Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mitchell is the standout assistant in the comp in my opinion.

Was always a limited player physically but one of the great midfielders the game has seen meaning he had a great footy brain to compensate for his physical deficiencies.

Coming off the rookie-list shows he has grit which you need as a coach.

Went to West Coast at the end of his career as a player, then coached their not-so-vaunted midfield to a premiership against the odds in his first year as an assistant.

Sure, I saw the article where he said he "wasn't ready" but I reckon his experience, while limited years-wise, is light years ahead of other potentials because it was in elite environments and he had premiership success wherever he went.

We tell him we firmly believe he is ready, keep Ratts as the second in charge and lock him in for 5 years.

With his pedigree, he is honestly less of a "risk" than going re-cycled and I think we'd be absolutely nuts not to try and give him an offer he can't refuse.

We have to be bold, especially when there is someone like him potentially available. He could completely transform our club.

I found that view a bit odd from you.

Ratten oversaw the Hawks midfield for 3 flags and was a pretty handy mid in his time.

So working under Clarko is good for some but not for others?

No doubtting his credentials, but where is the data to suggest he is the best assistant in the comp? How's their midfield travellong this year?

Huge call IMO.

Although i agree that if we went that way, you'd keep Ratten for sure.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
I found that view a bit off from you.

Ratten oversaw the Hawks midfield for 3 flags and was a pretty handy mid in his time.

So working u get Clarko is good for some but not for others?

No doubtting his credentials, but where is the data to suggest he is the best assistant in the comp?

Huge call IMO.

There's a bit of mental gymnastics in what I am saying for sure.

The main reason being, I am "believing" Ratten when he stated in the media he wasn't wanting a senior gig while discounting Mitchell saying he doesn't want a gig in the media.

I actually would be more than happy for Ratts to take over for what it's worth if/when the time comes.

But there's something about Mitchell I feel makes him a coach with a higher ceiling than Ratts, and I'd love us to be bold.

A lot is to do with age really, I just feel having played in the modern era as well as coached make him an enticing prospect. If we could keep Ratts as a "mentor", it could be one of the great "1-2" coaching combinations in the game and I believe in shooting for the stars as a club like ours needs to have the best in charge to get us competing for flags.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I think Fagen throws the age myth out when it comes to coaching
Don’t think there is anything to prove having been a player of note is important either
The better coaches are usually back pocket plumber. Yes there is blight and Matthews but most aren’t stars. I suppose Mitchell did have to work hard to make it. That can sometimes be a problem as well though if you can’t understand why a guy won’t work as hard as you did. I’m not sure 2 years is enough education. That’s worries more than any other thing

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's a bit of mental gymnastics in what I am saying for sure.

The main reason being, I am "believing" Ratten when he stated in the media he wasn't wanting a senior gig while discounting Mitchell saying he doesn't want a gig in the media.

I actually would be more than happy for Ratts to take over for what it's worth if/when the time comes.

But there's something about Mitchell I feel makes him a coach with a higher ceiling than Ratts, and I'd love us to be bold.

A lot is to do with age really, I just feel having played in the modern era as well as coached make him an enticing prospect. If we could keep Ratts as a "mentor", it could be one of the great "1-2" coaching combinations in the game and I believe in shooting for the stars as a club like ours needs to have the best in charge to get us competing for flags.
I get you. Could be an inspired move or another disaster which can't afford.

A club like ours needs a decent list to get us competing for flags IMO.

I still suffer nightmares from Watson, and Boss, Hird and Buckley are still fresh in my memory.

St Neil

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2016
Aspendale Gardens
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Blackpool
I noticed BT on today’s pre game telecast state Sam Mitchell will likely be a head coach next year. He was reasonably emphatic.

Hawthorn has Clarkson locked in for a few years.

Mitchell during the week ruled out coaching North or Carlton.

It’s happening?

Joining a lot of dots there. But it’s not out of the question. Other potential jobs in Melbourne may include Essendon. He has a young family so I doubt he would want to move interstate again.

Mitchell is the one I would want to coach us (apart from Clarkson). Midfield expertise, highly skilled, well spoken, assistant coaching experience at two clubs, and Premiership player. He ticks a lot of boxes.

Interesting that there is not much media speculation about him at the moment, so he is flying under the radar.

The better coaches are usually back pocket plumber. Yes there is blight and Matthews but most aren’t stars. I suppose Mitchell did have to work hard to make it. That can sometimes be a problem as well though if you can’t understand why a guy won’t work as hard as you did. I’m not sure 2 years is enough education. That’s worries more than any other thing

It’s not enough...but he can certainly be an assistant for Ratts!

In 2/3 years he takes over as senior coach, Ratts becomes Head of Football.
All sorted.:)

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
I wrote a bit about this last year, but I think the reality now is if Richo wants to have a job next year he needs to find a way to instill the confidence in the team to finish. It has been years now that our finishing has been our achilles heal, I know part of that is that we just don't have players that are good enough, but bad finishing has been a part of our group for so long and some of it is easy goals that a VFL player would kick. Even last week, missed opportunities destroyed us.

Now I don't know how he does it, but if Richo can instill the confidence to score goals and thus win games, he can take us to finals I think and keep his job. However, if not, I think he has to go because it has been too long with the same problem and the fact is there are a lot of good potential coaches out there, and we will simply need to get a coach in that can coach the ruthlessness of a winning side.

Tough assignment, but the reality is our goal-kicking has been shocking for years and we'd be mad to go on with Richo expecting it to change after so long.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
I found that view a bit odd from you.

So working under Clarko is good for some but not for others?

No doubtting his credentials, but where is the data to suggest he is the best assistant in the comp? How's their midfield travellong this year?

Huge call IMO.

Slightly understating Ratten the footballer to call him a handy mid!
For a few years he was elite. Despite a distinct lack of pace, much like Diesel Williams he was a very creative intelligent footballer
Whose use of visionary handball frequently brought his team mates into the game!

Makes you wonder if his type would even get drafted these days, such is the obsession with bigger athletic types!
An old fashioned footballer's player whose type is seriously lacking within the comp these days!
Might be something in that! In my belief it's more than a coincidence that the overall standard of footy has declined sharply
Since recruiters became besotted with traits that prioritise a sharp focus on being the all round chiselled athlete over players that don't
Necessarily fit that mould but modelled their game on reading the play, general footy nous, one on one contested ability that prided
skill and vision over how good they were at beep tests and stamina!
And imo the game is much the poorer for it!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
So if we lose against the Suns, does Cho get asked to submit his resignation? Perhaps I've been spending too much time around lawyers, but the way l interpret Cho's contract is that it terminates at the end of this season, with a trigger for another year. If Cho wanted to enforce a pay-out for 2020 he'd have to demonstrate that he was on track to meet the trigger and the club prevented him from making it. A tough argument to substantiate.
We should give Ratts the maximum opportunity to play the kids and decided the list.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Slightly understating Ratten the footballer to call him a handy mid!
For a few years he was elite. Despite a distinct lack of pace, much like Diesel Williams he was a very creative intelligent footballer
Whose use of visionary handball frequently brought his team mates into the game!

Makes you wonder if his type would even get drafted these days, such is the obsession with bigger athletic types!
An old fashioned footballer's player whose type is seriously lacking within the comp these days!
Might be something in that! In my belief it's more than a coincidence that the overall standard of footy has declined sharply
Since recruiters became besotted with traits that prioritise a sharp focus on being the all round chiselled athlete over players that don't
Necessarily fit that mould but modelled their game on reading the play, general footy nous, one on one contested ability that prided
skill and vision over how good they were at beep tests and stamina!
And imo the game is much the poorer for it!
Aw come on, I did say pretty handy.

Agree with what you say but in the search for a competitive edge, the game has evolved into a defence first style and counter attack like other codes.

I hate it as much as you do. Witness the low scoring all round these days.

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
So if we lose against the Suns, does Cho get asked to submit his resignation? Perhaps I've been spending too much time around lawyers, but the way l interpret Cho's contract is that it terminates at the end of this season, with a trigger for another year. If Cho wanted to enforce a pay-out for 2020 he'd have to demonstrate that he was on track to meet the trigger and the club prevented him from making it. A tough argument to substantiate.
We should give Ratts the maximum opportunity to play the kids and decided the list.
There's termination clauses in his contract around payout. If he's sacked mid year its a payout of x amount of months. Pretty much like a normal business contract now. It wasn't last year.. Doesn't matter if he's sacker or hands his resignation from now on.

His performance based contract isn't as straight forward as reported. Its correct in stating he has to win a final to trigger the second year, but there's also a number of ins and outs from both sides..

Feb 19, 2009
Moorabbin
AFL Club
St Kilda
The next month is critical for Chi and the club. The four teams we come up against are suns, lions, Richmond and North. 2 wins is barely a pass mark and anything less he should get the boot. Has had more than enough time to get this team up to scratch.

Agreed. I reckon the next 4 games determines the outcome of the Cho. They're all winnable games and our performance will be evidence. Win 3 or 4 and he'll stay. Any less and he's toast. With the moves already made by Norf and the Bloos it wouldn't surprise me if the club acted fast and he's gone by the end of the year.

Hoping we win the next 4 though. Not for Cho's sakes just for me and my 9 year old boy.

Have faith
Go Saints

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's termination clauses in his contract around payout. If he's sacked mid year its a payout of x amount of months. Pretty much like a normal business contract now. It wasn't last year.. Doesn't matter if he's sacker or hands his resignation from now on.

His performance based contract isn't as straight forward as reported. Its correct in stating he has to win a final to trigger the second year, but there's also a number of ins and outs from both sides..
So his continued weekly tenure is now only a matter of discretion from above for the best overall outcome. Failed to be in the positive at the bye...
I guess the people involved weren't as useless as some of us thought.

Last edited:

Mikka84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
So his continued weekly tenure is now only a matter of digression from above for the best overall outcome. Failed to be in the positive at the bye...
I guess the people involved weren't as useless as some of us thought.
Well.. mostly useless..

My honest opinion - Richo stays until the end of the year regardless of outcome. I think he departs regardless of outcome. I also believe the new coach has been informally appointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back