Roast The club is bigger than the individual

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am getting a bit sick already of all the people throwing in the towel and wanting to throw away their memberships and seemingly encouraging others to do the same.

The club is bigger than the individuals.

I am in no way an apologist for the individuals at our club may well have failed this year (I will wait til the end of the year to do my review) but I have been a Port member my entire life and that is not going to change any time soon.

I will still be here supporting the club both emotionally and financially for as long as there is a PAFC and I will keep agitating for change until we are holding the cup aloft again.

And I know that the victory will be all the sweeter for it, just like it was in 2004.

This club needs your support, we are not a massive financial behemoth. We need all our members to 'live the creed', agitate from the inside not from outside, and make sure we return to where we belong.

HTFU.

You've convinced me. I received my raffle tickets for the club's major lottery today and I was thinking of sending them back with a note saying "Sorry, I can't sell these in Perth - people just laugh at me."

But no, I'll buy them all myself as I do every year. And what I'm saving on Premiership Fund donations I can spend on raffle tickets, hey? I won a signed footy in the last one!

I agree with the thought behind the thread. I can't comprehend that someone would ditch a membership. I can understand not wanting to attend, as it is emotionally exhausting, but I couldn't ever stop supporting my club.

Personally I just came home a month ago from my honeymoon through Europe. We were 4-3 when I left, and besides the Eagles smashing us the day I hopped on a plane to Egypt, the last game I saw live was the emotionally sapping loss to Geelong which had me feeling like I needed a break.

While I was away the club went 7-1.

I came back thinking "here we go, we've arrived". Even though the only game I got to watch, in full, completely live, was the loss to the Hawks.

Since then we've gone 1-4. We haven't arrived.

So while I've been in Australia we are 5-7. While I was away we are 7-1.

So for me I 100% feel like I need a break from this team. I'm sick of them pissing away opportunities, and I'm sick of watching us do the same crap over and over. So again, I completely understand all the deserved negativity the team is getting, and I remain bitter and twisted myself because of what I've seen. However no matter what I'd never ditch a membership, jump ship or stop supporting my club.

I am getting a bit sick already of all the people throwing in the towel and wanting to throw away their memberships and seemingly encouraging others to do the same.

The club is bigger than the individuals.

I am in no way an apologist for the individuals at our club may well have failed this year (I will wait til the end of the year to do my review) but I have been a Port member my entire life and that is not going to change any time soon.

I will still be here supporting the club both emotionally and financially for as long as there is a PAFC and I will keep agitating for change until we are holding the cup aloft again.

And I know that the victory will be all the sweeter for it, just like it was in 2004.

This club needs your support, we are not a massive financial behemoth. We need all our members to 'live the creed', agitate from the inside not from outside, and make sure we return to where we belong.

HTFU.

You're right, the club is bigger than the individual. So why on earth isn't this logic applied to Hinkley?
I love going to the footy and that won't change. I'm probably gonna get slammed a bit for this, but need to bite the bullet that a majority of people aren't hardcore supporters. They go for fun. It isn't fun watching the same old s**t for the past 4 years. This expectation that people give up half a day to rock up and watch the same garbage that has occurred since 2015 is ridiculous and simply won't ever happen for any club, regardless of the club. Why should they give up their minimal free time for it?

The reality is, if people start voting with their feet, the club might finally get the boot up the arse they sorely need instead of seeing this insanely predictable bullshit that we've had for far too long.
Why are we playing without a ruck?
Why don't we have ready ruck depth for the fourth year in a row?
Why aren't we developing players?
Why is our forward efficiency so shithouse?
Why do we keep shitting the bed in close games?
Most importantly: Why on earth did Hinkley get such a long contract extension? What output indicated he deserved this extension?

I feel if the club was bigger than the individual, we'd probably have some answers to these questions. Instead, we keep getting the same old rhetoric, having the same issues and everyone notices. The meltdowns are admittedly pretty funny, but its gotten to that point with games now where I predict the result almost 5 minutes into the first quarter.

If you post on an internet forum about footy, you're more than likely what I'd define as a 'hardcore' supporter so yeah, kind of s**t to throw it all away based purely on s**t performances. But less committed members will stop signing up and attending, and I think we'll see that a bit next season. This isn't some Port Adelaide only type incident, it happens to every club in the league. Its s**t, but I'm really not surprised.

yep agree.

Its been disappointing yes. But to put some perspective on it.

If the Houston/Dixon collision didn't happen and if the score review worked properly, we would be on 14 wins and in the top 4.

Game of inches, these things happen unfortunately.

I agree with the thought behind the thread. I can't comprehend that someone would ditch a membership. I can understand not wanting to attend, as it is emotionally exhausting, but I couldn't ever stop supporting my club.

Personally I just came home a month ago from my honeymoon through Europe. We were 4-3 when I left, and besides the Eagles smashing us the day I hopped on a plane to Egypt, the last game I saw live was the emotionally sapping loss to Geelong which had me feeling like I needed a break.

While I was away the club went 7-1.

I came back thinking "here we go, we've arrived". Even though the only game I got to watch, in full, completely live, was the loss to the Hawks.

Since then we've gone 1-4. We haven't arrived.

So while I've been in Australia we are 5-7. While I was away we are 7-1.

So for me I 100% feel like I need a break from this team. I'm sick of them pissing away opportunities, and I'm sick of watching us do the same crap over and over. So again, I completely understand all the deserved negativity the team is getting, and I remain bitter and twisted myself because of what I've seen. However no matter what I'd never ditch a membership, jump ship or stop supporting my club.

Please for the love of god head back overseas!!!

Not sure why anyone would throw their membership away. We literally have a microwave on the bench you can use.

We’ll and truly over this club at the moment but give it a few weeks post season and I’ll be back on the horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t, I still want us to make the finals. Even if it’s only for one week. Srsly doubt that’ll happen, ffs.

But clearly this is all Coobkies fault.

Feckoff back to Europe, you cursed campaigner!
What do we get out of making finals for 1 week?

You want us to lose via comical fashion and get embarrassed for yet another week? Because if we make it, that's what will happen.

Ryder is cooked, Polec is gone, Dixon, Hartlett & Marshall are all out injured and we've got Jose Mourinho as our coach defending slim leads with half a game to go.

we should all support the club. but the club doesnt seem to be doing what the members want..we want premierships..and we believe attacking football is the way to do it...ken should be forced to listen to us and give up his loser defensive style.

I wish we could just say that but the club I love is reliant on these people for its survival.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah I think that’s what I’m saying. The numbers of rusted ons who renew every year doesn’t fluctuate much (RussellEbertHandball ????) so our number of ”microwavers” is fairly low.

Yeah I think that’s what I’m saying. The numbers of rusted ons who renew every year doesn’t fluctuate much (RussellEbertHandball ????) so our number of ”microwavers” is fairly low.

The post-AO happy clappers are the problem.

Clamouring to applaud the players off as they detonate their chances every other game.

I supported thick in the bad years of previous regime because it always like there was some accountability. Right now, accountability feels like it's at an all time low.

Sent from mTalk

Was there? I remember the line being drawn in the sand every week but I'm not sure what else you're referring to.

40 odd years after the first Port game I can recall attending, 45 years after first meeting the great man Russell Ebert, I've got no "club B" to fall back on.

Never have had, never will have.

In the darkest days of 2011-12 we had to contemplate the possibility of football supportery mortality. My opinion hasn't changed: were the club to fold, I'd watch some genuine "blockbuster" AFL, I'd have empathy for some other AFL clubs on some occasions but there would be no other AFL membership, not ever.

Right now 2018 feels like the "peak" of four years of an era of regular disappointments... but it isn't staring into the abyss of 2011-12 while still wrapped in the bigger "down" cycle of 2005-2012, not by a very long shot. A few career under performers on and off field who will probably be looked on fairly poorly by history aren't going to make me sign out. If I did that, I would deserve to be looked on just as poorly by history. ****, if individuals can't organize themselves to defeat the on field competition, they've no chance at defeating a club supporter.

This isn't an existential crisis, it's an execution crisis: we're on the cusp of becoming the running amusement Richmond were. We can learn from their decades of OMG-I-can't-believe-you-failed-like-that-again. You need passion to keep the body alive and you also need ice in the veins to cool the mind, to keep you thinking and moving forward not just flailing about. To not just be a flash in the pan for a season then revert to type. It can turn around, it can stay turned around.

Dumping a bloody load of manure isn't our way. Burning down the microwave isn't our way. Getting rid of the "no-hoper" and the "never-will-be" and giving folks a serious load of our minds is our way. So is ripping out things simply that aren't working after they've had time to prove themselves. "Working hard" was always meant to be about improvement, never as an excuse for dumb stubbornness, repeat failure or resistance to change. We've got the Power to win. Onward to victory.

I want to cancel my membership and get a new one because the guy who sits behind me is a ****wit and I'm not sure how much more I can take before I turn around and belt him, does that count?

I want to cancel my membership and get a new one because the guy who sits behind me is a ****wit and I'm not sure how much more I can take before I turn around and belt him, does that count?
Sorry. I'll try to be better

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back