Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just concede that Richo’s 1 half decent year (2017) was still patchy, not even getting us to finls, and propped up by a champion in Roo? He may not have the greatest list in the AFL with GWS, Gold Cost and Sydney compromising a few drafts there during our rebuild phase but **** me.

He’s just not getting much out of our list, the first few rounds saw the pressure and tackling of 2017 back but recently it’s just dropped off again with stupid decisions being repeated so often, you’d have to assume they’re deliberate game plan/strategies.

Thanks for the efforts Richo, but 5 years on and the output isn’t good enough.
2017 our draw was ridiculously hard. In 2016 we had the cushiest draw imaginable and still didn’t play finals. 2017 was a bit of a disappointment after that but in hindsight was very tough.

Or am I thinking of 2018???

Can we just concede that Richo’s 1 half decent year (2017) was still patchy, not even getting us to finls, and propped up by a champion in Roo? He may not have the greatest list in the AFL with GWS, Gold Cost and Sydney compromising a few drafts there during our rebuild phase but **** me.

He’s just not getting much out of our list, the first few rounds saw the pressure and tackling of 2017 back but recently it’s just dropped off again with stupid decisions being repeated so often, you’d have to assume they’re deliberate game plan/strategies.

Thanks for the efforts Richo, but 5 years on and the output isn’t good enough.
Great post.

2017 was when I really started to get concerned. That 3rd year is where you normally see a spike in performance and a jump into the 8. For it not to happen made me think we had big issues. Nothing since has made me think different.

We’re going to end up having the easiest draw in recorded history this year. As it stands out only top 8 side tjat we play twice is Adelaide, who sit 8th.

Just keep that in mind at the end of the year. A bit like North last year.. we need to be realistic when valuing this year against others.

Great post.

2017 was when I really started to get concerned. That 3rd year is where you normally see a spike in performance and a jump into the 8. For it not to happen made me think we had big issues. Nothing since has made me think different.
I was the only person I know who confidently said we would not make finals because we overachieved in 2016. Blues twice dons twice with their vfl side and some other s**t trucks. I forget.

We’re going to end up having the easiest draw in recorded history this year. As it stands out only top 8 side tjat we play twice is Adelaide, who sit 8th.

Just keep that in mind at the end of the year. A bit like North last year.. we need to be realistic when valuing this year against others.
Exactly. Take this year with a grain of salt. No trip to the Gabba or to Perth to play west coast either.

Makes up for last year where we every team we played twice finished inside the 8 except North who finished 9th.

The fixture is good. The injuries are as bad as you could nearly get. You also need to look at that when valuing the year against others. Last year hardly looks like we had an injury compared to this year

The fixture is good. The injuries are as bad as you could nearly get. You also need to look at that when valuing the year against others. Last year hardly looks like we had an injury compared to this year
Also a valid point. Probably about evens things out as far as the fixture goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast in Townsville
Brisbane at Marvel
Richmond at Marvel
North in tassie

Would like to think we win the GC game and 50/50 in the other three. Richmond have already lost twice at Marvel and we will get more players back hopefully so you just never know.
If we happened to drop the next two games somehow, we'll be staring at 5 - 9 or 5 - 10… in which case we should absolutely pull the pin on richo, as that would likely mean 1 win from 9 or 10 games.

If we happened to drop the next two games somehow, we'll be staring at 5 - 9 or 5 - 10… in which case we should absolutely pull the pin on richo, as that would likely mean 1 win from 9 or 10 games.
Gold Coast we should beat. We beat Carlton even though it was a danger game. If we lose to Gold Coast our season is officially over.

How pathetic is it that Carlton is a danger game though? :(
Since I've been with my partner, we are yet to lose to Carlton - long may it continue, but every time we play them i get nervous the streak is about to end.

yes it's very pathetic but that's sadly where we are at. now, Gold Coast is a danger game too.

How pathetic is it that Carlton is a danger game though? :(

Actually, it’s not pathetic at all.

It became a danger game because they were so under the pump. Hard to know how any team will react when their backs are against the wall. Besides that, we had a younger , more inexperienced team in than they did.

Let’s remember they gave the Pies a bit of a fright too. I’d say almost all our remaining games are danger games, nothing we can take for granted, especially with the players we have out.

yeah good point, it's not really pathetic - that's not the right word. I guess it's more the sentiment of it being a danger game disappoints our fans because they think we're better than that. It's no shame though really.

You don't know that though mate. You think by sacking him a few years ago we would be better than we are now? You can't guarantee that. We would definitely be different than we are now but not necessarily better. And I can guarantee you that we would look like an unstable club, which hurts our back pocket with things like sponsors, membership and player retention. Imagine if we got a clown like Watters in again. All our decent players would've left. Now we're in 2019 I can say after six seasons that yes he hasn't got it done and needs to move on IF we don't make the eight this year, but to assume we would be better than we are now is based on nothing. Nobody knows if we will even be better than we are now once Richardson moves on. All speculation.

Yeah but you wanted an unproven coach in 2013 and it didn't work out, so why do you want another one. You say unproven coaches have better success at winning a flag yet you've just seen six seasons of it not working. Lets try something different. Obviously your opinion doesn't hold weight in this instance because it hasn't worked out. You're posting as if it's fact that an unproven coach will win a flag. Well it's not fact. There's a multitiude of reasons for a coach winning a premiership, not just the sole reason of "they were unproven". How silly is that? It's a culmination of a strong football department, an experienced playing list and a strong gameplan. Doesn't matter if you've been an AFL coach or not, ala Chris Scott. Had everything at his disposal and he was capable enough to get the Cats a premiership. If you think that the major reason why clubs win premierships is if they have proven or unproven coaches I don't know what to tell you.

And please, overblowing things yet again. Our results aren't as bad as the 80's. 1980-1989 is littered with wooden spoons, 4 win seasons, near mergers. How many wooden spoons have we won this decade? How many wins have we had this decade compared to then? It's good to have an opinion but don't try and contort your view to fit your argument because it doesn't work in this instance.

That's fine, I was going to quote that post too to give you some credit but I went back to find it and couldn't. You did say that so yes you didn't think he would get us to the next level, but that's not what I was asking you. I was asking why you thought an unproven coach would work this time if it didn't last time.

I've got no dog in the fight just thought it should be noted in the last 25 years the only guys with previous coaching jobs to win it were Blight, Malthouse, Matthews. And no surprise that all of those coaches had success at their previous roles.you have to go back to Rob Walls back in the 80s to find a guy who coached another league side without winning a flag before changing clubs and getting one. For me it's simple. Richo has had since the end of 2014 to get basically anything at his disposal to do what he wants. He was happy with the list, he was happy with all of the staff, etc etc. And he has absolutely nothing to show for it. When you've got a dud, and it seems blindingly obvious that we do, the first course of action ought to be cut your losses and get moving with a new bloke. Ratten was probably extremely stiff with the outcome of his first go at Carlton but regardless he would be a near guaranteed upgrade on what weve got in richo at the moment.

Carlton are doing their best to take that title away from us...
We’ve got a hundred and ten year head start on them though. Though in another five decades they might have caught up to our wooden spoon count.

Actually, it’s not pathetic at all.

It became a danger game because they were so under the pump. Hard to know how any team will react when their backs are against the wall. Besides that, we had a younger , more inexperienced team in than they did.

Let’s remember they gave the Pies a bit of a fright too. I’d say almost all our remaining games are danger games, nothing we can take for granted, especially with the players we have out.
They're the worst team in the league. They've been the worst team in the league for years now. Coach under fire or not they're terrible and we were hardly better. It's a blight on St Kilda that the same team who won less than 10% of their last 44 games managed to put up a long fight and that we couldn't bury them.

They're the worst team in the league. They've been the worst team in the league for years now. Coach under fire or not they're terrible and we were hardly better. It's a blight on St Kilda that the same team who won less than 10% of their last 44 games managed to put up a long fight and that we couldn't bury them.

And we weren’t the only team this season as I mentioned. Pies beat them by 19, Port beat them by 16. And, they thrashed the Dogs by 44.

Granted, we’re not a great team, but the Pies were grand finalists and had a hard time with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back