The clear-out of Australian political issues

Remove this Banner Ad

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
If Adani have lied about the employment benefits of the project which they have, repeatedly; what else have they fibbed about?

That the mine will have to be constructed? That payroll tax will be paid? That royalties will be paid? That associated infrastructure will have to be constructed and maintained? You're right, we definitely have to sit here like dopeys wondering "what else has Adani lied about?!!" instead of using our brain to objectively determine the benefits of mining. :rolleyes:

Exactly. These same old parrot lines about "it's automated! only 1600 jobs!" are those coming from people who hear nothing else apart from a long list of Labor politicians at present that know only to say "jobs! jobs! jobs!".

For someone to create even just 1 job or 1 opportunity for another, we should celebrate it.

Should we close coffee shops and retail outlets as they just hire 1-5 people?

1,600 jobs is amazing in itself. Then add the indirect opportunities, royalties, taxes etc

I’m personally pro moving away from coal but it’s embarrassing that some let their prejudice allow them to create or spread misinformation.

Even when the facts are presented they are too embarrassed to see the facts or change their position.

That’s life I guess.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
For someone to create even just 1 job or 1 opportunity for another, we should celebrate it.

Should we close coffee shops and retail outlets as they just hire 1-5 people?

1,600 jobs is amazing in itself. Then add the indirect opportunities, royalties, taxes etc

I’m personally pro moving away from coal but it’s embarrassing that some let their prejudice allow them to create or spread misinformation.

Even when the facts are presented they are too embarrassed to see the facts or change their position.

That’s life I guess.

:thumbsu::thumbsu: to often .the extremes cant see the real world they are running from it .

Adani has become symbolic for a cause. Sadly those protagonists wont read todays AUS, that sinful Murdoch at the typewriter again.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
The election result has given Australia a massive breather from so many annoying political tropes, cliches and radical left agendas.

No more republic talk.

No more Indigenous third chamber of Parliament talk.

No more "saving Medicare" talk.

No more Adani BS that most Australians can't understand.

No more "no climate change action from the Libs" talk.

No more "not enough Lib women" talk.

Bliss.

All confected issues formulated in the Canberra bubble by snobby and pretentious journos that have no idea about middle Australia.

So, my question to all - what ARE the issues that will come to define the next period in Australian politics?

This will also depend on who Labor elects as their leader, but what will they campaign on?
Braindead boomers in Queensland thinking Shorten was coming for their retirement savings doesn't reshape the world.

Issues stay issues regardless of elections.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Braindead boomers in Queensland thinking Shorten was coming for their retirement savings doesn't reshape the world.

Issues stay issues regardless of elections.

Easy to blame someone else, unhelpful really, just ease the pain. Not much appetite to keep Bowen or his policy.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Easy to blame someone else, unhelpful really, just ease the pain. Not much appetite to keep Bowen or his policy.
What are you even talking about?

A bunch of geriatrics got sold a bill of goods by Friedenburg, who abused parliamentary process, and a psychotic billionaire who spent 60 million$ in the hope the LNP would drop an investigation into his businesses and pass tax cuts that represent a huge return on that investment.

Old, rightwing boomers are stupid and planet destroyingly self interested, who would have guessed.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Should we downsize parliament? Or is that a bit radical for you.

They clearly waste a lot of money talking about not much

I guess we should be happy you got the message and aren’t anti Muslim signalling any more
Downsizing parliament is constiutionally difficult. NSW has 48 seats to Tasmania's (Constitutional minimum of) five, but should have 71-72 if done to equalise representation by population in the House.
NSW 72
Vic 55
Qld 45
WA 23
SA 16
Tas 5 (minimum as Original State)
ACT 4
NT 2
HoR Total : 222
That would be the approximate numbers had parliament not provided otherwise (Const S.24). There is no such providsion for Terriotories, but assumed in the above.

It is hard to see the larger states accepting a more disproportionate system required in downsizing, meaning to downsize would require a referendum to pass. Which, to be honest, it would have a good chance of doing unless there is a provision that this type of referendum needs a majority in all states (nothing I know of caters for that). The referendum would probably have to abolish the minimum for Original States, or reduce to it around two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Everyone is plugged into social media, what planet are you on?

Where does it “matter”? What platform is having more political discussion among the average voter than Facebook etc?

It’s far more likely that social media (boomers on Facebook) had an impact this election than traditional media.

It is very naive to think of social media as a millennial / young person thing.
Kids hardly even use facebook - its all 50+ year olds these days

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
It'd be naive to believe that these issues are done and dusted, labor if they learnt from the election will bring up the issues in a more palatable manner for the silent majority.

Adani and Boomers financial losses, are the lessons they'll need to learn from most.

Keep on with the climate change but be more practical about it, maybe point out the impracticalities of the Greens targets more so and bring in a more solid plan to transition to renewables. Not some pie in the sky flick the switch and she'll be right approach the Greens have.

It'd be naive to believe that these issues are done and dusted, labor if they learnt from the election will bring up the issues in a more palatable manner for the silent majority.

Adani and Boomers financial losses, are the lessons they'll need to learn from most.

Keep on with the climate change but be more practical about it, maybe point out the impracticalities of the Greens targets more so and bring in a more solid plan to transition to renewables. Not some pie in the sky flick the switch and she'll be right approach the Greens have.

not one person on the planet can point towards a jurisdiction on the planet where renewables have worked. They deliver an outcome 10-15 worse than hydro and nuclear or 10-15% better than doing nothing.

With the EV coming, that means renewables will double CO2 emissions from vehicles.

Perhaps we need to get real before getting practical.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
not one person on the planet can point towards a jurisdiction on the planet where renewables have worked. They deliver an outcome 10-15 worse than hydro and nuclear or 10-15% better than doing nothing.

With the EV coming, that means renewables will double CO2 emissions from vehicles.

Perhaps we need to get real before getting practical.

Firstly real and practical are the same thing. Secondly, I'm no expert on renewable energy but you can bet your bottom dollar the world will find a real and practical alternative(s) to fossil fuel powered energy the question is the when not the if. Hopefully before it's too late.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Firstly real and practical are the same thing. Secondly, I'm no expert on renewable energy but you can bet your bottom dollar the world will find a real and practical alternative(s) to fossil fuel powered energy the question is the when not the if. Hopefully before it's too late.

Lets hope the debate is in the middle, what can be agreed leading to a way forward - the extremes on both sides exposed instead of being used for political advantage.
Yes, I know ....

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Lets hope the debate is in the middle, what can be agreed leading to a way forward - the extremes on both sides exposed instead of being used for political advantage.
Yes, I know ....

To be honest I think the middle saw the holes in the Greens policy, it was never going to get up. Pretty sure parliament is going to realistic about it and actually be bipartisan to find a solution........................ I think they're finally listening. The electorate is fed up with the political bs.

getting real is different to being practical as it provides a context to reality rather than hope. We are currently "hoping" that renewables will work and seeking a practical solution of installing wind and solar. The only issue is, wind and solar delivers an outcome 10-15 times worse than hydro and nuclear. Can you find a jurisdiction that has got close to hydro and nuclear states that have gone down the failed renewables pathway?

The result of this failure is about to be felt as we transition to the EV, we will double CO2 for vehicles as diesel and petrol are cleaner than electricity from Germany's and Australia's grid. Isn't that madness that those who went down the failed renewables route will have dirtier power than diesel and petrol?

If we don't want to act too late, we have to get real and stop banking on hope. Tasmania, France, New Zealand, Ontario, Norway, Sweden, France and most of South America got real prior to the 80s and then got practical and implemented solutions that worked.

Meanwhile 55 years later, Germany in 2035 post closing their reactors and relying on renewables will be contributing 10-15 more CO2 than those that got "real". I hope Germany catches up to France and co by 2080......only 100 years behind schedule......I hope.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
getting real is different to being practical as it provides a context to reality rather than hope. We are currently "hoping" that renewables will work and seeking a practical solution of installing wind and solar. The only issue is, wind and solar delivers an outcome 10-15 times worse than hydro and nuclear. Can you find a jurisdiction that has got close to hydro and nuclear states that have gone down the failed renewables pathway?

The result of this failure is about to be felt as we transition to the EV, we will double CO2 for vehicles as diesel and petrol are cleaner than electricity from Germany's and Australia's grid. Isn't that madness that those who went down the failed renewables route will have dirtier power than diesel and petrol?

If we don't want to act too late, we have to get real and stop banking on hope. Tasmania, France, New Zealand, Ontario, Norway, Sweden, France and most of South America got real prior to the 80s and then got practical and implemented solutions that worked.

Meanwhile 55 years later, Germany in 2035 post closing their reactors and relying on renewables will be contributing 10-15 more CO2 than those that got "real". I hope Germany catches up to France and co by 2080......only 100 years behind schedule......I hope.

I'm not gonna argue on the efficencies of renewables vs fossil fuels because I don't know enough to debate it. And I agree with your first sentence if we want to get real we need to be practical so in context they have the same means to an end. That's what I meant in my last post. The literal difference in meaning is largely irrelevant though.

I'm not gonna argue on the efficencies of renewables vs fossil fuels because I don't know enough to debate it. And I agree with your first sentence if we want to get real we need to be practical so in context they have the same means to an end. That's what I meant in my last post. The literal difference in meaning is largely irrelevant though.

this link is live showing CO2, price, power generation mix, consumption etc etc

monitoring over time is required to see what works day and night, different weather patterns, the seasons, droughts etc etc

What never changes is those with nuclear and abundant hydro delivering 40-70g per kwhr. It's interesting to see how many jurisdictions made this bold move 50 years or more ago.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

We are facing today, tomorrow problems in the power sector on the East Coast, the States have abdicated their responsibilities in that area.
Reliable power is a bit before the renewables argument, I'd hope our Parliament are up to the responsibility & dont get drawn in by the extremes on both sides, practical yes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back