Analysis The club telling us fans how to behave?

Ed: "This is where true Collingwood supporters stand up"

• It's Ed's job to pull us into line and finger who is and isn't a true Collingwood supporter

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • WTF is Ed telling me what a true Collingwood supporter is and ain't?

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Whatevers

Votes: 30 52.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ed has often said "Side by side" is more than just a line from the club song ...

"Side by side we stick together"

... and that Collingwood has the only club song in the AFL that acknowledges us fans ...

"See the barrackers are shouting ..."

... but we also have the only club song that tells us fans how to behave ...

"... as all good barackers should"

... has this line also become more than just a line from the club song?

Ed's passionate speech at the season launch ...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-03-07/eddies-passion-opens-the-season

... does continue the theme of what good barrackers should do and what bad barrackers don't do. It's not the first time.

Not questioning that whether it's a good thing or bad thing to get behind our team.

Just asking whether it's the club's / President's job to tell us so explicitly that that's what we should be doing?

Thoughts?

Is that entirely what is expected of Ed as the representative of the members and by extension the fans? Is it within Ed's remit to tell us what we should and shouldn't be doing?

Or does it stoke the coals of your staunch independence, your anarchistic underbelly, your small 'd' democrat, your crushed subjugated self yearning to breathe free? Is it counter productive?

Or is just a case of 'Yeah, whatever. Ed does his thing. I do my thing."?

Poll above

Ed has often said "Side by side" is more than just a line from the club song ...

... and that Collingwood has the only club song in the AFL that acknowledges us fans ...

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-03-07/eddies-passion-opens-the-season

... does continue the theme of what good barrackers should do and what bad barrackers don't do. It's not the first time.

Not questioning that whether it's a good thing or bad thing to get behind our team.

Just asking whether it's the club's / President's job to tell us so explicitly that that's what we should be doing?

Thoughts?

Is that entirely what is expected of Ed as the representative of the members and by extension the fans? Is it within Ed's remit to tell us what we should and shouldn't be doing?

Or does it stoke the coals of your staunch independence, your anarchistic underbelly, your small 'd' democrat, your crushed subjugated self yearning to breathe free? Is it counter productive?

Poll above
Good thread 76, we are bloody lucky to have Ed as a president but he hasn't got a snowball's hope in hell of making fans 'toe the line'.

Even the most superficial skim of the game day threads here will educate anyone on the prospects of getting some people to think before they vent.

Thoughts?

Poll above
Ed is spot on. True supporters stick with the club and don’t bag players in a disrespectful way. Is it his job to point that out? Of course it is, he’s the president of the club.

Amazing how figures under pressure start becoming very preoccupied with issues of respect. It's never about them though. Just sayin'

Children should be seen and not heard, eh Jmac?
I’d like to see the mods on our board take Ed’s lead and start carding posters who are abusive towards the players in the game day thread.

I’d like to see the mods on our board take Ed’s lead and start carding posters who are abusive towards the players in the game day thread.

So saying player 'X' is s**t?

Head in the clouds only posts then?

Or are they allowed to post it but in more "PC" terms? like: Player 'X' is football challenged?

So saying player 'X' is s**t?

Head in the clouds only posts then?

Or are they allowed to post it but in more "PC" terms? like: Player 'X' is football challenged?
‘Player X is playing like s**t’ is perfectly fine. It’s when people say stuff like ‘f*ck off player x’ that I think something should be done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what about player 'X' shouldn't be getting a game? That is effectively the same comment just using more words and less vulgar.
Have a read back through the JLT 1 game day thread, you’ll find plenty of examples of abuse. It seems to be allowed though under the guise of venting.

Leadership is unrecognisable by many, which kind of says a lot really

Oh you mean like his leadership on A.Goodes and King kong gaf?

200w.webp

Apparently Ed thinks before he speaks. :think:

What about "Mayne is a useless spud and is wasting a spot on our list"?

I mean

"Player M is a useless spud and is wasting a spot on our list"
I think that’s pretty much abuse.

Have a read back through the JLT 1 game day thread, you’ll find plenty of examples of abuse. It seems to be allowed though under the guise of venting.

I could probably just look back through my own posting history and I'm sure to find something that would meet your criteria. I'm no saint in this department.

Footy, passion, frustration/anger and alcohol = unfiltered posting on occasions. There is no "under guise of", it is genuinely people posting their thoughts or feelings at that time.

Does it go over the top on occasions? sure but mods can clean anything up that is too abusive. I think you are being a bit thin skinned with some of it as well.

I don't think McGuire's speech was too bad and if some of the negativity around here is any guide I think he has a fair point. Some thoughts on what he said:

- nice little dig at the AFL and northern clubs with regards to assistance stopping ups and downs
- the fans not knowing about a bloke playing through injury and the group suffering after a loss is fair enough, but that's not just on the fans perhaps the club needs to be more open to sharing those experiences, so the fan has a better understanding
- the same could be said about seeing blokes train or the blueprint, a credit to the club though their preseason coverage was pretty good and for mine a step in the right direction
- pumping up seeing the VFL at Victoria Park, why so many games at Olympic Park then?

I don't think McGuire's speech was too bad and if some of the negativity around here is any guide I think he has a fair point. Some thoughts on what he said:

- nice little dig at the AFL and northern clubs with regards to assistance stopping ups and downs
- the fans not knowing about a bloke playing through injury and the group suffering after a loss is fair enough, but that's not just on the fans perhaps the club needs to be more open to sharing those experiences, so the fan has a better understanding
- the same could be said about seeing blokes train or the blueprint, a credit to the club though their preseason coverage was pretty good and for mine a step in the right direction
- pumping up seeing the VFL at Victoria Park, why so many games at Olympic Park then?
All good points, think that Ed may have lost touch with most supporters.

Happy to see that whatevers is polling quite well so far. Hope it wins in a landslide.

Back