The Club Song?

What is your position on the club song currently played before and after games at Kardinia Park?

• Stop living in the past, the new song is good and the old one should stay fully retired by the club.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanting to start a thread and get a feel on peoples opinion on the new recording of the club song now we are 12 months into it being played at our games.

Was listening after the game on Saturday night and just feel it misses something, the pre 2018 song got me up and about alot more than the new one, the new one sounds ok, but I don't know why it just lacks something the old one has.

So lets see what what people think on here?

So here's the recordings of both the original and the new versions:

Original:

New:

My thoughts are that the new version is tacky and lacks the big brass and deep bass feel that the old one has. Especially when it rings around the stadium, the new version just doesn't have the same feel as the old one.

Not sure whether I'd go to the full extent of kicking up a stink myself, but I'd gladly sign a petition etc. to reinstate the original version

The original track - using 'real' instrumentation - was recorded live and produced with the perfect amount of reverb and echo in the mix to be played on analogue systems, whether it be radio, at home on cassettes or large arenas. No matter the speaker system, it would still sound perfectly fine.

The new version - digitally recorded with overdubs - has been produced with little thought or imagination. It's also been compressed, making it highly likely to sound shithouse when blasting out over whatever speaker system a large stadium has.

The old recording needs to be re-instated ASAP.

I have no idea why they changed it in the first place?

There’s something about the new one that is just lacking, the sooner they change it back the better.

So here's the recordings of both the original and the new versions:

Original:

New:

My thoughts are that the new version is tacky and lacks the big brass and deep bass feel that the old one has. Especially when it rings around the stadium, the new version just doesn't have the same feel as the old one.

Not sure whether I'd go to the full extent of kicking up a stink myself, but I'd gladly sign a petition etc. to reinstate the original version

You go Girl/Boy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The original track - using 'real' instrumentation - was recorded live and produced with the perfect amount of reverb and echo in the mix to be played on analogue systems, whether it be radio, at home on cassettes or large arenas. No matter the speaker system, it would still sound perfectly fine.

The new version - digitally recorded with overdubs - has been produced with little thought or imagination. It's also been compressed, making it highly likely to sound shithouse when blasting out over whatever speaker system a large stadium has.

The old recording needs to be re-instated ASAP.
Thanks, you have put into words what I am not competent to say. The old version had a richness that the new one doesn't. You can particularly hear it in the opening piano motif. The old one is full and loud and really gives fans the entry to belt out the tune. The new piano bit is almost invisible.

It's still a jaunty song and fun to sing at games, but it doesn't sound half as rich or loud. I love change and progress in most areas of life, but in this case I am a crusty old conservative. Bring back the old song!

... oh and one thing is for sure. The new version is a million times better than the abomination that is "Cat Attack" as played on the krock podcast. That is several minutes of rancid cheese.

... oh and one thing is for sure. The new version is a million times better than the abomination that is "Cat Attack" as played on the krock podcast. That is several minutes of rancid cheese.

I visited the krock podcast to see that you were talking about the same 'cat attack' song I remember from the early 90's. I removed my ears from commercial radio a long time ago and this just reinforces my absence.

This is more curiosity than genuine annoyance but why do clubs/companies seem to "refresh" things for the sake of it. Be it a logo or a jingle. I'm almost certain it's not from customer feedback. Do the slick marketing guys just have to look like they are actually doing something?

This is more curiosity than genuine annoyance but why do clubs/companies seem to "refresh" things for the sake of it. Be it a logo or a jingle. I'm almost certain it's not from customer feedback. Do the slick marketing guys just have to look like they are actually doing something?

I know for the club songs the AFL claimed that the older recordings were deteriorating (or something along those lines) so they decided to re-record them, and did a fairly average job of it.

I have a crystal-clear MP3 recording of the OG Cats theme song (the one we know and love) on my laptop from a CD, so I've got no idea why they think they were ageing

I visited the krock podcast to see that you were talking about the same 'cat attack' song I remember from the early 90's. I removed my ears from commercial radio a long time ago and this just reinforces my absence.

Nice of you to drop by, even if it was only for a short time.

Here's the thing - Doesn't precisely matter a whole much; the only version that matters is the one the players sing.

The one Matty Stokes used to mime rather than sing? I read somewhere (or someone told me over a beer) that Stokesy, after playing injured in the 2008 GF, didn't consider himself worthy of singing it after any subsequent win. Also some of the reason he was in the Half-Cat suit during the 2009 GF (when he was also injured but outed himself from the team).

Back