Discussion The Clash-Contrast Spectrum: How our terminology affects our interpretation

Remove this Banner Ad

In life, the words we use and the language we speak affects how we see the world. A simple example of this would be our use of the word ‘blue’, which we define as the colours between violet and green on the colour spectrum.

400px-Linear_visible_spectrum.svg.png

We have a whole host of colours within this range. From cyan to cerulean blue, from ‘pure’ to navy blue. While hyponyms exist for ‘blue’, using the word ‘blue’ without a specific adjective can cause misunderstandings. As with most things, we can illustrate this using The Simpsons.

Homer states that he “is not easily impressed” before promptly being wowed by “a blue car!” What does he mean by a blue car? Does he mean the car on the left or the car on the right?

okdsxU1.png

Quite clearly, they’re different colours, yet we use the same word to describe them. One of the quirks of critical thinking means we can, if we think about it, be more specific to avoid confusion and ambiguity. Which is exactly what we need to do when discussing clash jumpers and their purpose in the AFL.

The fundamental purpose of clash jumpers, as it stands, is to reduce a clash. I propose that this definition is flawed. The difference between “clash reduction” and “contrast maximisation” is pivotal and something we need to address with our use of terminology.

I’ve created a spectrum below. Clash and contrast are basically opposites.

P1thtXg.png

As you can see, it travels from clash (red) to contrast (green). You can place any jumper matchup on this spectrum somewhere.

For example, when Port played Richmond earlier in the year, there is a very big contrast between the teams and the teams are clearly distinguishable.

GohKhqA.png

I would place it on the very far right side of the spectrum, like this.

beyrhwu.png

On the other hand, in 2013 we experienced a huge clash in jumpers when Port played Carlton in their heritage strip. A huge oversight by those in charge.

MSdyrqR.png

I’d place this matchup on the very left side of the spectrum, like this.

vJncBA4.png

Lastly, just the other week, Essendon played West Coast. While the teams are distinguishable in a still picture, on a video it is much harder.

NCEUBCL.png

I can agree that there is no clash, but, importantly and just as equally, there is no contrast.

5KKDpkg.png

So why am I pointing this out? Because what I’ve observed recently is that people are using the same words to mean different things. Just like we do when we say ‘a blue car’. There is a need to be specific to avoid confusion and ambiguity.

People will say “Essendon clash with Collingwood” and there are rightfully told they are wrong, because they don’t clash. But what they should say is “Essendon don’t contrast with Collingwood”, which is entirely correct, and can form the basis of a terminologically correct argument in support of clash jumpers.

With this in mind, we can also state that the use of the term ‘clash jumper’ is biased. Using the example above, the implication is that we don’t need jumpers to contrast, we simply need them to not clash.

I stated earlier that I believe the purpose of clash jumpers should be to maximise contrast rather than reduce clash, and, personally, I think the term ‘contrast jumper’ would be much more appropriate for my arguments.

So, in conclusion, we need to recognize that our use of the word ‘clash’ implies there is no need for a contrast, and, thus, our argument can fall short. The merit of whether we need totally contrasting jumper matchups is another topic, however. But one thing is certain - no matter which side of the fence we are on, we need to get our terminology straight.

Last edited:
Which is why, when it all comes down to it, if the AFL were serious about Clash jumpers, or, if we can coin a phrase, Contrast Jumpers, they would do the logical thing.
EssClashOpt2.gif

That is in direct contrast to every other jumper.
Nothing looks like it.
However, they won't sell any at the club shop, so it will never get off the ground.

Which is why, when it all comes down to it, if the AFL were serious about Clash jumpers, or, if we can coin a phrase, Contrast Jumpers, they would do the logical thing.
EssClashOpt2.gif

That is in direct contrast to every other jumper.
Nothing looks like it.
However, they won't sell any at the club shop, so it will never get off the ground.
I personally think it will sell heaps because it's new and looks different.

I personally think it will sell heaps because it's new and looks different.
Yes, I'm sure the lime green guernsey will be an absolute hit with the traditional Essendon supporters who don't even agree with a tertiary club colour in grey onto their guernsey.

:thumbsdown:

In life, the words we use and the language we speak affects how we see the world. A simple example of this would be our use of the word ‘blue’, which we define as the colours between violet and green on the colour spectrum.

400px-Linear_visible_spectrum.svg.png

We have a whole host of colours within this range. From cyan to cerulean blue, from ‘pure’ to navy blue. While hyponyms exist for ‘blue’, using the word ‘blue’ without a specific adjective can cause to misunderstandings. As with most things, we can illustrate this using The Simpsons.

Homer states that he “is not easily impressed” before promptly being wowed by “a blue car!” What does he mean by a blue car? Does he mean the car on the left or the car on the right?

okdsxU1.png

In some languages royal and sky blue have different meanings, (kinda how pink and red have different meanings in English even though it's different shades of the same colour). e.g. in Spanish light blue is "celeste" and royal or dark blue is "azul"

In some languages royal and sky blue have different meanings, (kinda how pink and red have different meanings in English even though it's different shades of the same colour). e.g. in Spanish light blue is "celeste" and royal or dark blue is "azul"
The Japanese word 'ao' can refer to either blue or green depending on the situation

It's not often I'd read a long post word for word but the OP was so brilliant i just had to.

Black and white are direct opposites of each other and i think a club like Port have a fairly reasonable set up obviously.

But they released the teal jumper for the pre season and yet have refused to use it in the season proper.

I'd argue that while the white strip avoids a clash with the teams they do clash with, I think the teal would provide a better contrast against a team like Collingwood. A solid colour like teal provides a better contrast than black/white v white/black.

Other problems arise when clubs like the Crows only have the one strip, and both clubs are required to wear the alternate jumper (Crows v Pies).

Collingwood's white is clearly the better option away to Adelaide. But is Adelaide better suited wearing white v team like Collingwood? Would the Crows under the current jumper arrangement be better off wearing hoops (especially next year with red/gold continuing the whole way round) and navy shorts with Collingwood in home jumper and white shorts? It's at least worth the debate IMO. If the AFL have no issue in putting North and Geelong in white shorts every week at home, then they shouldn't be afraid to go with this approach.

Should clubs be mandated to have three Jumpers so a club like Adelaide can wear white away to Essendon/Richmond/Brisbane but wear a Red or Gold guernsey v Collingwood/Carlton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back