Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Was it Richo?
Ha, no.
The other thing he highlighted was the amount of surgery that Melbourne experienced in the off season.
18 players?
They were never going to start well.
Which confirms the opinions expressed here about the critical importance of pre seasons.
Re: Newnes last year

Again, nothing startling.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I had a chance to have a chat with an ex AFL coach today.
(Coached this decade and yes, got the flick).
We were talking wrt the game tonight.
Specifically what both Worsfield and Goodwin were publicly saying.
Although his comments were specific to this, I thought it useful to share with you especially wrt our commentary re Richo.

Coaches often don’t/can’t tell the truth.
(His example was Shiel, very good player but was starting afresh. He will take time to learn his role at Essendon. Not as long as some players but time nevertheless. But the coach has to be realistic and patient with him. That of course, is not what supporters expect to hear. Shiel was sold as a gun from day 1).

There is never a single cause for performance (good or bad).

The media in Melbourne is a pack of sharks.

None of the above is spectacularly new, I share it simply as commentary.

He’s picked the D’s tonight FWIW.
Was he riding his bike or did he pull up in his tank?

Ha, no.
The other thing he highlighted was the amount of surgery that Melbourne experienced in the off season.
18 players?
They were never going to start well.
Which confirms the opinions expressed here about the critical importance of pre seasons.
Re: Newnes last year

Again, nothing startling.
We have Melbourne the week after the Hawks. Here's hoping they still can't hit their stride until after that.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
Not saying they’re unhappy.. think that has been misunderstood. A couple aren’t, and a few still aren’t with Richo. But the general consensus is they all love Rats and LOVE Lade.
This is very true.

I will go as far as saying Richo might be in a lose lose situation this year. I hand on heart believe Ratten will be coach next year.

That would be great news

I think Richo is an okay coach, he's really ben up against it with the sides he's fielded but he's been there so long the message must be getting stale with out getting a result. Ratten looks impressive and Lade seems to be a very good assistant. I think as far as a coup goes, that would be a very good way to change over with little break in continuity.

I think Richo is an okay coach, he's really ben up against it with the sides he's fielded but he's been there so long the message must be getting stale with out getting a result. Ratten looks impressive and Lade seems to be a very good assistant. I think as far as a coup goes, that would be a very good way to change over with little break in continuity.
Fair points but I don’t rate him at all and think his time is up I just don’t see a coach that has the traits to turn the side into a ruthless finals team and premiership contender and if the board think the same they should move him on at the first possible chance

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
Just throwing this out there. Going forward, does the club look at making Ratten coach and offering Richo a different role?
It all comes down to “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

It was broke last year so we made some pretty big coaching changes to fix it.

It’s a night and day difference for me looking at our team this year. We are so organized all over the park, from the forwards back. You could see it from the first JLT game against the Roos. We are keeping good teams to low scores.

It has been a fantastic effort so far. The coaching changes have obviously made Richo a better coach. And we look to bat deep in the coaching department now and that’s reflected in the way we are playing.

It’s a brutal win/loss industry. If we are winning, Richo will stay. We can’t give all the credit to the assistants for turning things around and none to Richo. That’s just unfair. He’s played his part in turning things around so this coaching group gives our players the best opportunity to win.

We’ve improved really quickly as a coaching and playing group (it’s certainly surprised me how quick it has been) and we should all be doing cartwheels right now sitting at 3-1 - especially considering our injury list and tough early draw.

Something that’s impressed me as a club since our review last year is we seem to be a great collective club at the moment. Sure, it looks like “road to 2018” was premature and we went off the rails pretty badly there, but we may just have got things back on track so it’s more like a road to 2021-22.

Sully111

Premiership Player
Jun 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
It all comes down to “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

It was broke last year so we made some pretty big coaching changes to fix it.

It’s a night and day difference for me looking at our team this year. We are so organized all over the park, from the forwards back. You could see it from the first JLT game against the Roos. We are keeping good teams to low scores.

It has been a fantastic effort so far. The coaching changes have obviously made Richo a better coach. And we look to bat deep in the coaching department now and that’s reflected in the way we are playing.

It’s a brutal win/loss industry. If we are winning, Richo will stay. We can’t give all the credit to the assistants for turning things around and none to Richo. That’s just unfair. He’s played his part in turning things around so this coaching group gives our players the best opportunity to win.

We’ve improved really quickly as a coaching and playing group (it’s certainly surprised me how quick it has been) and we should all be doing cartwheels right now sitting at 3-1 - especially considering our injury list and tough early draw.

Something that’s impressed me as a club since our review last year is we seem to be a great collective club at the moment. Sure, it looks like “road to 2018” was premature and we went off the rails pretty badly there, but we may just have got things back on track so it’s more like a road to 2021-22.

My concern is that Ratten gets a senior job at another club, and i believe that's only a matter of time. It's not going to go unnoticed how much better we're looking, and given his training under Clarko, after not being a terrible coach when he had a crack last time, I think it will happen for him.

I quite like Richo, but I don't think he's a good senior coach. While I agree the mix is working ok now, I think the club needs to be proactive and find a way to lock Ratten in. It could also help with the financial strain of paying Richo out, plus we get to keep a good football person (Richo) at our club.

I'd just like to see the Saints be forward thinking about all this, to keep things heading in the right direction.

If Richo gets sacked, other clubs aren't going to be beating down his door to sign him up... if we offer him the right role (provided it's available) he might jump at it.

If we do that, Ratten will be gone
I wouldn't say that. Where's he going too?

Ratten needs to be careful he doesn't jump onto a sinking ship. Clubs at the bottom generally sack their coaches.

If ratts is smart he jumps at the right time. Not at the first opportunity.

See where it comes out at the end of the year.

He's 4 and 1. Far exceeded my expectations.

As Garry Lyon said on the commentary today. Richo got all of the blame for last year, so you cannot not give him his due for how we are going now.
They did discuss the intangibles...how it was impossible to put percentages on how much was due to each of the new coaches coming in.

Basically, if as head coach, Richo takes the blame, as head coach he also has to get the kudos when things are going well.

How long is Ratt’s contract with us? Would hate to see him walking out the door after one year. One thing in our favour is that Bolton is probably the most likely to be replaced, and what’s the chance of Ratts wanting to go back to the place that shafted him for “SuperCoach” Malthouse?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back