Opinion The Club and the way they communicate with us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GaJ interview is one of the few available on other platforms - a channel 7 twitter account. I don't think she's Cats media.

In terms of Cats media themselves I know our beloved flog Broughton stepped down, but the club website is actually advertising for two jobs in Cats media so another may have left (Kurzman? The jobs are 'social media producer' and 'digital content producer'). I'm almost tempted to not just apply but try to use the social medias to demonstrate how I could actually operate across multiple platforms simultaneously ;)

Hi there, your beloved flog Mitch Broughton checking in.

Clearly this isn't even remotely on topic, but I'm genuinely sick of copping abuse from posters on this board and I'm not willing to be made the scapegoat for the Cats or Cats Media any longer. I'm happy to run you through how things actually worked during my tenure at the club, how incredibly restricted both Adam McNicol and I were in what information we could provide to you all (which, spoiler alert: was a far cry from how we wanted to operate), how I genuinely did take this board's queries and concerns to my superiors only to have no action taken or it fall on deaf ears, and whatever else you'd like to know. But I'm not going to sit on my hands and continue to cop it when I know full well you've got the wrong man.

Feel free to see this as passing the buck, but believe me - I sleep very well at night knowing how I conducted myself at the Cats, the initiatives I wanted to put in place and the body of work - albeit incredibly restricted, as mentioned above - I created with my colleagues Adam and Grant Kurzman. We weren't far away from being able to put together something unlike any other AFL club, something that would have seen you arguably the most informed fan base in the game and one that had an open channel to contribute to the content you wanted to see, if only the club allowed us to do what we wanted to do.

Please pass this on to the rest of your board. I hope you're happy with the content and coverage you're now getting as a result of my moving onto bigger and better things.

Clearly this isn't even remotely on topic, but I'm genuinely sick of copping abuse from posters on this board and I'm not willing to be made the scapegoat for the Cats or Cats Media any longer. I'm happy to run you through how things actually worked during my tenure at the club, how incredibly restricted both Adam McNicol and I were in what information we could provide to you all (which, spoiler alert: was a far cry from how we wanted to operate), how I genuinely did take this board's queries and concerns to my superiors only to have no action taken or it fall on deaf ears, and whatever else you'd like to know. But I'm not going to sit on my hands and continue to cop it when I know full well you've got the wrong man.

Feel free to see this as passing the buck, but believe me - I sleep very well at night knowing how I conducted myself at the Cats, the initiatives I wanted to put in place and the body of work - albeit incredibly restricted, as mentioned above - I created with my colleagues Adam and Grant Kurzman. We weren't far away from being able to put together something unlike any other AFL club, something that would have seen you arguably the most informed fan base in the game and one that had an open channel to contribute to the content you wanted to see, if only the club allowed us to do what we wanted to do.

Please pass this on to the rest of your board. I hope you're happy with the content and coverage you're now getting as a result of my moving onto bigger and better things.
If it's any consolation I think the media output from the club has got worse since you left. It's a shame the old guard of the club can't trust the fans enough to let them be closer. But this is common to all AFL clubs.

Mitch

Thanks very much for standing up and posting that information here. :thumbsu:
If you read the Official thread, and I know you have, not all posters were potting the on camera faces, but also suggesting the club was the bottleneck in the system - some of which is understandable and some not so.

Any dialogue you wish to have, defend or attack, please feel free to do so here. Im sure the input will be well received and no doubt a flog or two of our own will get put to the fence.

I realise that your tenture has concluded there and while im not aware of your current and future plans, perhaps clearing the air on some of the restrictions and ideas you had can be used by us going forward.

Any info I know speaking for myself will be greatly appreciated.

Finally, is Adam gone as well? Does that only leave Peeters there now?

Dechaineux

Cheers
GO Catters

And for the record, should Mitch choose to interact here, there will be zero tolerance for idiotic and trolling posts. Bans will flow.

And use of the term flog must be kept to only appropriate posters..:p

Last edited:

Mitch, the ‘flog’ stuff aside (which, by the way, I hope you took in the manner in which it was intended), you’ll find that almost all of the vitriol was in fact directed at the club for being the way it was/is. I don’t envy the job you had nor the job of your replacement given those constraints.

Good luck with whatever comes your way next.

And the biggest question I must know the answer to...

Was Kingy really like Fat Bastard in Austin Powers when it came to gluttony of the KFC that was delivered for the PodCats episodes. :D

Go Catters

Hey Mitch

I hope you don't think that my post was in any way disparaging of you or your work for the club. I found the way you handled the flog label in a post earlier this year (using it in a signoff) both hilarious and brilliant so have been fond of it ever since but am more than happy to drop it henceforth and apologise unreservedly if I've ever come off of demeaning you, someone else at Cats Media or the work done therein.

I don't think too many would be surprised by what you've said, or the idea that you were ultimately thrown into a no-win scenario. Here's wishing you all the best in your future endeavours :thumbsu:

I personally was a big fan of Mitch and Adam in Cats Media.
it's a shame that Mitch left but regardless of who the new presenters are (Peeters, McNicol, Kurzman and the new girl interviewing Cocky), I think that as long media is made for the club, i am happy

MIC DROPPPPPPPPPPPPP

not all of us are entitled w***ers though, please don’t feel that the views of some represent the views of all.

Go Mitch,for the record the crew here on this board are pretty switched on, I believe everyone would have known the restrictions you bloke would have been under.Rest assured no other flog they put up will get a rails run either if they are burdened with the same restrictions you blokes were saddled with.

All the best in what ever you have taken on cheers YPO.

Last edited:
Liking the irony that the most candid a (former) member of Cats Media has been on this forum is a post primarily centered around how they weren't allowed to be candid :thumbsu:

Thanks for posting anyway Dechaineux, nice for us to receive confirmation of what a lot of us have long suspected. Hope you do well wherever you land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree that the club as an entity was the focus of our dissatisfaction. That said, I'm fairly sure Mitch did say at one point he wasn't in favour of the Cats Insider concept but was asked (perhaps told) to do it. Never a good idea to have someone doing something under sufferance.
Yep fair dropped in it I'd suggest.

Having a heavily censored media / PR dept seems pointless, and is a tad dismissive of our collective intelligence.

Controlled info evolves into nothing more than propaganda.

I'm amazed that anyone following the AFL over the last 30 years would expect anything other than strict propaganda from the clubs.

Along those lines, the fact that Bigfooty still exists somewhat outside the AFL's grasp is something we should all be grateful for. I'm sure they would loved to have had it dead and buried by now. Or at least controlling it like Murdoch is controlling the ABC these days.

I'm amazed that anyone following the AFL over the last 30 years would expect anything other than strict propaganda from the clubs.

Along those lines, the fact that Bigfooty still exists somewhat outside the AFL's grasp is something we should all be grateful for. I'm sure they would loved to have had it dead and buried by now. Or at least controlling it like Murdoch is controlling the ABC these days.

I’m sure intelligent supporters know they’ve been fed sanitised info for years, but is it truly too much to ask that they share some basic, honest info, with their fans?

It sounds like Mitch tried, and has departed the club because he became disillusioned with their paranoia.

Courageous post, one that is almost to good to be on an internet forum. I really appreciate this.

It’s almost refreshing to hear coming from the automated reply historically fed from the club. It’s definitely opened my perspective on how the club operates with its stakeholders. Also had a real humble moment knowing im entirely guilty of labelling Adam.

I hope you’re richer for the experience at the club in some way.

I’m sure intelligent supporters know they’ve been fed sanitised info for years, but is it truly too much to ask that they share some basic, honest info, with their fans?

It sounds like Mitch tried, and has departed the club because he became disillusioned with their paranoia.
This is a non inclusive club. So not communicating with us honestly and in a timely way is just one example of not engaging with members let alone supporters.

What exactly do you want to know that the club isn't telling?

By the way Mitch I thought you did a good job.

Who knows?

When information is deliberately withheld and concealed it’s hard to know exactly what is available.

We’re not asking them to share state secrets, but some solid engagement with members and supporters alike. But it seems there’s a little paranoia within the inner sanctum.

Mitch, by his own admission, has left out of frustration with the degree of censorship and confines placed on him, and the flat out obstruction of his plans to provide the engagement we seek.

This is very consistent with what I've always suspected about the club.
Trapped in a veil of secrecy by a few old, influential, and paranoid campaigners.
Hopefully they can move on soon and we can see a more open and transparent club

Great to see official representatives (past in your case) come on and take the time to post in here. I appreciate that and am sure many others do on here.

In terms of the restrictions you had for posting content and information, what where the major things you were not allowed to get into and communicate with the public? What was off limits that had to strictly stay in house? What are the main reasons why?

Genuinely interested fan as to the mechanics of what goes on.

Appreciate any response, and also understand any restrictions you may have with divulging information.

This is very consistent with what I've always suspected about the club.
Trapped in a veil of secrecy by a few old, influential, and paranoid campaigners.
Hopefully they can move on soon and we can see a more open and transparent club

I asked the question, but am hypothesising with common sense right now, that if your after transparency with issues such as players carrying niggles and complaints, or game plan matters or selection reasons, the club for obvious reasons is not going to go on a public spree and announce it to the public.

What are the areas You want more transparency and openness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back