and shows his skills. That he did it at a club like the Bulldogs and Saints gives it even more merit.

Even the great Clarko took 5 years to win his 2nd flag. Let's not forget...

Even the great Clarko took 5 years to win his 2nd flag. Let's not forget...
Yes but GT won a flag within 2 years.

FC631539-7CF2-4588-9A32-1D0DF4DA64CC.jpeg

For the last months people have been banging on about the importance of having a coach come from a successful system.

So it makes sense that we should pass on a recent premiership coach

This bed is too soft... This bed is too hard...

Until he has a list similar to the one he has now and he's not winning Premierships and they all whine about how s**t he is. I would rather keep Ratten to be honest. I rate him higher, he had the same list that Malthouse inherited after coming off a premiership but got more out of them. The Dogs had a solid middling list and won a premiership, it was a good part of just being the right time and the right place and all the cards falling their way. It's not like he had them top of the tree for four years and worked a system that stacked up with the best. I reckon he's unlikely to win another premiership TBH.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Until he has a list similar to the one he has now and he's not winning Premierships and they all whine about how s**t he is. I would rather keep Ratten to be honest. I rate him higher, he had the same list that Malthouse inherited after coming off a premiership but got more out of them. The Dogs had a solid middling list and won a premiership, it was a good part of just being the right time and the right place and all the cards falling their way. It's not like he had them top of the tree for four years and worked a system that stacked up with the best. I reckon he's unlikely to win another premiership TBH.
Well so many coaches win 2 flags. So if the choice is a premiership coach or a sacked coach you are going the sacked coach. And the other thing is he won a flag with a team that has similar history to us. Right place at the right time? Weren’t they 14th when he took over.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
One is a premiership coach, the other isn't.

Even Clarko wouldn't win us a flag with our current list IMO.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well so many coaches win 2 flags. So if the choice is a premiership coach or a sacked coach you are going the sacked coach. And the other thing is he won a flag with a team that has similar history to us. Right place at the right time? Weren’t they 14th when he took over.
They were a rabble according to people on here.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm a fan but with the rider he hasn't read the changing tactics too well in the last year or two, and believe just like plenty of his players
That he too has suffered a premiership hangover! But your right having scaled the mountain with a club like the dogs is a massive achievement
And for that first 2 or 3 years there he appeared to be brilliant at reading the tactical nature of the game and introduced a game plan that suited
A good but not great team and they somehow won the whole bloody thing! Tis no small feat!

I also would not be comparing Lyon to Bevo! In any way as what Beveridge did with an ordinary club is monumental
Compared to the All Stars Lyon had at his disposal and yet no Happy ending for us! Story of my life that....No Happy Ending! :sick:
All stars? We didn't deserve to even make the GF in 2010.

He took the players he had, plug a few holes with rucks and got us very close.

No different to any other coach.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think they still are. Still landed on their feet though.
Exactly but do people who waited for 60 years care Doubtful. Probably just young pathetic kids who expect to win all the time who want more. I’m getting close to waiting 60 years so if fall off the cliff after we win one I will jump off with them.

Exactly but do people who waited for 60 years care Doubtful. Probably just young pathetic kids who expect to win all the time who want more. I’m getting close to waiting 60 years so if fall off the cliff after we win one I will jump off with them.

Fair enough, I guess I almost rate respect above the prize. Having arsed a Bradbury win would only last a little while before dissatisfaction resumed.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Fair enough, I guess I almost rate respect above the prize. Having arsed a Bradbury win would only last a little while before dissatisfaction resumed.
You sound like a kid brought up in today’s soft age. It seems you need your friends and the media to respect your club. Who cares my dad will never forget the flag and he has had mostly heart ache since. I’ve only hear ache. If I get through without a flag I’m sure I can through it if it happens after a flag.

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
All stars? We didn't deserve to even make the GF in 2010.

He took the players he had, plug a few holes with rucks and got us very close.

No different to any other coach.
What do you mean didn't deserve to make the GF in 2010? Your kidding right? We beat Geel the two times we played them that season!
Go back and take a good look at the two GF sides in 2010 and ask yourself how the hell did Coll start hot favourites?
Our side in retrospect looks way more talented on paper. As much as i admired Lyon as our coach, felt that after his revolutionary game plan
In 09 He did not move with the changing tactics and arguably still hasn't!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
What do you mean didn't deserve to make the GF in 2010? Your kidding right? We beat Geel the two times we played them that season!
Go back and take a good look at the two GF sides in 2010 and ask yourself how the hell did Coll start hot favourites?
Our side in retrospect looks way more talented on paper. As much as i admired Lyon as our coach, felt that after his revolutionary game plan
They had more aa that year and a better bottom end. We stuffed our salary cap up which completely hamstrung our recruiting. Our best list and by a huge margin was 2005 and 2006

mightymalaka

May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
They had more aa that year and a better bottom end. We stuffed our salary cap up which completely hamstrung our recruiting. Our best list and by a huge margin was 2005 and 2006
They may have more AA's for that year, but if you look at the quality of work over the journey from respective players within both teams
You will find that our team more than stacks up well! Admittedly we were more banged up at the time, esp for the Replay!

As for 05 and 06 list being the best, your probably right together with 09 but with 05 and 06 we had a debilitating injury list when
Our injury management team was not at it's best, let's just say!

#gosaintas

Cancelled
Veteran Reimagine Moorabbin
Nov 11, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda

09/10 we beat geel 3 out of the 4 times we played them

*ing shattering....still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back