The clear-out of Australian political issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
The problem is journos spend all their time broadcasting themselves on twitter, and twitter is 90% far-left in Australia. Same as in the US and UK. That's the problem.
Why do you deliberately try and divide people? What good does that do in society? Are you one of the people who back in the day would try and fight someone if they said anything critical of you?

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Why do you deliberately try and divide people? What good does that do in society? Are you one of the people who back in the day would try and fight someone if they said anything critical of you?

Not dividing at all. As any educated political observer though, it is important to understand where this disconnect between the electorate and politics has started in the US, UK and Australia - and it comes back to journos living in a twitter world, where 90% are of the far left.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not dividing at all. As any educated political observer though, it is important to understand where this disconnect between the electorate and politics has started in the US, UK and Australia - and it comes back to journos living in a twitter world, where 90% are of the far left.
But you are deliberately dividing by trying to say that 90% of the people using twitter are far left. It is a ludicrous and made up statistic with the sole intention of antagonising people.

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
But you are deliberately dividing by trying to say that 90% of the people using twitter are far left. It is a ludicrous and made up statistic with the sole intention of antagonising people.

Pfft give me your % then.

Tell me, compared with the ordinary Australian in suburbia, whether twitter is very left or very right.

Further, if all of the far left is NOT on twitter, then please tell me where they are on social media.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Pfft give me your % then.

Tell me, compared with the ordinary Australian in suburbia, whether twitter is very left or very right.

Further, if all of the far left is NOT on twitter, then please tell me where they are on social media.
Pretty much sums it up.. part of the problem with Australian politics.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
you would be surprised. not politics, but our SFA teamtread on BF started talking about ages of the posters, and most were surprised just how many 45+ posters we had in our team

people assume BF is mostly 20-30 somethings, but there is a massive number of peeps in their 40's, 50's and 60's on these boards

I dont want to think of 45 as old :)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Bowen saying that religious people commenting privately to him that they hav a lot in common with progressives, but there seems to be a war going on

Maybe there was a Folau effect

But let’s get one thing straight. if I said what Folau said in discussion forums within my workplace, I’d expect to be meeting HR quite a bit a in future

its free real estate

it's free real estate
Jul 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
But let’s get one thing straight. if I said what Folau said in discussion forums within my workplace, I’d expect to be meeting HR quite a bit a in future
Of course you would, but that’s the chilling effect. Who has a more visible threat to your job security, the right or the left? Not that long ago it was inarguably the right. It’s still capital that is likely to find you superfluous, but there’s a reasonable chance the your fellow worker won’t have your back either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Twitter is social media. Plenty of other voices on Twitter.

Yes but we're not talking about social media generally. And that's because other social media is obviously more representative of the electorate as a whole (Facebook) considering its use by most of the electorate.

In contrast, twitter is used almost exclusively by the professional media class - note I didn't say solely news either.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Yes but we're not talking about social media generally. And that's because other social media is obviously more representative of the electorate as a whole (Facebook) considering its use by most of the electorate.

In contrast, twitter is used almost exclusively by the professional media class - note I didn't say solely news either.
Twitter is used by athletes, actors, businesses, politicians and Jolene everywoman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back