AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Chocco gone shortly after being re-signed = blunder
Haysman's position made untenable due to pressure from sanfl
KT reccomended by the sanfl

mmm accountability?

A blunder to re-sign him. A correction to out him. I'd say the same thing if we ditch Ken next year... unless things have turned around.
Haysman was made untenable because he did the right thing for the club and stirred s**t up.
KT, recommended by the SANFL but at the time, made the right decisions that made our footy quickly improve, and get the club exposure.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I buy 5 platinum memberships each year and I will renew as they are great seats however I am roperable with the unaccountabilty of KT and the Board. I am rusted on and always go. Mr LC will go as long as they are selling beer however one of my kids has dropped off entirely a nd the other 2 pick and choose the games they attend. These are the ones we should be worried about, the ones in their 20's that their hearts and minds havent been totally captured. Pull your finger out Port. These 20 year olds will become families.and we want them on board.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
I'm not pissed off at the club entirely, (only keeping Hinkley as coach, and more recent M Voss as assistant)

It's more so the league itself and the governance of it.

Gillon is destroying the fabric of our game before our very own eyes and it's something AFL House can't recognise.
They claim they make changes with the fans experience at the fore front, but it's becoming more obvious that all they're trying to do is maximise there bottom dollar for the TV networks.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You're right, the club is bigger than the individual. So why on earth isn't this logic applied to Hinkley?
I love going to the footy and that won't change. I'm probably gonna get slammed a bit for this, but need to bite the bullet that a majority of people aren't hardcore supporters. They go for fun. It isn't fun watching the same old s**t for the past 4 years. This expectation that people give up half a day to rock up and watch the same garbage that has occurred since 2015 is ridiculous and simply won't ever happen for any club, regardless of the club. Why should they give up their minimal free time for it?

The reality is, if people start voting with their feet, the club might finally get the boot up the arse they sorely need instead of seeing this insanely predictable bullshit that we've had for far too long.
Why are we playing without a ruck?
Why don't we have ready ruck depth for the fourth year in a row?
Why aren't we developing players?
Why is our forward efficiency so shithouse?
Why do we keep shitting the bed in close games?
Most importantly: Why on earth did Hinkley get such a long contract extension? What output indicated he deserved this extension?

I feel if the club was bigger than the individual, we'd probably have some answers to these questions. Instead, we keep getting the same old rhetoric, having the same issues and everyone notices. The meltdowns are admittedly pretty funny, but its gotten to that point with games now where I predict the result almost 5 minutes into the first quarter.

If you post on an internet forum about footy, you're more than likely what I'd define as a 'hardcore' supporter so yeah, kind of s**t to throw it all away based purely on s**t performances. But less committed members will stop signing up and attending, and I think we'll see that a bit next season. This isn't some Port Adelaide only type incident, it happens to every club in the league. Its s**t, but I'm really not surprised.
Good post but we have to acknowledge crowds are down. I know people that have stopped going because they dislike the way we play and have had enough. Maybe this is unusual but crowd numbers are declining for a reason.

tryonthis

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can wholeheartedly agree with this thread.

I haven't seen a Port game since the early rounds of 2016 -- I moved to London to commence my dream job and have continued to fork out for a premium membership year after year. I try give out my membership to friends and family but rarely do they take up the offer!

Although being a relatively 'young' supporter, I feel as if I've experienced more downs than up with supporting Port -- I attended that ~140 smashing against Collingwood, and then spent 9+ hours roadtripping to the MCG the following week to see the hawks smash us by ~160 odd points (thanks to Tiger being grounded that week).

Recently, I've been on holidays over the last 4 weeks before returning to Aus -- I caught a 3am soviet-era bus in Bulgaria and spent the next 4 hours crammed like a sardine traveling to the airport to be 4 hours early for my flight so I could watch the game (the only place I could find reliable WiFi was at the airport... only to watch us lose against the Crows in post-gate).

Cue to last weekend... spent my time watching the Eagles game on some shitty cafe WiFi instead of going out exploring. I got quite the look when I chucked my headphones at my laptop and started laughing out loud (got quite a few looks from the locals... meh).

I feel so emotionally invested in Port and these recent, reoccurring failures are putting a dampener on my holidays (I know, save me the sympathy -ha!) that I've given up on this season. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll still probably go on a search and rescue mission to find some shitty WiFi to watch the remaining matches, because there is no Team B to support. The club is (and always will be) bigger than the individual. I just feel a bit stupid intentionally booking my flights back to Adelaide around finals thinking we're a good chance this year. Ah well.

I haven't seen a Port game since the early rounds of 2016 -- I moved to London to commence my dream job and have continued to fork out for a premium membership year after year. I try give out my membership to friends and family but rarely do they take up the offer!

Although being a relatively 'young' supporter, I feel as if I've experienced more downs than up with supporting Port -- I attended that ~140 smashing against Collingwood, and then spent 9+ hours roadtripping to the MCG the following week to see the hawks smash us by ~160 odd points (thanks to Tiger being grounded that week).

Recently, I've been on holidays over the last 4 weeks before returning to Aus -- I caught a 3am soviet-era bus in Bulgaria and spent the next 4 hours crammed like a sardine traveling to the airport to be 4 hours early for my flight so I could watch the game (the only place I could find reliable WiFi was at the airport... only to watch us lose against the Crows in post-gate).

Cue to last weekend... spent my time watching the Eagles game on some shitty cafe WiFi instead of going out exploring. I got quite the look when I chucked my headphones at my laptop and started laughing out loud (got quite a few looks from the locals... meh).

I feel so emotionally invested in Port and these recent, reoccurring failures are putting a dampener on my holidays (I know, save me the sympathy -ha!) that I've given up on this season. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll still probably go on a search and rescue mission to find some shitty WiFi to watch the remaining matches, because there is no Team B to support. The club is (and always will be) bigger than the individual. I just feel a bit stupid intentionally booking my flights back to Adelaide around finals thinking we're a good chance this year. Ah well.
Super post. Loukas Founten should put it on the Club website after checking certain facts with you.
Right, GremioPower ?

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
yep agree.

Its been disappointing yes. But to put some perspective on it.

If the Houston/Dixon collision didn't happen and if the score review worked properly, we would be on 14 wins and in the top 4.

Game of inches, these things happen unfortunately.
If the score review worked properly we would've kicked the ball in and the Crows would've undoubtedly created another shot at goal, as they'd been doing all night, and likely from that they win the game.

If Dixon and Houston weren't hurt, there's a chance we held on, but this isn't the first time this has happened. We choked twice against the Crows this year in unlosable positions without injuries. So what is to say it wouldn't have just happened again.

Good teams find a way to win. We aren't a good team.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I will renew next year but the thought of going through another boring season again fills me with dread. The most enjoyable part occurs b4 the game starts.

A question I have - Has anyone heard Ken take some responsibility for poor performances because I've missed it. As I stopped listening to his press conferences I may have missed this. I do read the quotes posted on here and the PA website quotes though.

Living with the same time difference my sanity has been saved by WatchAFL this season.

Wake up Saturday/Sunday morning, mute relevant Whatsapp groups and stay off facebook, watch the game at some point (usually later that afternoon). If I suspect for one second there's a heartbreaking Portesque loss on the cards, fast forward to the end and check the score.. we win, leave it on, we lose switch it off and save the anguish. Until I can trust the team I'm electing to stay in this happy place where I get to casually watch a win or I don't watch the game and save a couple hours of my weekend.. I believe this is what the Richmond supporters call #eco :rainbow:

Dour gameplans that seemingly only deliver painful close losses will drive people away and kill membership revenue.

We had 93% retention of 11-game members in part because of our massive recruitment coups. This year we’re probably losing Polec and Saints might trump us for Lycett. Ryder is our most important player and is increasingly looking cooked.

In the coaches’ box it’s looking like there’ll only be cosmetic changes and Hinkley is locked in for 3 more years.

There’s not much to get excited about in 2019. We’re ****ed.

tryonthis

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Living with the same time difference my sanity has been saved by WatchAFL this season.

Wake up Saturday/Sunday morning, mute relevant Whatsapp groups and stay off facebook, watch the game at some point (usually later that afternoon). If I suspect for one second there's a heartbreaking Portesque loss on the cards, fast forward to the end and check the score.. we win, leave it on, we lose switch it off and save the anguish. Until I can trust the team I'm electing to stay in this happy place where I get to casually watch a win or I don't watch the game and save a couple hours of my weekend.. I believe this is what the Richmond supporters call #eco :rainbow:

Yeah mate, WatchAFL has been a godsend for me too.

I work as a Paramedic so I'm often working crazy shift patterns - I'd often get up at 3am to watch the early game before heading off to work at 6am for a 12hr shift. Similarly, I'd often stay up after a 12hr night shift to watch Port play because I don't think I could avoid spoiling the result for myself. Those bloody 'We win, you win' emails are annoying, huh? Or hell, I'd be getting up at 3am on my day off to watch Port live and then try not to let the result ruin my weekend. I'm too invested in this club!

I just want to see the club be proactive with future decision-making so that it can rebuild some confidence amongst supporters. Everything feels stagnant and I'm worried we'll continue to be mediocre in 2019 and beyond.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Honestly, if we get back to mid to low 20k crowds, I don't think there'd be a way back a second time. The gil led AFL certainly wouldn't support the club anywhere near as much as the demetriou regime. Don't forget, we couldn't even land a joint major sponsor this year!
Either way, lower crowds is where we're headed. Not everyone who turns up is a die-hard supporter.

These threads are always pointless tho because Bigfooty posters are the least likely to drop off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or sit with your arms crossed.

Or yell a gradually increasing volume fuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUCK

Like the guy behind me whenever the opposition kick a goal.

Aug 16, 2009
Latvia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
Or yell a gradually increasing volume fuuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUCK

Like the guy behind me whenever the opposition kick a goal.

Can't remember what game it was but a dude about 3 rows in front of me spat it after I said "Jesus Christ" about 30 times during the game.

"Say something else" he yelled at me.

"Muhammad!" I yelled after the oppositions next goal.

I giggled.

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good post but we have to acknowledge crowds are down. I know people that have stopped going because they dislike the way we play and have had enough. Maybe this is unusual but crowd numbers are declining for a reason.
The atmosphere was the worst I’ve ever felt. It was as though we all new the result after first quarter where they were slowly grinding us down. I was ready to walk half time. I wished I had.

Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
Like a few others here don’t get home to watch games often. Signed up as a Foundation member all those years ago and have retained membership every year since. Left Australia in 2008 and retained seats for the first couple of years but family and friends lost interest so ended up changing to international membership.
I can’t remember the last time I missed a game on WatchAFL.
Lately though it’s getting to the point if we have other things to do I’ll settle for the replay.
Losing on a Thursday or Friday means I get grumpy and I start to question whether I need to step back for a bit.
I love the Club and I doubt I’ll cancel or fail to renew my membership but we are getting harder to watch.
The only saving grace is that at some stage we’ll make some changes and the highs when we start to win again will be awesome. Just hope that we see some changes soon!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I work as a Paramedic so I'm often working crazy shift patterns - I'd often get up at 3am to watch the early game before heading off to work at 6am for a 12hr shift. Similarly, I'd often stay up after a 12hr night shift to watch Port play because I don't think I could avoid spoiling the result for myself. Those bloody 'We win, you win' emails are annoying, huh? Or hell, I'd be getting up at 3am on my day off to watch Port live and then try not to let the result ruin my weekend. I'm too invested in this club!

I just want to see the club be proactive with future decision-making so that it can rebuild some confidence amongst supporters. Everything feels stagnant and I'm worried we'll continue to be mediocre in 2019 and beyond.
Ha.. yeah that email spoiled it for me one time too, similarly a random Google+ notification this year.. I used to get up at 6-7am for the games but lately the activities of sleep / getting over a hangover have been taking priority.

Still maintain my membership like you but living over here, when Port are doing poorly it doesn't really affect me since it's easy to compartmentalise when you're not inundated with AFL chat every day. Can only imagine what it must be like for the poor souls living this in Adelaide right now, although nothing would beat being in Adelaide after games like the Motlop Showdown. Higher lows and lower highs I guess.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The atmosphere was the worst I’ve ever felt. It was as though we all new the result after first quarter where they were slowly grinding us down. I was ready to walk half time. I wished I had.
Agree re the slow grind and inevitability of a close grinding finish. In my area I'm more vocal in terms of my dislike for the game plan. But you could feel and see the frustration levels rising as the game progressed. Lets face it, weve seen it all before so many times.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Set up an email rule to put all spoiler emails in a separate folder (eg anything from PAFC).

As I see it, its important to teach your kids resilience.
Watching PAFC teaches you resilience.
Hence buying your kids football memberships and taking them to games is something you should do for their long-term wellbeing.

Me, I just want the Port Adelaide arrogance back.
Remember Round 3 1997 when we beat Geelong.
Did any of us say - wow we beat the almighty Geelong?
No of course not - we EXPECTED to win.

I want that expectation back damnit!

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Agree re the slow grind and inevitability of a close grinding finish. In my area I'm more vocal in terms of my dislike for the game plan. But you could feel and see the frustration levels rising as the game progressed. Lets face it, weve seen it all before so many times.
You could hear a pin drop after the game & if looks could kill. A lot of furious ppl.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
I ordered these items from the Port Store a few weeks ago - they arrived within 3 days which was nice. We've won one game since then, I think when they were in the wash.

b2bf3593-1ab2-474e-91ff-c45633eba03c.png
1e25051b-a518-4ee3-bc10-354b809baafa.png

With humiliating losses to both WA teams since I received these, I now keep them for 'indoors wear' only - imagine walking through the streets of Perth with these on - and no longer on match days :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back